• MS3 is still el numero uno

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • I dislike this car on so many levels it will never, ever, grace my driveway

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

desperado-c

:
Mazdaspeed3
Even though I thought I'd always go lighter, lower, and more powerful, and would probably stick with a hatch, I was already finding a lot to like in the '09 Lancer Ralliart sedan. And now it looks like we'll get a hatchback in the not too distant future.

I'm trusting that the styling will be toned down a little for production and that at least 30 more horses can be safely coxed out of it's detuned (lower cams and single scroll turbo) Evo engine. If so, this could be my next car unless, of course, somebody else (Mazda?) comes out with an AWD hatch that's lower, lighter, and more powerful in this price range.

[It's coming] http://blogs.motortrend.com/6233370...ncer-sportback-is-coming-to-the-us/index.html

[Pix] http://www.leftlanenews.com/mitsubishi-lancer-sportback.html

[Official Spex for Sedan] http://evomn.net/cd/2009 Lancer Technical Specs Phase 2.pdf

Last edited:
The back windshield is waaaaaaaay too raked if that is the actual production model.

On the new Impreza they angled it a lot more than the old one, but I still think it looks ok. My wife didn't want one just for that reason. The lancer's back window is at like a 45 degree angle.

mitsubishi is going back to their roots. a cheap, versatile and extremely power full engine paird with different AWD platforms...anyone remember what the 1g talon, eclipses and 2g cars did to the sport compact market? NO other company could compete. personally if supporting vendors dont start dropping parts for the MS3 soon, im jumping ship for a ralliart lancer. the new evo hasnt been out a full month and they already have the powerplant @ 400hp...nuts.

And i hate to say it but when the ralliarts drops, its a Detuned evo...keep that in mind. so after a few bolt on's we wont be able to compete.

mitsubishi is going back to their roots. a cheap, versatile and extremely power full engine paird with different AWD platforms...anyone remember what the 1g talon, eclipses and 2g cars did to the sport compact market? NO other company could compete. personally if supporting vendors dont start dropping parts for the MS3 soon, im jumping ship for a ralliart lancer. the new evo hasnt been out a full month and they already have the powerplant @ 400hp...nuts.

And i hate to say it but when the ralliarts drops, its a Detuned evo...keep that in mind. so after a few bolt on's we wont be able to compete.

Do you work for Mitsubishi?
The thing weighs in at nearly 3500lbs!!
When it's all said and done the only real advantage this thing will have is being quick off the line due to awd, from a roll the MS3 will still smoke it due to a way better power / weight ratio. Handling? The MS3 is better at handling than the awd subura wrx, I wouldn't be surprised if it can out handle this ralliart as well.
Oh, and as far as the After-market, the MS3 allready has plenty of support. HEll, there's already bigger turbo kits avaliable if you're so concerned about a 235hp / 3500lb ralliart.

Last edited:
When it's all said and done the only real advantage this thing will have is being quick off the line due to awd, from a roll the MS3 will still smoke it due to a way better power / weight ratio. Handling? The MS3 is better at handling than the awd subura wrx, I wouldn't be surprised if it can out handle this ralliart as well.
Oh, and as far as the After-market, the MS3 allready has plenty of support. HEll, there's already bigger turbo kits avaliable if you're so concerned about a 235hp / 3500lb ralliart.

You're making all the arguments I will have with myself if and when I ever get to go for a test ride. But if the 3500 lbs doesn't completely spoil the handling, the power deficit can probably be dealt with by some easy mods, and I will probably swap out my little wheel spinner for it.

Two things that have already been mentioned ruin it for me. The hatch is so angled that the rear seat headroom will be just the same as the sedan. I love how the MS3 has so much rear seat headroom. And the sportback is too heavy. So I can't hang with it.

turbo kits and no tuning solution....nice rational.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that car will have 100x more larger aftermarket than the MS3 does and i guess it doesnt matter to you that the car can do close to 400awhp on the stock turbo huh? this is a pointless conversation until the car hits the show room in the fall anyway.

uhh i dont like how the evo looks nowadays. if u go back to the previous generations, then i'd like it. in any case, i'd still take a ms3 cause of its exclusiveness and price for the money.

i don't like it. The back looks like a giant stepped on a lexus SUV and the body shop just decided to repaint it. - thumbsdown.

the only real advantage this thing will have is being quick off the line due to awd, from a roll the MS3 will still smoke it due to a way better power / weight ratio.

IMHO - AWD makes a better car for daily driving. The car is more planted due to both weight and the fact that all four corners are working for you instead of being pushed/pulled as in a 2WD setup. "Frumarol"(2wd) racing is a great way to get a ticket, though it can be useful for a needed quick burst of movement at highway speeds when some asshat merges into your lane. "Frumadig"(awd) racing is less likely to get you a ticket - no tattletail wheelspin noise, more likely to put you way ahead of the pack by several car lengths by the time you reach the posted speed limit. The only downside I can think of with AWD is increased fuel consumption due to weight and drivetrain loss.

Anyone find a way to program the factory ECU yet on the MS3?

Originally Posted by desperado-c
if the 3500 lbs doesn't completely spoil the handling

don't worry, it will. :)

I think it will be a close question. The Evo X weighs about 250 lbs more than the IX and is just as fast or faster around the track according to R&T. Admittedly this is with the new whiz-bang AYC, but the point is that heavier is not necessarily worse handling. With the Evo IX's tried and true AWD system, the Sportback could still handle well enough to make a fair trade-off against the lighter MS3's FWD handling, despite the 350 lb handicap. Time will tell. We'll get a better idea when the Ralliart comes out and gets put through it's paces.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back