Just bought 2008 CX-9 GT

COBRA617

:
2014 Mazda 6 GT
2019 CX-5 Signature
2024 CX-5 Signature
Hi all,
I've been working my wife over to get a larger vehicle that we can use for vacations and when the need arises. We are a 3 car household.
I have a 2006 Subaru Forester Turbo (love this car as the ultimate sleeper...I have it super modded out with turbo/engine/suspension upgrades)
My wife split time between an 2007 Acura RDX and a 2005 Acura TL (Both had the technology package)
Whichever car my wife wasn't driving was used by my daycare provider (my mother in law (boom06) ) to shuttle my kids around. Don't want my kids in her 1996 dilapidated Nissan.

So I convinced my wife to let me trade out her beloved TL for a CX-9. I found what seemed to be the perfect CX-9 at a dealer, so off I went to look at it.

I love the vehicle. But my wife will need some work. After I got the CX-9 I had 3 issues. 1 was my fault and it is a doozy as it relates to my wife. The other 2 I hope to work out soon.
- 1st issue is that the vehicle only had 1 of the advanced keyless entry fobs. This didn't come up until everything was signed and I was about to drive off. Salesperson was telling me that it was hundreds of dollars to get a replacement. This didn't make me very happy. I am hoping it is less than that and he didn't have the correct pricing.
- Another issue is that the handsfree bluetooth was locked with a passcode and I can't do anything with it. (Didn't notice this until I got home) I am hoping that Mazda can help me with a reset procedure on Monday.
- The last issue is really causing me to take a lot of grief from my wife. There is no Satellite radio. This is my fault. I saw the satellite button and just assumed that it had it. We were spoiled by our last 2 Acuras as there is no option for satellite. It comes standard. My wife was pretty ticked off at me....check that REALLY ticked at me. I am not sure how I will proceed. I am not willing to spend over $600 (what I've seen people on here quote) to have the factory satellite tuner installed. My wife doesn't want aftermarket as she wants the display on the Nav. I fear that my only option is to get the kit and install it myself. It looks like that this will cause me to kiss a weekend goodbye. Might be worth it. She has been harassing me with "You had me trade an Acura for a Mazda? Are you nuts?" I know she is exaggerating just to bust my chops but I know that no satellite really irks her. I guess she'll be driving the RDX exclusively until I figure out what to do.

Sigh......
But on a more positive note.....I am already prepping to "customize" this vehicle to my liking. I am going to replace all of the interior lighting with LEDs. (Rectangular Array leds as I like LOTS of interior light). I am also going to convert the fogs to HID 4300k (to match the factory HID projectors) and am just itching to do more.

Thanks for listening.

Congrats on your 2008 GT. As you can see from my sig, I got one also (AWD version).

If you plan to buy the kit, try mazdaparts.org.
Don't forget the switch box. Otherwise, your aux port will be useless. That is only needed for older models like
our 2008s.

1) key: Better get the 2nd set now. Otherwise, it will cost you an arm and a leg to get new key if you lose your only remaining one.
2) passcode: I thought disconnecting the battery will reset everything. (not 100% sure it also resets BT)
3) sat radio: as said above. Mazda accessories come with clear instructions. They could be 30 pages long, but I am sure you are up to it. Good luck.

Eric

Congrats on your 2008 GT. As you can see from my sig, I got one also (AWD version).

If you plan to buy the kit, try mazdaparts.org.
Don't forget the switch box. Otherwise, your aux port will be useless. That is only needed for older models like
our 2008s.

1) key: Better get the 2nd set now. Otherwise, it will cost you an arm and a leg to get new key if you lose your only remaining one.
2) passcode: I thought disconnecting the battery will reset everything. (not 100% sure it also resets BT)
3) sat radio: as said above. Mazda accessories come with clear instructions. They could be 30 pages long, but I am sure you are up to it. Good luck.

Eric

Eric,
Thanks for the note. We actually also have AWD. I'll try the battery tomorrow.

I know I can handle the sat install...just don't feel like it. Oddly one of my hobbies is collecting and working on pinball machines. The Sirius install pales in comparison to refurbing a pinball.

Eric,
I noticed on your avatar you have an AWD badge. I had a moment of panic when I got home and noticed mine didn't have that badge. AWD was a must. Decoding my VIN shows AWD and I also have the 4wd light come up on the dash (for a couple of seconds) when I start the car. So I guess I have AWD.

Don't try the battery disconnecting.
I posted the procedures for Hand-free passwd reset. You should try that first.
My AWD badge is from an Volvo (bought from eBay for less than $10). Use double-side 3M tape to stick it on.
The font looks the same as CX9. However, new CX9s have the AWD badge (since 2010, I think). You should get that one.

Man I had the same problem (not with the wife), but the dealer didn't disclose that there was only one smart key. I was somewhat annoyed about it and told them. I was quoted over $350.00 to get a second smart key for my CX9- and that's at dealer's cost. I did a review of the dealership on YELP and forwarded to the Sales person and the entire management. The sales rep I dealt with is supposedly will try to get something, but no promises. In the mean time, I went ahead and bought another smart key from eBay for $79. Waiting for it to come in. I just don't like the idea of having one key because it will cause me more if I lose the only key I have. I will get it programmed, and if the dealership says they would pay for at least the programming, I'm good with that.

Oh, I had a 3G TL too and I can see why your wife is busting your chops about getting rid of it ;) Good luck with everything!!!

rtpz00m3r, once you get your 2nd key programmed, buy a 3rd and program it yourself. I keep a spare in a lock box (the one with the most faded buttons) and 2 for regular use just in case I lose one, then now I'm at the point that all I have to do if I do lose one is buy another and program it myself.

rtpz00m3r, once you get your 2nd key programmed, buy a 3rd and program it yourself. I keep a spare in a lock box (the one with the most faded buttons) and 2 for regular use just in case I lose one, then now I'm at the point that all I have to do if I do lose one is buy another and program it myself.

Now that is not a bad idea.

Back