Is it possible to adjust fog lights?

Hey everyone. New to owning a Mazda. I just got a 2019 CX9 GT. Absolutely love it. I see how one can adjust headlights up and down but I haven’t gotten under the car to look to see if you can adjust the fog lights. Has anyone tried to adjust their fog lights?

Thank you

Hey everyone. New to owning a Mazda. I just got a 2019 CX9 GT. Absolutely love it. I see how one can adjust headlights up and down but I haven’t gotten under the car to look to see if you can adjust the fog lights. Has anyone tried to adjust their fog lights?

Thank you

Have you adjusted the headlights already? I haven't had time to play with it myself, but I'm interested in finding out how.

With regard to the foglights, it looks like they are adjustable as well. I don't know for sure, but the adjustment knob appears to be the white plastic one at the bottom of the assembly in this picture.

foglight.jpg

either headlights are so bright that foglights appear non-existent or that foglight output are dismal.
Will be nice to see if we can move these in left and right directions as well ?

Have you adjusted the headlights already? I haven't had time to play with it myself, but I'm interested in finding out how.
Same here. My better half complains that the headlights are angled lower than our other vehicles. While I don't necessarily have an issue with the headlights, I'd like to know how they can be adjusted.

I’ll take pictures tomorrow. Very easy to adjust. Look from top of headlight down and you will see an adjustment screw. Just need a Phillips screwdriver and clockwise will lower lights and counter clockwise will raise. Don’t know anything going left and right with any adjustments. I would assume it’s computer based if even possible.

With regard to the foglights, it looks like they are adjustable as well. I don't know for sure, but the adjustment knob appears to be the white plastic one at the bottom of the assembly in this picture.

View attachment 222218
I’ll have to look at it once it gets warmer out. Would love to aim them just a tad higher

I’ll take pictures tomorrow. Very easy to adjust. Look from top of headlight down and you will see an adjustment screw. Just need a Phillips screwdriver and clockwise will lower lights and counter clockwise will raise. Don’t know anything going left and right with any adjustments. I would assume it’s computer based if even possible.
What’s the build date of your 2019 CX-9?

OK. Thanks. Your CX-9 does not have the upgraded headlights, just like mine. Yeah, if you could show, in pictures, where the adjustment screws are, I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate it. I did take a look last night, but nothing obvious stood out to me.
I thought someone on the forum wrote that parts are identical to pre and post June 2019 models. Though IIHS claims to have post june 2019 models to have better light spread. I got mine adjusted a bit and they go tiny bit further now. I do not have access to any post june 2019 model and so can not see whether the adjusted are still poor??

Does anyone have the exact spec differences between the pre June and post June headlights? I know what iihs is saying but don’t know what all changed.
It was raining today so couldn’t get any pictures. Will take them tomorrow.

Mine also has production date of June ‘19. It would be nice to put a pre and post July CX-9 side by side with headlights projecting out on a dark street to see the difference.

Here is where the adjustment screw is located. Counterclockwise raises and clockwise lowers the lights

Attachments

• D2370AD9-2B9C-498E-9D08-839453A23834.jpeg
    D2370AD9-2B9C-498E-9D08-839453A23834.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 440
  • 8AEED269-68A3-4552-9491-BE533A917830.jpeg
    8AEED269-68A3-4552-9491-BE533A917830.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 448
  • 7857255F-87AA-4262-A480-B5BF05CF0685.jpeg
    7857255F-87AA-4262-A480-B5BF05CF0685.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 445
Here is where the adjustment screw is located. Counterclockwise raises and clockwise lowers the lights
I think I saw that. But, I didn't think it would be the adjustment screw since you mentioned that a Philips screwdriver was used to perform the adjustment, and I couldn't see how a Philips screwdriver can be used. I'm gonna give it a try later. How much higher did you adjust yours, like an inch higher or more?

I think I saw that. But, I didn't think it would be the adjustment screw since you mentioned that a Philips screwdriver was used to perform the adjustment, and I couldn't see how a Philips screwdriver can be used. I'm gonna give it a try later. How much higher did you adjust yours, like an inch higher or more?
I adjusted mine up a little bit. I was about 20 feet away from a wall when I was doing this. Be careful as these lights have a auto level feature so If you raise too high it will motor up and you will have to bring it back down. Seeing how easy this is to do I’ve found myself super critical when adjusting this and wanting to adjust more to dial it in precisely. I’m very happy with the headlights. Now all I need to do is raise the fogs a little and all set

Here's a good visual example, taken from a Chevy Equinox.

2956d1298261745-headlight-adjustment-equinox-lh.jpg

The screwdriver head catches the teeth of the adjustment screw (just like the way a right angle gear works).

Thanks for those pictures Brett, I appreciate it. It's easy to miss if you don't know what you're looking for.

Here's a good visual example, taken from a Chevy Equinox.

The screwdriver head catches the teeth of the adjustment screw (just like the way a right angle gear works).
That's a great visual example. Now I can see how it works. Thanks, sm1ke!

The purpose of fog lights on any car is to illuminate the road shoulders. Nothing will cut through the water droplets that are the fog. In any case, the CX9 fogs are pretty dismal, not much there. I don't see much point in trying to adjust them.

Back