Introducing Custom Performance Engineering's SPEED3 catback exhaust system!

Custom Performance Engineering is very pleased to announce the release of our MazdaSPEED3 catback exhaust system! This unit represents CPEs total commitment to quality, it is the first unit completely designed, developed and produced in-house on CPEs brand new state of the art CNC mandrel bender.

www.cp-e.com

Below are some pictures of the catback:

MSP3CATBACK_Pic_01.jpg

MSP3CATBACK_Pic_03.JPG

MSP3CATBACK_Pic_04.JPG

MSP3CATBACK_Pic_06.JPG

The muffler we chose was designed specifically for our purposes, and we paid special attention to the volume and tonal quality of the units. We wanted something that was deep and mellow, but it had to sound aggressive when under throttle. We think we found a winner, and we believe everyone will be pleased with the new cp-e sound!

The exhaust tip was chosen by our enthusiasts in a recent messageboard poll. It was agreed upon by a great majority of the users, and we think the end result is quite classy without being too gaudy. The smaller inside diameter is about 3" and the larger inside diameter is 4".

We also paid special attention to the small details people appreciate. We used stock-style stamped steel exhaust hangers, instead of using bent steel rods. This helps to keep the exhaust centered within the rubber hanger on the car. We also TIG weld many critical areas of the exhaust system. TIG welds are usually avoided in this industry because they require more time and skill than a MIG weld, despite the fact that TIG welds are better suited for thin metals, are better looking, and create a more durable bond. The catback kit also comes with everything you'll need for a complete and professional installation.

And I'm sure most of you are interested in how it all sounds. So here are some sound clips!

Startup

Drive away:

Drive away

Drive by:

Drive by <--- My favorite (rockon)

The best part is when the catback is paired with our upcoming downpipe, one can expect on the order of 30hp and 40lbft of torque to the wheels!

MazdaSPEED3_Cat_Back_Horsepower.jpg

MSP3CATBACK_Torque.jpg

The catback exhaust system retails for $685, and can be paired with or without a downpipe! Our downpipe should be available and on our website in the next few days. If you have any questions about our company or our new exhaust system fire away!

www.cp-e.com

Jordan

goodie cpe

Is the dyno number with the downpipe or just the cat back? If purchase together with the downpipe...(direct) Discount ?(enguard)

love the sound(first)

Sounds great not too loud which is nice I'd also be interested in a downpipe exhuast combo

wow, impressive gains for the car, i'm jealous. Pricey though. But hey it looks and sounds really good!!

mafanchai said:
Is the dyno number with the downpipe or just the cat back? If purchase together with the downpipe...(direct) Discount ?(enguard)

love the sound(first)

Thanks boss!! (mj)

To be clear, the dyno grahps posted reflect the gains one can expect from our turboback exhaust. The price of the downpipe is still being finalized, so I'm not sure if there is going to be a discount for buying the downpipe and catback together. We should have that information for everyone in the next few days.

Jordan

ANy droning effect inside the car at 70-85mph on the freeway? Seriously my last exhaust on my GTI drove me nuts.

I'm also curious what other mods were on the dyno car.

Mspeed3 said:
Sounds great not too loud which is nice I'd also be interested in a downpipe exhuast combo

jmv said:
wow, impressive gains for the car, i'm jealous. Pricey though. But hey it looks and sounds really good!!

justa4banger said:
ANy droning effect inside the car at 70-85mph on the freeway? Seriously my last exhaust on my GTI drove me nuts.

I'm also curious what other mods were on the dyno car.

MadOzodi said:
(rockon) Sounds great! Nice and throaty...not ricey at all.

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I'm sure the guys at the shop will really appreciate your feedback.

The droning is tricky to answer because I'd argue that the stock exhaust drones to some degree. Does it drone to the point where you're going to pull your hair out? No, not even close. At cruising speed, or where you'd normally encounter drone, the exhaust sounds pretty close to stock. Try to see if you can even hear the car idling in the first movie clip. So, I guess to answer your question, it won't be anything like your GTI :D

The car we dyno'd is our shop car. The before graph was in stock configuration, and the after graph is with our turboback installed.

Jordan

Well the droning i'm used to would give any normal person a headache in 5 min or less on the freeway. MAn it sounded so awesome outside the car though.

I guess my true question is this, Will the wife know i changed the exhaust? Will she then proceed to kick my ass if she does notice it ?lol

Sounds good to me and looks like a nice setup.
I'll wait on DP pricing and then decide. Of course i also have to ask my service manager if he'll let me get away witha NON mazda speed part. lol

justa4banger said:
Well the droning i'm used to would give any normal person a headache in 5 min or less on the freeway. MAn it sounded so awesome outside the car though.

I guess my true question is this, Will the wife know i changed the exhaust? Will she then proceed to kick my ass if she does notice it ?lol

Sounds good to me and looks like a nice setup.
I'll wait on DP pricing and then decide. Of course i also have to ask my service manager if he'll let me get away witha NON mazda speed part. lol

Hah, so you're going to put that on me?! And I bet that GTI did sound nice uncorked, but something tells me your wife wasn't too happy about it (lol2)

But seriously, the exhaust is louder than stock, but we wouldn't label it as loud. The exhaust we make for the SPEED6 is pretty loud, this one is much more moderate and is well suited for a daily driver. You can tell something's up when you get on it though.

Jordan

dread said:
Do you have any sound clips of just the cat back.

We're really sorry about all the confusion on our website. We're trying to fix a couple of errors that will make the sound clip and dyno configurations clearer. The sound clips are of just the catback, and the dynos are of the turboback.

Jordan

dread said:
so is it safe to assume that the turboback is a lot louder than the sound clip.

No, actually the difference in sound isn't that dramatic. It's hard to explain a sound over the internet, but the increase in volume with the full turboback is marginal.

Boother said:
How about a picture of what the tip looks like from the back and side of the car?

Coming right up. I'll see if I can dig one up for you... (burnout)

Jordan

So I think I understand what kind of picture you're requesting Boother. You want something from the rear of the car so you can see how the tip looks with the car on the ground. The problem is that we took the pictures of the exhaust when the car was on the lift (big mistake) and the pictures are admittedly pretty crappy. But I'll post the pictures we have and when we get a nice day outside we'll take some better pictures for everyone.

145336.jpg

145335.jpg

That's the best we can do for now, but I promise we'll get some better pics of the tip as soon as we get a spare moment.

Jordan

Hey I just noticed the frame on the plate - Park Mazda of Wooster !!! Cool, I live about 20 min from there. Where is CP-E located? Is the MS3 in the CP-E shop ?

Back