jri4's 2008 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3 Sport Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chippy, I am going to be reaching to our members that own multiple Mazdas and submit the article to Mazda for publication in Zoom, Zoom magazine. I know that Marc has multiple Mazdas as well as Tom, your family as well, Evan #1 and so do we. I want scout out a location where we can have a Cleveland landmark in the background. I'd like to have your input for the photoshoot.

There's a good spot in Ohio City where you could get the Cleveland skyline in the background. Or the flats at night would be awesome with the bridges lit up.

And my wife has a 3 and I have a Miata. :) so I have still have a couple Mazdas in the fam.

Two spots come to mind, although you have to remember I'ma country boy! Haven't spent much time in the big city!

First is the E. 9th st. pier. Obviously it dead ends into the lake, but if we can go at a time when no one else will be there, we could get everyone in. I took this shot from standing right in the center of where I would park all the cars:

Second is the Cleveland Aquarium. Huge parking lot, right by the river. Can see a lot of old historic bridges, the powerplant, and even some of the downtown skyline depending on the angle. This would be a great location!

Not my photo....
9162418-large.jpg

Next week I have a shoot booked on Sundaym and a meeting with a client for a wedding. Then depending, I might have to work on the 17th??? But if we can get some people together on the 2th or the 31st, my family would be available as well!

The 17th might be possible, I just dont know my work schedule quite yet. I will keep everyone updated. Maybe make a thread about this so we can get interest?

Let me know what works for you and Justine and we can have dinner and plan this out. Hope all is well with both of your families. I am sure you working on Saturday afternoon, but we will be hving a meet at the Fairlawn Lizard

105,000 mile oil change complete and drained the catch can (which had broken off it's mounting point and was hanging there)
Ordered a new pulley belt from RockAuto...mine is missing a rib and needs replaced immediately!

Also have two check engine codes:
P2187 - system is too lean at idle
P0096 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit Range/Performance
Gotta tighten all the clamps on the intake and check any boost lines, I'm guessing. I'm not to worried about it

Looking into getting two more Continental tires to replace the two that currently don't hold air. I'm itching to get my OZs back on the car!

Other miscellaneous that needs fixed before the summer:
Driver Halo is out (but I already have a replacement ballast, should be an easy fix)
Fix windshield chip

Then I will be ready to enjoy whatever I can come out to this summer. Hoping to run a few autocrosses and spectate at a few track days at MidOhio when I'm not working!

Hit 120,000 miles last week

Spring To-Do:
oil change
Install rear camber arms
alignment
new driver cv axle
fix windshield chip
valve cleaning

inspect timing chain
inspect coilovers (60,000+ miles old)
new battery *next winter*

if I had money:
rear sway bar
front-mount intercooler
cobb ap
fuel pump internals

18 more payments... then buy a DD for same monthly payment, tear down this car for a refresh and mild turbo build

Chippy's Back! Hit up JBR for the RSB, drop my name and tell him that you are a MOCO Volunteer!

Of course Marlon! I plan on being available to help at Belle Isle & Watkins Glen, and hoping to make an out-of-state vacation trip out of VIR, but that is Justine's 1st weekend back to school... Part of me wants to fly out for LRP, but it simply isn't practical and worth the money/time I'd actually be there...

All my vacation time will be spent after June 21st, honeymooning!

Adding to my Spring To-Do List

Spring To-Do:
oil change
Install rear camber arms
alignment
new driver cv axle
fix windshield chip
valve cleaning
clean EGR valve
new spark plugs
new intake air filter
cabin filter changed

inspect timing chain

Good to see you check in every once in a while, Chippy! Really glad you guys are doing well.

Quick questions, what brand are your coilovers? BC's, right?

Evan! They are BC Coilovers with over 60,000 miles on them now... Not really sure how long they are supposed to last. My suspension feels extremely stiff (jarring) these past few months, I can't tell if the weather is the culprit or if something else is to blame.

Would anyone be able to know the part# for the driver side (left) CV axle? I am not sure I trust RockAuto to get me the correct axle, but I really don't want to spend $$$ for OEM. I have nightmares about CV axles, as they are a major issue I deal with everyday at work, LOL

the part number for the ms3 front leeft cv axle is GG44-25-600R-0D
But the whole left drive shaft part number is GG46-25-600B which is what typically what people replace when the boot on their axle tears.
I would suggest trying to just replace the boot if your axle has not been running low on grease for too long. Cheap and easy

If you would like feel free to come out to my place and we can clean the valves whenever, I have the cleaner and the media with the blaster as well. I live in Medina now, just let me know if you want to come out and we can know everything out.

Evan! They are BC Coilovers with over 60,000 miles on them now... Not really sure how long they are supposed to last. My suspension feels extremely stiff (jarring) these past few months, I can't tell if the weather is the culprit or if something else is to blame.

Would anyone be able to know the part# for the driver side (left) CV axle? I am not sure I trust RockAuto to get me the correct axle, but I really don't want to spend $$$ for OEM. I have nightmares about CV axles, as they are a major issue I deal with everyday at work, LOL

I'd suggest an OE replacement from a junk yard. There are a few junk yards in California or Texas that specialize in Japanese cars and can get you an axle for around $100 shipped to your door. I actually picked one up this way as a spare.
Not that you're putting down a ton of power but I've heard bad things about the Rock Auto axles breaking and generally not being quality.

123,000 miles this week, items in red are crossed off my list and done!

Spring To-Do:

oil change
install rear camber arms
alignment
new driver cv axle
fix windshield chip
valve cleaning
clean EGR valve
new spark plugs
new intake air filter

cabin filter changed
Rebuild Forge Bypass Valve

inspect timing chain

hoping to rebuild axle, install camber arms, and alignment next week... do cabin filter sometime during the week...then get windshield fixed this summer. gonna hold off on cleaning the valves until IF the engine gets pulled for big turbo...same with EGR, right now it is not causing an issue...

Last edited:
125,000 miles this week, items in red are crossed off my list and done!

Spring To-Do:
oil change
install rear camber arms
alignment
new driver cv axle
New tires 225/40-18 Dunlop Direzza DZ101

fix windshield chip
valve cleaning
clean EGR valve
new spark plugs
new intake air filter
cabin filter changed
Rebuild Forge Bypass Valve

Fix CEL P0096

inspect timing chain

Has anyone used Safelite to fix small windshield chips? Mine is smaller than a dime...
The last real thing I want to do is clean my EGR valve and figure out my pesky CEL code P0096

At this time, the car is in the best shape mechanically that it has been in the past two years, possibly even since I bought it 5 years ago!
I finally may feel comfortable auto-x and tracking it, but still want to pay it off first... under $4000 to go!

Has anyone used Safelite to fix small windshield chips? Mine is smaller than a dime...

I've used Safelite several times on my MS3. I had to have my windshield replaced the first time because I had 2 chips (1 of the chips developed a nice long crack about 2 hours after it happened). Then 2 months later, I got another Windsheild chip. This time, I didn't wait and had them fix it the next day I believe. If they're small enough, they can fill the chip to prevent it from turning into a crack. It also makes it so the chip is pretty much invisible, unless you're looking at it from 2 inches away haha. Filling the chip was around $50 I believe, and they came out to my work to do it while I was working.

Last edited:
I've had a chip in my wife's car repaired by Safelite. It was covered by my previous insurance company (USAA), I just called my insurance they set up the appointment and paid for everything it was a great experience.

I know that my new insurance company (SafeCo) also covers chips as well.

Ya, check with your car insurance company as you may be covered. I have State Farm and my policy covers windshield damage, sort of. My insurance covers it, but there's a $500 deductible LOL. I thought it would be 100% covered and was starting to file the claim through State Farm. When they told me there's a $500 deductible, I immediately said NO and didn't make the claim. The Safelite quote for replacing the windshield was only $260 out-of-pocket if I didn't go through my insurance LOL.

We used Safelite and they have done a great job, ours was covered by insuance as well....

Ya, check with your car insurance company as you may be covered. I have State Farm and my policy covers windshield damage, sort of. My insurance covers it, but there's a $500 deductible LOL. I thought it would be 100% covered and was starting to file the claim through State Farm. When they told me there's a $500 deductible, I immediately said NO and didn't make the claim. The Safelite quote for replacing the windshield was only $260 out-of-pocket if I didn't go through my insurance LOL.

Yeah windshield replacement is the same thing for both my previous company and current company. Chips are free to fix though.

Yeah windshield replacement is the same thing for both my previous company and current company. Chips are free to fix though.

They replaced Lauri's cracked windshied on the 6, just had to pay a $50 deductible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back