Interior Changes

TreyP

2018 Soul Red AWD Touring CX-5
EDIT: Turns out the climate controls are from the GT/GS models which although they are very different from my Touring, they are not new. So the only change is the shifter, which was already covered in another thread.

My bad, carry on. (For the record though, I still prefer the gated shifter)

12197426_009.jpg

Last edited:
Or non changes I guess:) I see a new shift lever with the possibility of a dead pedal (which should have been there already). Question is what are we looking at? A 2014.5 or a 2015?

Last edited:
Climate control hasn't changed yet. I like the new shift lever, but not a big change from my 2014 GT.

The gear selector looks taller. No more visible gates. Now has a fake leather boot. Rather ugly knob.

Love the round knob on my 2013 selector. Why was it changed?

I surmise this change in appearance took place in order to mimic the look of a manual shifter? It would make sense, considering they designed the SA ATX to perform similarly to a manual trans.

What they did not change as it looks from those pictures is the head unit.

USB play still not fixed then??? I hope I am wrong...

The only thing that looks like it's changed is the shifter. The chrome surround looks a little more solid then the black plastic one we currently have (it wiggles around if you move it).

Or non changes I guess:) I see a new shift lever with the possibility of a dead pedal (which should have been there already). Question is what are we looking at? A 2014.5 or a 2015?

The only thing that looks like it's changed is the shifter. The chrome surround looks a little more solid then the black plastic one we currently have (it wiggles around if you move it).
I'm guessing then that this is what the current Tech package looks like?
The only thing in this picture that matches mine is the Fresh/Recirculate buttons on the left. Every other thing is different. The clock is moved, the three big dials are different, the temperature gauges are different, mode selector, front defrost...

I'm guessing then that this is what the current Tech package looks like?
The only thing in this picture that matches mine is the Fresh/Recirculate buttons on the left. Every other thing is different. The clock is moved, the three big dials are different, the temperature gauges are different, mode selector, front defrost...

That's the automatic dual zone climate control that comes with the GT standard and maybe the tech on touring.

Is that a new dead pedal I see, or just some plastic in the footwell?

The dash is the same as my UK sport, delivered this July.

To me, the only reason to change the gear lever/knob/gates would have been to add paddle shifters... its not the case so its rather pointless, since this new gateless shifter knob probably has a button to press for changing gear... wich sucks if it does.

I actually like my gated shifter, and if it ever becomes possible to retrofit the mazda 6 or mazda 3 paddle shifter system, I would be interested, depending on cost.

As for the climate control its exactly like mine... no change there

To me, the only reason to change the gear lever/knob/gates would have been to add paddle shifters... its not the case so its rather pointless, since this new gateless shifter knob probably has a button to press for changing gear... wich sucks if it does.

I actually like my gated shifter, and if it ever becomes possible to retrofit the mazda 6 or mazda 3 paddle shifter system, I would be interested, depending on cost.

As for the climate control its exactly like mine... no change there

No, and no. This isn't Ford (anymore at least).

Reason for change is purely for aesthetics. Addition of the metallic surround trim, pleather boot, and most importantly the gear indicator that some thought was necessary for the shifter surround. Why a "sudden" and "random" change with just one part? Because they can easily carry over parts from their 2014 Mazda3 parts bin that uses the same shifter so that cuts manufacturing cost. Mazda and its customers have nothing to lose from this.

The gated shifter we have is downright ugly and cheap. Proven to be the general consensus as I'm sure Mazda has done their market research with feedback from the 2013/14 MY enough so to make a change for 2014.5 MY.

Last edited:
wait... are you saying no to paddle shifters?

I don't understand the double no...

my point is, why change just this, and not add paddle shifters (like the 3 and 6)?
I'm pretty sure that retro fitting paddle shifters could be done, probably also, the none gated shifter.

but at what cost... what i am saying is I would probably do the move to add paddle shifters, but to me, the gated shifter is not as important or annoying enough to pay to change it.

double triple... hell, quadruple say no to this... but its still what I think ;-)

Back