I've blown 5 pairs of headlights in the last year.

MP5Girl

:
Vivid Yellow 2003 Mazda Protege5
No problems with the stock bulbs. Then I got a couple cheap pairs off ebay... blew those. Went to walmart... blew those. Got a cheap pair from Auto zone... blew those. Got the pretty $40 ones from Auto zone... blew both in the last 2 weeks although they did last the longest. This can't be normal! Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help!

something ain't right. i blew sylvannia bulbs in 3 months, and replaced them with apc's that lasted well over a year.

do you touch the bulbs before putting them in? If you get greasy fingerprints on them it's said to decrease their life because they overheat.

oil from hands and fingers creates hot spots that will burn out you headlights in no time at all...

Nope! Keeping the greasy fingers off!

OK actually with the first pair it happened but lesson learned. The last 4 pairs were print free!

Both Sides are blowing not simultaneously. No ryhme or reason to the burn outs although I think the left burnt out first mostly.

Yes... H7s with stock adapter... Is that the problem?

Although its unlikely this is the case, but if you slam your hood shut the force can break the filaments. Happened to me before.

nah, this sounds like something electrical...unless she has a habit of slamming that hard

MP5Girl said:
Both Sides are blowing not simultaneously. No ryhme or reason to the burn outs although I think the left burnt out first mostly.

Yes... H7s with stock adapter... Is that the problem?

that could be more than a bad bulb....surges will do this....anything elese goinon with the electrical system, you do anything recently???

Um... since the bulb problem? OY! The engine was replaced... twice. Took out CAI. Added exhaust and ground wiring kit.

I had the same problem. The stock connectors on my harnesses were getting all rusty and nasty. My dad is an electrical engineer and he said that it was arching. I have no idea what that is but because of it I was blowing bulbs left and right. I just said screw it and got a HID kit from Helios....I have been golden since.

bad grounds, arching = problems.....check out all your connections as advised...the bulbs never burn out together...something is causing a surge in voltage...what size lamp you running.....wattage?

Back