Infotainment System Bugs

My car has the built in antenna only for digital TV,
The radio one os in the shark fin(hatchback)
In japan, I have NEVER experienced bad signal

Plus, the screen itself is removable so I don't see it being a big hassle to replace.
If they do come up with something cooler, I will definitely work out a way of retro fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My US-spec hatchback also has the shark-fin style antenna and I have not had any reception issues with AM or FM radio here in the US.

If someone read Consumer Reports, he'd see that CR readers gave the '14 Audio System very poor reviews - probably for the very same reasons this thread exists. Otherwise its a great car!

cd0c8225f25d72edada26128c6dec53d.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I just checked my "old" catalog - all in japanese by the way.
And IN JAPAN, there are 3 main categories of sound system. (See my rough translation below)

•Base - no infotainment and low specification speakers
•Upgrade - infotainment system with upgraded speakers.
-optionals, dvd/tv player.
•Bose - infotainment system with Bose speakers and amplifier.
-optionals, dvd/tv player.

I wonder if the USA/Canada cars get the car with Infotainment and low specification speakers

I have the middle one, infotainment with upgraded speaker, whatever that means, and the DVD/TV option.
I regret getting the optional dvd thing because you can only watch it with the vehicle turned off, and the tv can only be watched with the vehicle in Park(fair enough).
But in winter, -30 Celsius outside, I am not risking leaving that screen on and a disc rotating while the battery isn't being recharged.

My US-spec hatchback also has the shark-fin style antenna and I have not had any reception issues with AM or FM radio here in the US.

If someone read Consumer Reports, he'd see that CR readers gave the '14 Audio System very poor reviews - probably for the very same reasons this thread exists. Otherwise its a great car!

cd0c8225f25d72edada26128c6dec53d.jpg

You'll notice that the MX5 gets excellent ratings for the audio system. That's because its system is 1/10th as complex. Virtually every manufacturer has been having trouble with their high-tech enfotaiment systems, including Tesla (whose only vehicle is now rated just "average", overall.

I'm a new Mazda 3 owner (2015 Grand Touring 3 weeks old) and have really been liking this car.

The infotainment system hasn't given me any trouble. There's one bug though that really drives me nuts.

I live in Indiana, 20 minutes from Chicago, and am in CST. The GPS clock setting thinks that as soon as I hit Indiana, I'm in EST. The only workaround I've found is to manually set it, but this isn't the 1730s! I want to use the auto set!

You'll notice that the MX5 gets excellent ratings for the audio system. That's because its system is 1/10th as complex. Virtually every manufacturer has been having trouble with their high-tech enfotaiment systems, including Tesla (whose only vehicle is now rated just "average", overall.
I am sorry....but I can't let your comment go unchallenged.

For one thing, what evidence do you have to support your statement: "Virtually every manufacturer has been having trouble with their high-tech enfotaiment systems"? [emphasis added]

Secondly, the Mazda's infotainment system in the 3s 2014/2015s is in fact NOT very complex, at least not as complex relative to other infotainment systems like the one in the Tesla. I don't know where you're getting your facts, but the one fact remains: Mazdas infotainment system in the 2014/2015 Mazda3 is a dud. There is no point in arguing the contrary. :)

For one thing, what evidence do you have to support your statement: "Virtually every manufacturer has been having trouble with their high-tech enfotaiment systems"? [emphasis added]

Secondly, the Mazda's infotainment system in the 3s 2014/2015s is in fact NOT very complex, at least not as complex relative to other infotainment systems like the one in the Tesla. I don't know where you're getting your facts, but the one fact remains: Mazdas infotainment system in the 2014/2015 Mazda3 is a dud. There is no point in arguing the contrary. :)

I disagree with you Google.
I really the infotainment system of my japanese Axela

I agree with Bruns. While my system has some faults, they are are annoying, not terrible like the first generation Ford Mytouch, or whatever it was called. My system continues to exhibit dementia, forgetting channels and the last song played on the flash drive. But these occurrences are infrequent. I think the interface is very good, there are just some functional issues.

Google's statement of the system is a 'dud' is harsh and an over-reach, IMO.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had issues with the system suddenly claiming the flash drive has been disconnected after a brief shutdown/restart (i.e.- when getting gas) or being unable to scroll through the source list to get down to (and select) the CD source? Also, the infotainment seems to not like switching to a call over Bluetooth from listening to USB audio. These are the latest issues I'm having with v.33 on my '14 sGT

Tesla's reliability has been downgraded to "Average", compared to the Mazda 3's "Better than Average". The reason: Electronics.
Again, Car & Driver selected the Mazda 3's interior, including its enfotainment system as "Best in ANY vehicle costing $30,000 and under. Their editors drive virtually every vehicle model sold in the US - many for 30,000 miles as long-term test vehicles. They should know.

Look back 5 years or so when BMW came out with their space ball-like controller. It was HORRIBLE by anyone's standard. Many car mag writers complained about it, often.
Lexus has been having issues with their audio section of the infotainment package. This is easily identified in Consumer Reports' annual auto issue.
GM had issues with CD changers
Ford, well, you know what happened
The list goes on and on......
In fact, you will see this black mark in many high end vehicles' reliability chart because up until recently (5-10 years), the super high-end electronics packages were available in only expensive vehicles.

I have not had a problem with bluetooth calls and the usb flash drive. I have a '15 with ver. 33.

Wow....the power of suggestion really works for some. Kinda reminds of the Taylor Swift song and how a reference was made about Starbucks. People believe what they want to believe based on suggestion or if they read it somewhere...hence it must be true.

The poor interior in the Mazda3 was one of the top three things that we disliked about the new Mazdas when we first looked at it.

The fact is that any honest service advisor will tell you that they have tonnes of complaints on the infotainment system.
Any how, aside from the interior esthetics including cheapish feel to it and the horrible infotainment system including poor FM, the Mazda3 is a very solid car...at least it has been historically. However, only time will tell. New studies are suggesting that cars built within the last few years aren't going to be as reliable as generations past.

Your opinions are noted . . . . but not actually supported.
The service advisor where we bought our CX5 & M3 - one of three high volume Mazda dealerships in NC & VA owned by the same group - tells me that the few complaints on the infotainment system involve the audio system's perceived lack of bass. With two vehicles I've gotten to know him pretty well and he has been very forthcoming on service issues.

For whatever reason and I could list several, you are bound and determined to swerve the facts on these cars.
For the record, the M3 has plenty of bass for me and my crew, the back up camera is way quicker to activate than most other cars, the apps work great, and US News, Car & Driver, and several other publications besides Consumer Reports have given the M3 rave reviews. So do I.

Just a quick update: my '14 3s Grand Touring goes in this Friday for a diagnosis. Both the service advisor and a rep at Mazda USA have mentioned to me a bulletin 09-008/15 which doesn't *technically* apply to my '14 3 hatch, but they're starting to think my problems with the USB and the infotainment *might* be hardware related. I'm currently running OS v33.

Last edited:
Your opinions are noted . . . . but not actually supported.
The service advisor where we bought our CX5 & M3 - one of three high volume Mazda dealerships in NC & VA owned by the same group - tells me that the few complaints on the infotainment system involve the audio system's perceived lack of bass. With two vehicles I've gotten to know him pretty well and he has been very forthcoming on service issues.

For whatever reason and I could list several, you are bound and determined to swerve the facts on these cars.
For the record, the M3 has plenty of bass for me and my crew, the back up camera is way quicker to activate than most other cars, the apps work great, and US News, Car & Driver, and several other publications besides Consumer Reports have given the M3 rave reviews. So do I.

Ditto to you sir. Your info is not supported by facts rather bias articles.

It's interesting how people come to their own conclusions on what constitutes issues....in this infotainment system. I never mentioned anything about bass or about the CX5.

Again, people's opinions such as yours are often strengthened or validated when they seek out information to intentionally support what they're looking for. Heck, the devil can rationalize his actions by passages in the bible. If you feel better believing a salesman and that the infotainment in the M3 is perfect, go right ahead. It doesnt matter to me what you think.

Are you girls still going on about this?

US News and Consumer Reports are definitely not biased.
CR alone is responsible for the introduction of rollover testing, and was instumental in faster adoption of stability control systems, and anti-lock braking.
CR was also responsible for the quick adoption of offset crash testing by the IHSI.
They were also early advocates for blind side monitoring, which Google seems to think is not really needed, and collision avoidance.

US News & World Reports also has a stellar reputation in their rankings of medical insurance and colleges, and is widely viewed the 'industry standard' for both so I believe their auto articles are also good to go.

The low scores for the 2014 Mazda 3's and 2015 Cx5's audio system in the owner's surveys are based on . . . . surprise, the audio functions as the '2015 CX's DO NOT have the larger display screen or the connectivity and other apps on the M3.
Both got black circles for the Bose Centerpoint audio systems which are practically identical as they are calibrated for each vehicle's interior; but they have two different displays and the CX has no apps.
Bluetooth in both our Mazdas is way better than our Sonata as is the backup camera; the Sonata's takes three times as long to 'boot up.'
The 2016 CX and the hot looking new CX3 will have infotainment systems identical to the M3.

I did not attribute the audio system's bass performance any individual; I read it in a review somewhere.
I think ours are fine but I guess some want their cars to bounce up and down when their subs are going.

As for Bruns, this is my just my second post on this topic; I just could not let unsupported and biased misinformation go unchallenged.

Just a little point i want to make.

My brother just upgraded from a Fiat Panda to a an E class coupe (2013).
And he still reckons the bass on my M3 is better than that on his E class...

Dont worry Mr. Awkward.
I've been told off by Google as well for not having an "american" Mazda3. I just got tired of one way conversations.
You made good points!

US News and Consumer Reports are definitely not biased.

delusional much? the media especially CR is not biased? why do you say such foolish things? I guess in your dream world it allows you to dream of a world in the near future where things are more like the way you would like them to be. Perhaps It gives you fertile ground for you to hope and dream there is some rational belief for thinking that your dream world is somehow closer to a reality than it actually is.

Any way, our V33 infotainment started to become completely unresponsive, reboot, audio shuts off...until ignition is turned off and car is restarted.

I just got a 2015 sGT and so far I've noticed the Bluetooth seems to be a bit buggy. It often "hiccups" during audio playback. I've also had the car fail to reconnect to my phone once. Also I've noticed sometimes that I will have the system on Entertainment with bluetooth selected and on the artist/song/album view, but then when I get back in the car and start the bluetooth playback starts but the screen is now on the sources screen.

delusional much? the media especially CR is not biased? why do you say such foolish things? I guess in your dream world it allows you to dream of a world in the near future where things are more like the way you would like them to be. Perhaps It gives you fertile ground for you to hope and dream there is some rational belief for thinking that your dream world is somehow closer to a reality than it actually is.

G, you appear to be the one with mental issues.
I've posted nothing foolish.
I'm not dreaming but you appear to be high on something.
Perhaps stop posting while u r so baked or stick to a topic you have some real knowledge of instead of coming across as an idiot.

Back