Is there a REAL skid plate available somewhere for the Mazda5?

Geeshik

:
2007 Mazda5
We have some really steep approach angles on the aprons to local businesses, crazy potholes, and some nasty ice chunks in the winter, and the underside of our 5 is taking quite a beating. I saw evidence that the ac compressor took a pretty significant hit at some point between my last oil change and the one I did last night.

I know my brother in law bought something called a 'panzer plate' for his '99 Jetta TDI. It was 3/8" thick aluminum plate with all the holes and brackets to attatch it to the car from the bumper to the front suspension crossmember. It had appropriate holes for filters, ventilation, and other things cut out, and was formed to fit quite well as a bolt in install. (I helped him a little bit with the installation, and it was pretty slick!) I saw something similar available for the Mazda3's, but I am not sure if it would install on the Mazda5. I really would like to get my hands on something like that. If I were a better fabricator with the right equipment, I would consider building them myself and sell them to others with similar needs, but the $250 would be worth it to me for something similar if someone already had one developed. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks.

RANT WARNING: Oh, and does anyone know why they put the hole in the factory plastic splash cover/'skid plate' behind the oil filter housing? To me, it would make much more sense to place it directly beneath the filter, and enlarge the hole just an inch overall for easy access without removing the belly cover every time you do an oil change. I have done enough oil changes on our Mazda5 to really hate them now. It is hard enough to get it high enough to get under as the automotive ramps I use will not work because the low bumper pushes them out of the way. Fortunately I have a low profile, long reach floor jack to get it off the ground , but if that isn't enough, I now have replaced all of the factory u-nuts that hold the belly cover in place twice due to corrosion and subsequent breakage, (even with the use of antiseize) and the thing is under 100,000 miles. I have switched to stainless bolts and stainless fender washers to secure it this time in hopes that it will take a little bit of the corrosion issue out of the picture, but unfortunately the u-nuts are only available in steel. At least this will have been the last oil change with the cartridge style filter as I finally decided it was worth my time and money to buy the kit to switch it to the PKSPINCOOLER kit that is available to remove some of the mess and hassle of messing with the cartridge. Cartridge filters only work well when they sit in a fixed bowl. With those, anytime you have to pull it, at least the mess stays in it's place, and a turkey baster, followed by a quick wipe of a rag, will have you ready to re-install in no time. An upside down one is just backwards thinking...

That is the one that i think i saw. It is for a 3 though, and it looks like that one is for the 2.0. : ( It also looks much thinner than the panzer plate that my brother in law found for his VW. It is less than a 12 gauge thickness. Anyway, the wheels have been turning in my head, and I am now looking for a 24x48 piece of 10 or 12 gauge 304 or 316 stainless to adapt for the larger piece, as well as some smaller pieces (14x12) for the sides to fab something up. The biggest issue building one looks like it will be the curvature in the belly pan to accomodate the AC compressor. Then my concern would be that if it did strike something, would the stainless bend and make contact with the ac compressor, or would it hold firm or at least flex back enough to have clearance again (?) I have a brake for bending it at work, and i have access to a welder if i provide my own materials for making it. I don't know when I will have time to do it though... My first priority is now going to be the heat shield issue that I discovered.

I've always thought the lower engine cover was there more to reduce aero drag than to protect the bottom of the engine. The a/c compressor already has a pretty thick shield bolted to it. The thin plastic cover was never going to give any real skid plate type protection and I see them damaged or missing quite often from impacts. Mine was heavily damaged while driving through a very heavy snowstorm this past winter, just from snow/ice packs. Having a real skid plate is something that interests me and I'll be interested to see your results and how much it cost to fab up. Good luck. By the way, the corksport plate linked above is for 3/speed 3 but I'm wondering if only the leading edge would have to be modded to fit the 5's different bumper shape.

Someone told me that the 3's and the 5's undershield are the same. I have not verified this yet, and I haven't had the time or the resources to fab a new one just yet. I will be crawling under it again soon though as the flex pipe just took a crap...

The factory undershield between the 3 and the 5 are the same for first gen, but the corksport one takes the place of the shield right behind the bumper as well, which is different between the 3 and 5. That is where it would most likely have to be modified.

The factory undershield between the 3 and the 5 are the same for first gen, but the corksport one takes the place of the shield right behind the bumper as well, which is different between the 3 and 5. That is where it would most likely have to be modified.

Having had a speed3 and now mazda5 i can tell you that the 1st gen speed3 and 2nd gen mazda5 do not have the same front air damper.

The oil filter hole seems right to drain and remove the filter if you have the front up only, if you have it on a lift it drains into the cover. I have gone through three of them, I won't replace this one.

Having had a speed3 and now mazda5 i can tell you that the 1st gen speed3 and 2nd gen mazda5 do not have the same front air damper.
You are absolutely correct. The second gen mz5 shield is larger encompassing the whole lower engine area with a somewhat usable filter access hole that only a child's hands could fit through.

The oil filter hole seems right to drain and remove the filter if you have the front up only, if you have it on a lift it drains into the cover. I have gone through three of them, I won't replace this one.
You've replace 3 lower engine shields?! Or am I reading that incorrectly?

Yes, the car feels loose above seventy without it. My car has 114k on it now and has been lowered since 35k or so.

What is the corksport made out of? Maybe I can take the stock one, and add some length to it to protect the bottom of the rig? I have a plasma cutter, and waiting on my CNC plasma machine.

You mean AL-U-Minium.

HA HA. I will have to test the cutter on AL. See how I burns. But I would totally be interested in cutting one out to try.

Back