Infotainment system reboots many times when cold on 2016 CX-5

I have the exact same car CX5 GT 2016. It had happened to me once last year. I took out the SD card and cleaned it using a lying around MAF cleaner. It did not help. What helped was blowing some air into the SD card hole using a can of compressed air. I cleaned both the jacks and the USB ports. Only when I cleaned the USB ports did the reboots stop occurring. I have a feeling the USB ports with the SD cart ports are all connected to a single I/O adapter which feeds into the main unit. Try cleaning inside and ANY connected devices 1st.

I'll get the compressed air and clean out the ports, clean off the card contacts and see if that helps.
@yugrus - when you 'cloned' your card did you just format the new destination card and copy files over? Or was there a particular utility you used?

My 'gut' instinct is telling me this is an SD card issue. If the cleaning doesn't work I may just try putting the sd card in my pocket for a few minutes to warm it up and see if that helps...

It was three years ago, but I'm sure I just formatted and copied files. Because I was surprised it worked...

It was three years ago, but I'm sure I just formatted and copied files. Because I was surprised it worked...
I thought therere some hidden files in OEM SD card which have to use something like old DOS DISKCOPY command to copy them over? But it did work for you, worth a try.

Ya, I may be full of it here... But there are multiple means to make an image of OEM SD and dump it on the new card.

Ya, I may be full of it here... But there are multiple means to make an image of OEM SD and dump it on the new card.
Would you mind to suggest one or two making an image of OEM SD card? My Navigation has been broken for almost 2 years and with new year coming I have to start to investigate it as my new car warranty is getting short.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

But I don't recall using anything special to make a copy. Darn, I need to make another one just to be sure.

Use xcopy. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771254%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
Example: xcopy a: b: /s /e /h (A: your SD card drive / b: Your new destination folder)

If Windows 10 users - then use Robocopy : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy

Differences - xcopy, copy, disckcopy: http://www.ahuka.com/?page_id=25

dd command can be used on Linux or OS X
dd commend for UNIX / Linux! Havent use it for a while!

Now our Internet is acting up due to 18F weather for the last several days I believe. The tech from Spectrum was amazed to see all the connectors inside the small distribution tower on the back alley are all frozen up and the downstream isn't functioning. He could only call up different crew to check the lines to their server and fix it. Luckily I just dumped AT&T wireless after 27 years of service, and switched to T-Mobile with unlimited data to use!

Thanks guys for all the info and I need to find a similar-sized SD card to make an image copy. The OEM SD card should be 8GB if I remember it correctly?

I just popped my SD card into my Mac. Terminal says it's only 7.9 GB so I think i'm going to try cloning it with a cheap 16GB SD card from Walmart and see if that works.

Last edited:
Tried cloning my nav card, but it just said it was an invalid card and wouldn't load the nav off of it. bummed.

We had 19 degree weather this morning so it was a good test. Replacing the auxiliary jack did not work. I figured as much. The only thing it could be now is the nav card.

must be some kind of permissions set on the nav card. i can't seem to clone it. when I enter xcopy q: f: /s /e /h I get "Invalid drive specification, 0 file copied". I know these are the correct drives.

when i type in dir q: (where the card shows up) I get "Access is denied". Probably why it didn't work when i tried to clone it on my mac. Also went under Security in Properties and it says "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings." Guess maybe i'll have to rely on the dealer to fix it.

FIXED!!! There is a TSB #09-17/17 "Audio, Navigation and phone concerns with Mazda Connect Infotainment System". They basically just replaced the nav card I think. But since it's a TSB I think it's probably a free fix even if your car is out of warranty. Might be worth checking into at least. It was 9 degrees this morning and my radio did not reboot even once. Wahoo!

Congrats on the fix.
Your old SD card did not like cold weather....
Consumer electronics are spec-ed and designed for -40C to 125C.
In reality, they were not fully tested on full temp range when they came out of factory.

FIXED!!! There is a TSB #09-17/17 "Audio, Navigation and phone concerns with Mazda Connect Infotainment System". They basically just replaced the nav card I think. But since it's a TSB I think it's probably a free fix even if your car is out of warranty. Might be worth checking into at least. It was 9 degrees this morning and my radio did not reboot even once. Wahoo!

Congrats on the fix.

Would be good to see a full copy of that TSB!!

Last edited:
Back