Intake ...header...exhaust for the 5

Has anybody found one or know if a 3 will crossover to my 2010? Thanx in advance for your replies

Usually the intakes will cross from a 3 to a 5. Not sure about the headers. A cat back exhaust from a 3 likely won't cross directly without some custom work.

I recently asked my local Mazda dealer if the stock exhaust from my 2012 Mz5 would fit directly onto my wife's 2008 Mz5. He said the part numbers in his book were different and didn't think it would fit...but I don't really believe that. I would be interested in getting a custom-made cat back system for my 2012 and then giving my wife the newer stock exhaust from my 2012. I'm looking at a 2.25 inch diameter exhaust with Flowmaster dBx muffler.

Wasn't the 2008 still using the 2.3L and the 2012 uses the 2.5L ? I could see where they might have changed the exhaust manifold/header when they changed the engine displacement. The advantages/disadvantages of going to a true "header" on the 2.3L engine was debated quite a bit on this very forum a few years back and IIRC the consensus was "don't bother" I think in the end you are better off going with a tune like Dynotronics and leaving most of the hard points alone. An intake and a good muffler is worth it just for the sound though...

Last edited:
Wasn't the 2008 still using the 2.3L and the 2012 uses the 2.5L ? I could see where they might have changed the exhaust manifold/header when they changed the engine displacement. The advantages/disadvantages of going to a true "header" on the 2.3L engine was debated quite a bit on this very forum a few years back and IIRC the consensus was "don't bother" I think in the end you are better off going with a tune like Dynotronics and leaving most of the hard points alone. An intake and a good muffler is worth it just for the sound though...

Yes of course 2008 has the 2.3 and 2012 has the 2.5. I was only referring to a swap of the cat back exhaust between cars, not manifold etc.

I got ya. It figures they would change part numbers year to year, just to keep you guessing when trying to source parts in the aftermarket.

if you didnt do it already, remove the intake resonator chamber that runs under the airbox over in front of the drivers side wheel. its held in by 3 bolts and you'll have to drop the fender liner on that corner to get it out. I dont think the van really feels any quicker with it removed (the chamber acutally does not seem very choked up), but that chamber cancels out a lot of noise. Sounds a lot better without it.

22820384296_eaf7a4e3d3_z.jpg

Im going to cut the bottom of my airbox to open it up some more and go with a k&n drop in and it should sound even better.

Probably 90% of the performance of a short ram intake kit for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
if you didnt do it already, remove the intake resonator chamber that runs under the airbox over in front of the drivers side wheel. its held in by 3 bolts and you'll have to drop the fender liner on that corner to get it out. I dont think the van really feels any quicker with it removed (the chamber acutally does not seem very choked up), but that chamber cancels out a lot of noise. Sounds a lot better without it.

22820384296_eaf7a4e3d3_z.jpg

Im going to cut the bottom of my airbox to open it up some more and go with a k&n drop in and it should sound even better.

Probably 90% of the performance of a short ram intake kit for a fraction of the cost.

I wrote about this a while back so it's somewhere in here but at any rate in a nutshell. I tested a K&N cold air, short ram, drop-in with resonator, drop-in without resonator and my findings were that the best option was a drop-in without the resonator based on my butt dyno. I actually went with an AEM dry flow drop in because the oily K&N filters eventually gunk up your throttle body so much that you will start having a rough idle until you get in there and clean it up. The cold air and short ram intakes are way to free flowing for everyday use of our 5s and kill the back pressure these things need to get going.

Last edited:
Back