Issue with Spare Tire (2019 CX-5)

Tow company could not get my never used spare tire to mount on my front wheel of my 2019 CX5. Firestone said it was hitting on the caliper and could not be mounted.
Anyone had this problem?

Yes. I never paid much attention to it before, but there is a warning in the manual that does mention not to put the spare on the front wheel because handling would be terrible with a spare on the front wheel. And it makes total sense when you think about it.

yeah, had the same issue with my cx5. The spare is meant for the rear wheels only. gotta do the tire shuffle - move a rear to the front, then put the spare on the back. bit of a pain but it works.

I scoured the local classifieds for a "Spare" wheel which matched the dimensions of my stock wheel as closely as possible (225/55/R17) . I found a single brand new wheel+ tire off a Lexus ES350 that is 215 instead of 225, and the total offset is only 1mm off. It isn't even much heavier than the spare donut.

Something to consider, should you happen to come across something that's the same or similar size as your OEM wheel.

Every vehicle manufacturer says the same thing.

DO NOT PUT THE LIMITED USE DOUGHNUT SPARE ON THE FRONT.

Tow company could not get my never used spare tire to mount on my front wheel of my 2019 CX5. Firestone said it was hitting on the caliper and could not be mounted.
Anyone had this problem?

I'm surprised that the tow company didn't know not to put the spare on the front. Actually, I'm not.

Of course, the tow truck operator knew this, he was just being lazy. IMO

I'm surprised that the tow company didn't know not to put the spare on the front. Actually, I'm not.

Of course, the tow truck operator knew this, he was just being lazy. IMO
I've seen donuts used on the front. I never even knew this.

I've seen donuts used on the front. I never even knew this.

Check your owner's manual. I'm pretty certain that there's also a message about this on the doughnut spare too, or maybe in the area of the car where the spare lives.

I've seen them on cars on the freeway, traveling at highway speeds!!
definitely risky.
Same here. I took that chance to tell my family never do that !!!

And, be sure to check PSI of your spare once a year.
Otherwise, when you actually need it, the pressure might be way too low.
Or, carry a 12V air pump.

Anyone had this problem?
This’s only the problem in US and Canadian markets for 2019 CX-5 with a 2.5T which uses bigger dual-piston front brake calipers. Mazda has fixed it since 2020 MY and supplies bigger compact spare T155/90D17 101M instead of T145/90D16 106M for the 2.5T CX-5 which will fit the front.

2019 CX-5:
ACB0ED20-48B7-48F6-AF57-C55FFD13260A.jpeg

2020 and up CX-5:
8B0C16F7-1177-40EC-A1C5-7C95AB8A0F69.jpeg

Yes. I never paid much attention to it before, but there is a warning in the manual that does mention not to put the spare on the front wheel because handling would be terrible with a spare on the front wheel. And it makes total sense when you think about it.
Yes that’s the standard procedure stated in owner’s manual. But I personally had done tire change on the shoulder of the highway a couple of times and I really want to spend minimum amount of time doing the tire change due to the safety reasons with those 18-wheelers passing by fast. I’d put the compact spare at front and drive away ASAP if I do have a blow-out at front. IMO the temporary spare should be able to be mounted at the rear AND the front. Unfortunately Mazda gave only T145/90D16 106M as the compact spare for US CX-5’s on 2019 MY, where that’s the first year the 2.5T was introduced and the provided 16” spare can’t fit at front due to the larger dual-piston disk calipers.

Back