Infiverse Mazda Protege5 Build

Good evening or morning everyone!

I'm new to the Mazdas247 forum and wanted to introduce myself and my P5 build! Well mainly my P5!

My father bought this car in 2011 w/ 120,000 and finally handed it to me in 2017 with 303,000 miles. It wasn't in the best shape, but after 4 years and 343,000 miles later the motor gave out. (Picture below from when I first got it)
IMG_4943.JPG

A lot of work has been done to it in the past four years until the motor finally gave out. (Most recent pic below)
DSC07073.jpg

The block is currently at the machine shop and is getting prepped for forged internals. I'm still on the edge about throwing a turbo at this thing, but feel that it's going to be worth it! Glad to be a part of this forum!

Mods from the past 4 years

-Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
-WeaponR Aluminum Coolant Reservoir
-MP3 ECU
-Injen Cold Air Intake
-Racing Beat Catback Exhaust
-YellowSpeed Coilovers
-AWR Endlinks
-MazdaSpeed Protege Front Lip
-MazdaSpeed3 18' Wheels

I also replaced the motor this February of 2021, but the motor didn't last long unfortunately. I decided to do everything right this time around and decided to go with forged internals. The crankshaft has been refurbished and ready! The block is currently awaiting the machine work, but will be getting K1 forged rods, 9:2:1 Wiseco forged pistons, ARP main & head Studs, main and rod bearings.

I was going to go with the Pauter rods, but was out of the budget this time around. I'm also grabbing a CX Intercooler kit, Pope down pipe, Pope exhaust manifold, Hydra Motorsports lightweight crank pulley, adjustable cams, throttle body and intake manifold spacers, CX T2 Turbo (pending) and the MSP ECU or Standalone ECU or SplitSecond fuel management.

This includes the AWR solid mounts as well! I'm pretty excited about gathering all these parts for my car and hope to get it back on the road in a few weeks!

Hey, welcome to the forum! Great to see another Silver P5 on here, it looks fantastic, especially for that mileage.

From the second picture, it looks to me like your clearcoat is peeling at the tops of your doors. My silver P5 is doing the exact same thing, and it's especially obvious on the door handles. I also have half the mileage though, which makes your P5 all the more amazing at it's current mileage.

Looking forward to seeing new posts on here!

Hi everyone! Quick update on the build:

Machine shop was able to gather the pistons, rods and bearings but is waiting on a ETA for the main and head studs plus thrust washers. The oil squirters were tapped and plugged, freeze plugs have been removed, the block is getting thrown in the oven and baked as I am writing this!

I'm currently on a mission to find an MSP windage tray, aftermarket intake/exhaust manifold, turbo kit, turbo and a few other things. I'm also going to buy a refurbished transmission from NAPA or AutoZone since my old one is having issues.

The head is going to get ported and polished most likely!

Hey, welcome to the forum! Great to see another Silver P5 on here, it looks fantastic, especially for that mileage.

From the second picture, it looks to me like your clearcoat is peeling at the tops of your doors. My silver P5 is doing the exact same thing, and it's especially obvious on the door handles. I also have half the mileage though, which makes your P5 all the more amazing at it's current mileage.

Looking forward to seeing new posts on here!
Thank you bro! The clearcoat has been peeling for a few years now, but after I complete the motor and transmission I'm going to send the vehicle to get painted.

Quick update:

Shop that refurbished my cylinder head pretty much did a shotty job and now I have to buy new parts and machine the new one I got from JP Parts.

ARP Main Studs are finally back in stock so the motor will be done soon. I also received the CX Racing Intercooler Kit about a week ago.

Cars been sitting since June so I'm hoping to get this done before the end of the year.

Any recommendations on the turbo?

Depends on what kind of driving you plan to do and what kind of budget you have. Low speed autoX? Highway? Just a nice DD?

Something that spools quick is nice to have buy will destroy the transmission and differential over time especially if you have grippy tires and don't just spin the wheels.

Something that builds boost slowly is not as nice to DD and not great for low speed autoX parking lot stuff but will cause less stress on the transmission and differential and have better top end which is what wins most races on unprepared surfaces and keeps you pinned against your seat during 3rd and 4th gear pulls.

See if you can drive some similar cars to get an idea of what you like. For me I always prefer having top end that doesn't quit and pulls right to redline in 3rd and 4th. I also don't mind downshifting to pass on the highway. Others may not like that in a DD and complain about not having X power at 3krpm etc.

Personally for a built motor I would say anything bigger than MSP turbo is great if you can swing it. MSP turbo if you are just trying to get the thing running.

Do you have LSD? If not you will one wheel peel everywhere regardless of what turbo you select etc.

Modding proteges.. It's like a big onion.. how many layers are you willing to peel to become satisfied with what you drive? lol

Depends on what kind of driving you plan to do and what kind of budget you have. Low speed autoX? Highway? Just a nice DD?

Something that spools quick is nice to have buy will destroy the transmission and differential over time especially if you have grippy tires and don't just spin the wheels.

Something that builds boost slowly is not as nice to DD and not great for low speed autoX parking lot stuff but will cause less stress on the transmission and differential and have better top end which is what wins most races on unprepared surfaces and keeps you pinned against your seat during 3rd and 4th gear pulls.

See if you can drive some similar cars to get an idea of what you like. For me I always prefer having top end that doesn't quit and pulls right to redline in 3rd and 4th. I also don't mind downshifting to pass on the highway. Others may not like that in a DD and complain about not having X power at 3krpm etc.

Personally for a built motor I would say anything bigger than MSP turbo is great if you can swing it. MSP turbo if you are just trying to get the thing running.

Do you have LSD? If not you will one wheel peel everywhere regardless of what turbo you select etc.

Modding proteges.. It's like a big onion.. how many layers are you willing to peel to become satisfied with what you drive? lol
Thank you for the feedback bro! I'm gonna daily the car so I wouldn't mind a turbo for that occasion.

I dont have an LSD yet. What would you recommend?

Honestly they are not cheap last I checked and unless you or someone you know is keen on installing one you are almost better off just living with what you have until it breaks or possibly even finding a used MSP transmission.

I have seen used MSP transmissions go for a few hundred dollars before though it's sort of like a needle in a haystack. If someone is parting out a car you may be able to get the trans cheap. If you are lucky and can find one that is definitely the easiest plug and play solution though I am not sure how the wheel sensor would work offhand as msp uses abs for wheel speed and not a cable drive sensor which I think the p5 uses. You might also be able to get the larger MSP axles as well. There is probably info on this board about it somewhere.

Otherwise I believe M Factory (which is better from what I understand than MSP lsd) or stock MSP from dealer or reseller is the only option though others may be able to chime in with some better info I have been out of the loop for a while maybe there are other options out there in 2021 I am not too sure.

Back