Is there any good reason to buy a Mazda2?

MacAttack7

:
2011 Mazda2 Sport (Manual)
Reasons to Buy a Mazda2 vs the Competition

I'm not trying to bash my own car, but is there any reason someone would buy a mazda2 at this time vs the competition?

I was helping my girlfriend look for an 'econobox' and the Hyundai Accent & Kia Rio sort of put the mazda specs to shame for the same price. (smaller price in the Kia Rio's case......which raises another point.....why buy an Accent when the Rio is the same thing for cheaper?).

So anyway I was wondering if I'm missing something. Does the Mazda2 have something else going for it vs the competitors?

Kia Rio rated for 30/40 MPG (and people get that easily from what I read).
Engine: 138 HP, 123 Torque, Direct Injection, Timing Chain
6-Speed Manual
Curb Weight: 2410
$14,350 MSRP

I reviewed all the other specs & I don't see anything else that's much different between them.
I like my Mazda2, but I was just wondering if there's any reason to suggest it to somebody else at this point in time...........it seems like it's a little behind the times.

Last edited:
The only reason, IMHO, is: you like it (how it feels). It's underpowered, but handles well.

Otherwise, if a person doesn't care about how it feels -- probably not. Econobox is econobox. Thousands drive boring econoboxes (to save money and gas), stupid SUVs (because they're "safer"), pickup trucks (because "real men" drive pickups), status mobiles, etc.

On the other hand, many women choose cars illogically -- i.e. they like or don't like them for no rational reason which can be expressed in numbers. In that sense: is your girlfriend going to drive a car or spec. numbers?

Last edited:
What is important to you?
Looks, MPG, Body Roll, Space, Power, etc.
I did look at the H brand and if you equip it like the Mazda2, you are pretty close in price.
If the Rio comes in better colors, then let her have that.

Mazda VS Kia

need i go further?
Yes........."Mazda" conjures up a better image than "Kia", but I don't know if there is any reason for that esp when looking at the Rio vs Mazda2.
From what I've read Kia Rio = Hyundai Accent. (the companys merged; the cars have identical specs)
The Accent gets great reviews for the 2012 model & it's been a very reliable car in past years.
Are there any specs or facts that are in favor of the Mazda being higher-quality?

She test drove both the Accent & the Rio & said they both had nice acceleration & a nice clutch (not nearly as touchy as the Mazda unit).
She took some corners at a good speed & said they both cornered well. They both get better MPG's.
Maybe the Mazda is higher-quality if you were to tear them apart & check everything out, but I have no idea.
That's why I was asking.

Mazda VS Kia

need i go further?

i feel the same way, im not trying to start any kind of arguement but i have always loved the quality of the japanese automakers vs korean (again im not trying to start a arguement ,just my personal take ) but i have always felt Mazda (for the most part) has made awesome cars that just handle like nothing else

now am i saying that kia/hyundai are bad , no ,heck they could be on same par as mazda,toyota, subaru ... when it comes down to it i think you just have to choose what you really want or prefer in my opinon

Last edited:
By the way..............I really like my Mazda, so don't ban me from the forum !!! :)

I was just curious. I do have to admit I "think" the Mazda probably has a higher build quality
& a better driving experience than the others, but I don't have any facts or experience to back that up.

I just know it's fun to drive, especially around corners, and I average 36 mpg's.
That works for me !

last months motor trend did a comparison between the Yaris, Fit, Mz2, Rio, Accent,Chevy Sonic, Suzuki SX4 and they found that for practicality, the cars aforementioned ranked 7th Rio, 6th Suzuki SX4 5th Mazda2, 4th Honda Fit, 3rd Yaris, 2nd Sonic, 1st Accent.

This is purely based off of utility, practicality and such. In the Mz2 review, they noted that IF this were turned around to rate which cars were the most FUN TO DRIVE, the Mz2 would likely rank 1 because it's a lot more fun to drive than the Fit and the Yaris based off handling, gear box, gearing, steering, road feel, suspension and such

But the accent had the best mix of acceleration, handling, roominess, sound deadening, MPG and Value for the money

Answer : Reliability and Longevity

I have owned several Mazda's over the last 30 years and when it comes to reliability and longevity they have all been extraordinary, this is critical in my line of work. In fact, I rely on them so heavily and have had such good results that I have gotten to the point where I don't purchase anything else.

The majority of the people I know now drive Mazda's because of my personal experience with them.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Before getting the 2 I also looked at Kia/Hyundai/Suzuki/Honda/Nissan/Ford/Toyota. Every single compay had a B segment car that has something better to offer than the 2. But that little thing, price or feature, didn't trump the way that the Mazda 2 felt overall. So I went with what my insticts told me to do in the first place.

A question: do all of the Kia/Hyundai... have similar mods available (like, e.g. Corksport provides for M2)?

I'm not saying they don't -- I just don't know. Honda probably does -- what about the rest of them?

I understand that there're a lot of cars which have a lot more mods available for them, but those generally are either in a different price bracket, or have less seats :)

Last edited:
at the end of the day, you're on a Mazda forum, in the Mazda 2 section, asking all of the Mazda 2 owners to turn against their own car that they spent roughly $16,000 dollars on.

All of the cars mentioned are solid cars and will make a great commuter, daily driver, sunday cruiser, baby toting, brand new car. She's a woman... it comes down to what she feels looks better

THE MAZDA 2!

Last edited:
I keep going between the GE8 and the DE5FS Mazda2, but in the end I can get a 2011 Mazda 2 Sport for $12k slightly used with under 20k on the odo. Similar fit is another $2k on top. I've driven a 6 speed Rio and i was bound and determined to buy one, but after driving it, disliked the overall feel, handling, and ride quality. So, at the moment it's looking the the Mazda2 is the best option for the price, fun factor, and mileage.

Anyways, I ironically just got done readying the Motortrend review (helped justify the Mazda2 choice), so i thought I'd plop it down here for all of you.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1204_economy_five_door_hatchback_comparison/

For me, in one word - Corksport.

I've had my 2 for just under a full year, and have yet to make any mods (aside from home made rally style mud flaps!), but Corksport was a major factor in my purchasing decision between the 2, Fiesta, Accent, and SX4.

I knew I was going to want to increase performance with mods at some point. I started looking around at the major aftermarket companies for each brand/model. Corksport really stood out in several ways -

easy to use website - no need to really dig to see what is available

blog - behind the scenes look, able to see the up-coming products

wide range of products - shows they really care about putting together an entire package, and not just selling intakes, etc

wide range of supported vehicles - shows they support older models, so if I want to start modding a few years down the road, I know they'll be supporting my model

great connection with the Mazda community - how many other aftermarket companies really listen to the community and appreciate the input? how many of the Corksport products exist because of interest from a forum? How good does it feel to have a company like that backing your passion?? It's awesome!

always being the first to have a new Mazda model - shows they really care about developing, testing, and producing performance products for the new stuff, so it's out when you buy the vehicle

I couldn't find aftermarket companies like this for the other models I was considering.

For me, it was a combo of having Corksport available, price of the vehicle, mpg's, looks, driving characteristics, and reviews that pushed me toward the 2/away from other models. No regrets.

If you want a driver's car, get the 2. If you are looking for the most practical or most roomy or think one of the other B segment offereings looks better and looks are more important to you, go with something else. I picked the 2 purely because I love the way Mazda's drive and the 2 is no exception. I just wanted to buy the cheapest brand new Mazda possible. It fit the bill!

Very legitimate question about which car is best in this segment. Personally, I'm a true Mazda convert but I can always give an unbiased opinion when it comes to cars. As far as storage space and practicality, buy a new Fit. Bang for the buck as far as standard features, get the Rio. The most likely to be worry free reliability, go for the Yaris. If style is the only concern, Fiat 500. I can't recommend the Fiesta since I feel that there has been too much evidence that there are bugs that need working out, or the Accent since it seems that the Rio is the better deal between the two. But, if you want the most fun to drive out of the box go with the Mazda2. It is hands down the driver's car of the bunch.

What's great is that the Mazda2 is also very reliable, relatively simple mechanically, and with a few CorkSport and RacingBeat add ons, even more fun to drive. I've owned a Celica GT, GT-S, Maxima SE, Cooper S, and all of my last three cars have been Mazdas. As long as Mazda continues to infuse their cars with great driving dynamics, solid build quality, and reliability all at a great price, I can't possibly see myself buying anything else. Well, maybe a Lotus.

I think I got brainwashed reading too many reviews of all the other cars.

They kept talking about the Mazda's small horsepower & torque, and it made me cry just a little. And I have no idea how some of the reviewers get such bad mpg with the manual transmission. I think my lowest ever over 15,000 miles is 34, and I don't do any of that hypermiling stuff.

So anyway as far as I'm concerned, in the real world, this car is a zippy little sucker. I'm not even sure what use I'd have for more horsepower & torque for the majority of driving I do. The only time it's even an issue is if I'm on a mountain road going uphill & need to pass someone. I could always downshift & just hit it, but I'm reluctant to send the rpm's shooting up too high. I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

So the more I think about it the more I like this car. I'm not sure what they did to make it that way, but it's just fun to drive, like a go-kart.
So for $13,500 I got a car that's a blast to drive & I average 36.5 mpg & it should hopefully prove to be very reliable & last a long, long time.
Not a bad deal.

1st its not a fiesta
2nd its not a yaris
3rd its not a versa
4th its not a fit
5th Zoom Zoom
need i say more

i agree, when i read that article i was like ...really , but everyone will have there own opinion,
i had one of my friends over the other day and they kinda laughed at the 2 ,so my gf said drive it...so he drove it came back and the first thing he said when he got out, "this is like a go-kart" followed by "i underestimated this car " , now he wants one lol
just had to put 2 more cents in :p

Back