Is there a way to reduce steering effort?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Traded my 2014 CX5 touring for a 2021 CX5 GTR. The steering effort seems to be quite a bit higher in the GTR. Is there a way to reduce the steering effort? I did check and reset my tire pressure to the recommended 35 pasig. Thank you Ed

I had a 2013 and a 2016. To me my 2020 (all GTs) is lighter in steering that the other two. I thought it might have to do with lane departure having "room" to shake the wheel? Do you have lane departure turned on?

Upvote 0
If it takes noticeable effort to turn your steering wheel, you should take it in and have it checked under warranty.

Upvote 0
Reading the service manual at http://www.mcx5.org/ it says that the Caster angle has been increased. But I am not sure at what point the change was made. But almost assuredly this was done between 2014 and 2021. More Caster in front increases the tendency of a vehicle to "self center" the steering wheel when in motion. Perhaps this is what you're experiencing?

Upvote 0
I will check out the Lane holding feature. The steering effort is not excessive but, just seems a bit heaver than I reeber the 2014 cx5

Upvote 0
The steering in my 2019 GTR is much heavier than it was in my 2010 Mazda 3, but I just got used to it. Now when I drive my wife's Camry I feel like the steering is way too easy!

Upvote 0
You could try increasing tire PSI to 38. A higher tire pressure should make the steering wheel easier to turn. But I would second what @Sig cx-5 suggested and bring the car to the dealer to have them take a look and ensure that everything is working properly.

Upvote 0
I will check out the Lane holding feature. The steering effort is not excessive but, just seems a bit heaver than I reeber the 2014 cx5

The lane hold feature has no impact on steering feel, unless it senses you drifting over the line. My Lexus will stiffen up the steering wheel when I put it in Sport mode. Maybe Mazda makes it stiffer by default to make you feel more engaged.

Upvote 0
No comments?
Steering too difficult Eddie? Maybe you need to hit the gym and bulk up a little. I mean , you're what, a mere 80 years old. LOL. You must be the senior member here. I question whether I'll see 80. More power to ya. Congrats on your new ride. Jmaz

Upvote 0
Very odd as I test drove a 2021 CX-5 turbo about two weeks ago and compared to my 2014 CX-5, found the steering to be much lighter.

I would get it checked out.

Upvote 0
PS. I'm 83 this month and I go to an AQUA fitness/Aerobics class three times a week so I am not arm weak. I traded my 2014 and drove my GTR home and noticed it seems to require a bit more steering effort. Not uncomfortable but, I was surprised. The GTR does have a "Sport" setting which changes the AT shift points and the throttle sensitivity but, not sure about steering effort.

Upvote 0
Could just be the difference between the "worn in" tires on your 2014 and the brand new tires on your new ride.

Upvote 1
Solution
It might be the tires. I noticed a different steering feel when I got new tires last summer. They're barely broken in so the steering is still stiffer somehow. It's more directional, almost twitchy.

Upvote 2
I did go from a 17" 65 series to a 19" 55 series which is more rubber on the road. Ed

That is not likely true. Both tires are 225mm section width. Any difference would be one or 2 tenths of an inch.

Since the suspension has very few adjustments, and the car is designed to have high steering feedback, you have 2 options; check and raise your tire pressure to the max pressure allowed on the sidewall, or trade cars.

Upvote 0
That is not likely true. Both tires are 225mm section width. Any difference would be one or 2 tenths of an inch.

Since the suspension has very few adjustments, and the car is designed to have high steering feedback, you have 2 options; check and raise your tire pressure to the max pressure allowed on the sidewall, or trade cars.

He could also change to a set of tires with a harder rubber compound, or swap to 6.5" wide wheels. No need to jump straight to trading cars, lol.

Upvote 0
Did you try turning on lane assist/shaking of steering wheel at high level when you depart the lane?

Upvote 0
Back