2017~2024 Interior chrome strip sun glare problem

:
Virginia
:
2021 CX-5 White
2021 CX5 Signature has satin chrome trim around front dash vents and are tied together by a single horizontal strip. The section above the glove box can provide a very disruptive distracting driver sun glare at certain times when the sun is low on horizon. Anyone notice this and have a suggested fix?

I imagine this is not limited to just 2021.

see the area above red markup
B4547708-E379-48ED-81B6-1F5564DDD816.jpeg

NOT me. I did not experience it!

It was a complaint from the wife, and I do believe it was an issue as she had to hold her hand up to block the glare. It only lasted a minute as the road and sun changed

Last edited:
Low tech fix-Masking Tape
High tech fix-Plastidip
Basic tech- cheap sunglasses
Maybe the best tech, sell it and use uber.

Honestly I have no idea what you are experiencing, I have never had had this issue or anything close to this. There was a post about someone having a sun glare issue with the "M" on the steering wheel the other day. Maybe people have been working from home to long and have become extra sensitive to sunlight?

The easiest fix would probably be black electrical tape and an X-acto knife with a steady hand. You could also use window tint or black/tinted vinyl wrap.

Alternatively if you don't want a black bar in that spot, you can buy a can of "frosted glass" spray paint. Mask the area off very well, then spray the bar with a couple of light coats followed by one or two heavy coats. After carefully removing the masking tape, you should be left with a less reflective piece that doesn't look as out of place as a black bar. You just need to ensure that you mask the area off well, you don't want to get overspray on your windshield or windows. I'm not sure how easy it is to remove the bar, but it would be a lot easier if you could remove the bar and paint it outside of the car.

If you are going to use tape, I would go with gaffer tape. It should come off without leaving a residue. It's is also a flat black cloth, whereas electrical tape is typically glossy black.

Back