Is there a way to reduce steering effort?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Traded my 2014 CX5 touring for a 2021 CX5 GTR. The steering effort seems to be quite a bit higher in the GTR. Is there a way to reduce the steering effort? I did check and reset my tire pressure to the recommended 35 pasig. Thank you Ed

Not scientifically measured, but the steering of my '17 CX-5 does feel lighter than my '22.
I've noticed on my 2021 Mazda 3 too...it's decidedly "heavier" than my 2014 CX5 or the 2011 Mazda 3 it replaces.

The new M3 DOES lighten up quite a bit at highway speeds though. And it also feels a lot lighter (and faster) with SPORT mode engaged. I expected SPORT mode to affect transmission shifting (it does, upshifting at higher speeds and holding it in a lower gear mainly) but it seems to also give steering a much lighter feel even at low speeds. I've read it also affects throttle response although I'm not certain how.

Also to be fair I really think the 2014 is a bit too responsive for a "family" vehicle. The light feel and fast response makes it feel almost skittish on the highway; I have to be careful not to over-control during sudden lane changes for instance. It can be fun but proves a bit tiresome on long drives, especially with passengers I'd rather not startle with unintended speedcar maneuvers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The new M3 DOES lighten up quite a bit at highway speeds though. And it also feels a lot lighter (and faster) with SPORT mode engaged. I expected SPORT mode to affect transmission shifting (it does, upshifting at higher speeds and holding it in a lower gear mainly) but it seems to also give steering a much lighter feel even at low speeds. I've read it also affects throttle response although I'm not certain how.

If you want to see how sport mode affects throttle mapping, pick a long grade that you know will not trigger the ecu to cause a downshift and halfway up, holding a steady throttle, slip it into sport mode. You can actually feel the car accelerate a bit without downshifting. This works every time on my 2018 GT hatch. I'm sure it will do the same on your gen 4 model.

Upvote 0
how sport mode affects throttle mapping

@paris1 When you say "throttle mapping"...is that the same as timing mappings? Like that done when "tuning" an ECU flash. Or is that mapping of throttle pedal movement to the throttle body throttle plate?

I wish I could easily test that in the manner you suggest. Unfortunately, I'm in a fairly large metro area that has heavy traffic 24/7. I'd have to drive an hour away to find open hi-way where I can be confident no one will cut-in on a following distance.

Upvote 0
@paris1 When you say "throttle mapping"...is that the same as timing mappings? Like that done when "tuning" an ECU flash. Or is that mapping of throttle pedal movement to the throttle body throttle plate?

I wish I could easily test that in the manner you suggest. Unfortunately, I'm in a fairly large metro area that has heavy traffic 24/7. I'd have to drive an hour away to find open hi-way where I can be confident no one will cut-in on a following distance.
I really don't know how it's done from a technical standpoint. All I know is that there's something going on besides gearbox manipulation. As for the lighter steering feel you mention, that's not the case with my 3rd gen, but if the steering feel is normally heavier on the newer ones, maybe they did make some changes to what is included in sport mode.

Upvote 0

With most factory drive modes, 98% sure the throttle mapping differences is just the relation between pedal and throttle body, plus transmission shift changes, not actual changes to the timing/fuel mapping. I'm sure there are some vehicles that actually change the engine tune with drive modes, but I don't think it's very common.

Upvote 0
I really don't know how it's done from a technical standpoint. All I know is that there's something going on besides gearbox manipulation. As for the lighter steering feel you mention, that's not the case with my 3rd gen, but if the steering feel is normally heavier on the newer ones, maybe they did make some changes to what is included in sport mode.
I really can't say for certain since it might be just a referred reaction due to the more lively acceleration response from transmission and throttle changes but it definitely feels more responsive in steering. Dodging potholes in sport mode seems more like I expect it should be. When NOT in sport mode it's more like driving my wife's Frontier pickup: reliable, but an effort to push the wheel around.

Upvote 0
Traded my 2014 CX5 touring for a 2021 CX5 GTR. The steering effort seems to be quite a bit higher in the GTR. Is there a way to reduce the steering effort? I did check and reset my tire pressure to the recommended 35 pasig. Thank you Ed
Hit the gym! LOL

Upvote 0
I also mentioned that the steering effort is too high (85 year old who does go to a gym class). Some vehicles I'm told have an option of adjusting the steering effort. I seem to remember one of my older vehicles had variable ratio PS. Mazda seems to be behind the times in this area. Ed

Upvote 0
I also mentioned that the steering effort is too high (85 year old who does go to a gym class). Some vehicles I'm told have an option of adjusting the steering effort. I seem to remember one of my older vehicles had variable ratio PS. Mazda seems to be behind the times in this area. Ed
My 1983 Honda Accord of many years ago had the variable assist steering. More assist at low speeds for easier parking and stiffen up a bit to lessen overcontrol at highway speeds. Worked well, was hydraulic just like the power steering. No complex electronics.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure my 2021 Mazda 3 has variable assist power. These are electronically controlled electric power steering cars, so that's really elementary to do. The question is how it's calibrated: how much assist at given speeds and in given situations.

Does your CX5 have a "Sport" button? maybe next to the shifter? Try putting that in SPORT to see if it has an affect on steering effort.

Upvote 0
Back