Installed Kenwood DDX-370 and Backup Camera

TreyP

2018 Soul Red AWD Touring CX-5
Finally sick of dealing with the iPod issues, I went ahead and installed a Kenwood DDX-370 head unit a few weeks ago. For awhile, I researched how to get the factory camera to work with it, but I finally decided that converting 12 volts to 6 volts and cutting into the factory camera wires was not worth it in case I ever want to revert to factory. So I bought an aftermarket camera and hooked that up this week. I posted a how to for running the camera wires here in case anyone is interested.

I gotta say, this unit sounds SO much better than the factory one. I still am using the Bose speakers, and they sound amazing with this stereo. And of course, the iPod functions exactly as it was designed, with full playlists, and it also resumes where it left off after you have shut off the car and restarted and when you switch between modes. In other words, it behaves the way it is supposed to, not the way the Mazda unit was 'designed' to operate.

This model does not have Bluetooth because I don't use it, but of course there are models out there with any features one might want.

Here's a few pics:

Last edited:
Tight. Personally, I would only be interested in better sound processing from the head unit. (I just use a USB, also I have 2013)

I'm tempted to replace, but can't get over that I'd lose vehicle custom settings (lighting, locks, etc) in abandoning the OEM headunit.

I'm tempted to replace, but can't get over that I'd lose vehicle custom settings (lighting, locks, etc) in abandoning the OEM headunit.
I just set them before I took out the OEM. Its not likely that I would want to change them again once the are set to my preference. A good thing about the CX-5 though is that I could literally pop the factory unit back in the car to change the settings in less than 30 minutes should I ever feel the need to do so.

TreyP, we are pretty sure that the slow start time of the OEM system is due to reading all of the files and their ID3 tags in order to handle artist, album, and genre categories. Does you Kenwood also provide these categories? I have wondered if the trade-off to get fast start times is that one loses capabilities related to ID3 tags.

Also, does Voice Recognition work with the Kenwood? Can you say "Playlist Mountain music" or "Artist Usher" or "Album Joshua Tree" and get what you expect?

Slow loading was one thing that was never an issue for me with the factory head unit. I have around 1200 songs, and it took maybe 20 seconds to load compared to around 10 seconds on the Kenwood. For me, not resuming playback was by far the biggest issue. Having to get back to where you were each time the car was turned off or when I changed modes was maddeningly frustrating.

Anyway, no, there is no voice control, but the Kenwood does let you easily browse by Playlist, Album, Artist, Song, Genre, and more.

I can use the slider on the right with my finger to make it from 'A' to 'R' (for example) in one second easily, again, with 1200 songs in the list.

Do you have the steering wheel controls?

Pics if you do :)
I do have the standard steering wheel controls that came with the car, so no need for a pic of that. The connection to the steering wheel controls was accomplished with a "PAC RP4-MZ11 Factory Integration Adapter"
The brown connector connects directly to the Mazda head unit connecter, which means there is no need to cut into the factory wires, and the wires from the brown connector go to both the new head unit and to the blue box, which is the part that makes the factory steering wheel controls work with the new head unit. It is also what makes the aftermarket stereo work with the factory Bose system. If you don't have the Bose, there is one wire that you don't have to hook up.
x541RP4MZ11-F.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome, so do all of the buttons still function?

I'm guessing that the cruise control are separate and not touched.

So this part handles the Volume Up/Down, Call Start / End. Anything I'm missing?

Awesome, so do all of the buttons still function?

I'm guessing that the cruise control are separate and not touched.

So this part handles the Volume Up/Down, Call Start / End. Anything I'm missing?
Cruise control is separate so that does not change, same with the 'Info' button. I don't use the call buttons, so I don't know about that. Volume and 'Next/Previous' work as they always did.

As previously mentioned, the voice controls do not work anymore because that was part of the factory unit.

Last edited:
I've done a bit of research on that PAC adapter - it's actually pretty cool and you should be able to re-program it to allow you to use the call/end steering wheel buttons for other purposes (depending on the functionality permitted by your head unit.) You can also program different functions for tapping a button and for long pressing a button...

Here's a link for the installation and programming instructions: http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductData/RP4-MZ11/1_Instructions/rp4-mz11_instructions_052413.pdf

I've done a bit of research on that PAC adapter - it's actually pretty cool and you should be able to re-program it to allow you to use the call/end steering wheel buttons for other purposes (depending on the functionality permitted by your head unit.) You can also program different functions for tapping a button and for long pressing a button...

Here's a link for the installation and programming instructions: http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductData/RP4-MZ11/1_Instructions/rp4-mz11_instructions_052413.pdf
This is true. I've used the PAC series in other vehicles and always been very happy with it. And they are relatively easy to reprogram, simply a matter of pressing buttons in the right sequence. For this application, I was satisfied with the stock programming, as it matched up all the buttons I use by default.

I like it. If Mazda don't fix the issues associated with the stock unit, I'll look into upgrading...

Back