Injen CAI and Snow...

drumsbeloud

:
02 MP5-T
ok, just so everyone knows, i have already done a search!

i'm thinking of getting an Injen CAI for my P5, but I am concerned about snow building up in my wheel wells and affecting the intake. First of all, could snow/ice build-up damage the intake? Secondly, I get a lot of snow packed in there, so I assume the intake could potentially get blocked. A bypass valve would solve the blockage problem, but say I'm on a long trip, and the intake is blocked for a long period of time...is it ok to have the bypass valve in operation for long periods of time (i.e., does it supply enough air to keep the engine happy)?

Finally, any general comments about your intakes (esp. if you've ever had your bypass valce kick in...or just general performance comments) would be appreciated.

Just make it a short ram in the winter. easiest thing to do in your situation. Allthough I truly do not see how snow gets packed into a fender well that is covered on the bottom. :D

Yeah even if the fender well is packed with snow, the intake is in a separate compartment in front of the wheel well.

ok, i had the wrong impression of where the filter actually sits. this changes everything! if it's not directly exposed to the elements, than it seems like getting the bypass valve is not really worth it (since i really can't see water getting up into there)....hmn...

I dont think enough water can get in there to damage anything, Unless you drive through standing water thats like a foot deep.

i've run mine through all of last winter (bad winter here!) anyway, no issue what so ever. i did get the bypass, just in case. it can get dirty and dusting so keeping it clean is real important. i clean mine every few months. more often in the winter months. takes about 45 mins start to finish (cleaning and all). i like the look a lot. not much on the performance gains, joe.

bazooka joe,

when you say not much on performance gains, are you talking about the bypass valve or the CAI? and if the valve, you mean about losing power?

drumsbeloud, i mean, you don't gain a whole lot of power/hp from the CAI with or without the bypass. joe

Last edited:
drumsbeloud, since you're in Ontario, that means that they use a lot of calcium on the roads in winter. This being said, I would recommend you to remove the CAI in the winter. It is made out of wire mesh after all.... If its anywere like here in Mtl, just to be on the safe side.

Save you the problem of keeping it clean. Plus, last winter we had a steady month of -25 degree C, you're fuel comsumption would of jetpack through the roof!!!!!
;)

Has far as water and snow.....dont worry. I passed underneath a flooded bridge and the engine never hesitated.

Back