Impressions of the CX-50

:
22 CX9 94 B3000
I was at my local dealer this weekend for service and they had a pre-release CX-50 on their showroom floor for a couple hours. I thought I would share my impressions.

First off, it wasn't available to drive, so no test drives. I'm not that familiar with the trim lines, but I am guessing it was one of the top trims. It had the upgraded leather and the massive panoramic moon roof. We have all seen the pics, so I won't bore you with what it looks like, But the Styling is nice, although I think the back is just kind of plain. There is a ton of room in the back. I would have to stretch just to touch the rear seats from the open back end. Also it's nice they have a way to stow the rear cargo cover in the spare tire compartment.

Unfortunately there were a couple of negatives too. First is the panoramic moon roof. Its a two panel system and only the front panel moves. Then it only opens about half of the depth of the panel. The actual opening is quite small, and I would say even smaller than a traditional non panoramic moon roof of something like a Subaru Outback, and substantially smaller than the opening of the panoramic moonroof of a Subaru Forester. If you get a CX-50 and opt for the upgraded package to get the moonroof, just be aware of how it operates.

The other negative that I has was the lack of headroom. I know they started with the CX-5, lifted it for more ground clearance, made it wider and lowered the roof a bit. I know they are aiming to compete more directly with the Subaru Outback, and I think they wanted it to look more like a wagon. But in doing so, they reduced the headroom. Now I am a taller guy (6'3") and a lot of my height is from the waist up, but when I tried to get in, I hit my ears on the door frame. My head almost touched the glass moonroof, and frame of the moonroof hit the side of my head. I know, this won't affect that many people, but I wanted to let you know what my experience was.

BTW, I am not a Mazda hater or a Subaru lover. Well I do really like Subaru's. I just traded in an 18 Outback for a 22 CX-9. My wife currently owns a Forester with the larger moonroof. All of them are great cars. And I think they have earned their reputation as two of the best car brands.

Thanks for the sharing your impression.

Is the panoramic moonroof made of safety glass?
Mazda's as well as the Subaru's?

I think the cx9 has a little more headroom than the cx5. Too bad they don't make them taller.

I was at my local dealer this weekend for service and they had a pre-release CX-50 on their showroom floor for a couple hours. I thought I would share my impressions.

First off, it wasn't available to drive, so no test drives. I'm not that familiar with the trim lines, but I am guessing it was one of the top trims. It had the upgraded leather and the massive panoramic moon roof. We have all seen the pics, so I won't bore you with what it looks like, But the Styling is nice, although I think the back is just kind of plain. There is a ton of room in the back. I would have to stretch just to touch the rear seats from the open back end. Also it's nice they have a way to stow the rear cargo cover in the spare tire compartment.

Unfortunately there were a couple of negatives too. First is the panoramic moon roof. Its a two panel system and only the front panel moves. Then it only opens about half of the depth of the panel. The actual opening is quite small, and I would say even smaller than a traditional non panoramic moon roof of something like a Subaru Outback, and substantially smaller than the opening of the panoramic moonroof of a Subaru Forester. If you get a CX-50 and opt for the upgraded package to get the moonroof, just be aware of how it operates.

The other negative that I has was the lack of headroom. I know they started with the CX-5, lifted it for more ground clearance, made it wider and lowered the roof a bit. I know they are aiming to compete more directly with the Subaru Outback, and I think they wanted it to look more like a wagon. But in doing so, they reduced the headroom. Now I am a taller guy (6'3") and a lot of my height is from the waist up, but when I tried to get in, I hit my ears on the door frame. My head almost touched the glass moonroof, and frame of the moonroof hit the side of my head. I know, this won't affect that many people, but I wanted to let you know what my experience was.

BTW, I am not a Mazda hater or a Subaru lover. Well I do really like Subaru's. I just traded in an 18 Outback for a 22 CX-9. My wife currently owns a Forester with the larger moonroof. All of them are great cars. And I think they have earned their reputation as two of the best car brands.
I wonder if the seat could be lowered, and you are expected to sit kind of reclined, more like a sedan.

I really like the CX-5 seating and height, don't need more ground clearance, or better roof access. I'm hoping at least the CX-70 sits more like the CX-5.

Thanks for the sharing your impression.

Is the panoramic moonroof made of safety glass?
Mazda's as well as the Subaru's?

All automobile glass is safety (tempered) glass. The windshield is also laminated glass.

Craigo,
I should correct myself here.
Safety glass breaks into pieces.
Laminated glass is better for passengers' safety in severe crashes.
I meant to say *laminated glass* in my original post.

As you mentioned, even side windows are not made of laminated glass.
It is hard to expect the moonroof to be.
The panoramic roof is a big piece of glass, though. That calls for my concern.

All automobile glass is safety (tempered) glass. The windshield is also laminated glass.

OP can you comment on the visibility, especially out the rear. I have a CX-5 and my wife's main complaint is the rear view. I have sat in a Forrester and was impressed by the amount of glass all around.

OP can you comment on the visibility, especially out the rear. I have a CX-5 and my wife's main complaint is the rear view. I have sat in a Forrester and was impressed by the amount of glass all around.
I'm sorry I cannot. I was more focused how I fit and the seating position.

Craigo,
I should correct myself here.
Safety glass breaks into pieces.
Laminated glass is better for passengers' safety in severe crashes.
I meant to say *laminated glass* in my original post.

As you mentioned, even side windows are not made of laminated glass.
It is hard to expect the moonroof to be.
The panoramic roof is a big piece of glass, though. That calls for my concern.

Based on this article from 2018 it sounds like most manufacturers with panoramic roofs are using laminated glass for it. I bet it is laminated. It is kind of a confusing article though as some manufacturers seem to be commenting on regular sunroofs and not the panoramic. And, it is nearly 4 years old.

It notes with these large roofs there is the possibility of ejection - so it makes sense they would choose to use laminated.

Here's a YouTube link to a TikTok video that shows the panoramic roof movement as well as the automatic sliding shade/cover. The front portion which opens seems very similar to my CX-5's sunroof (tilt and sliding open slightly more than 1/2).

Ignore the cutesy virtual person at the beginning. ;)

CX-50 Panoramic Roof

Not sure this MT review has been posted yet, but I was surprised at the amount of criticisms. I'd come to love the looks, sounds like it handles great (I like that despite it being a crossover), I don't mind the big dimensions vs small cargo compromises, but the review really doesn't hold back over the ride.

Id def be giving this a hard core test drive before buying.

Not sure this MT review has been posted yet, but I was surprised at the amount of criticisms. I'd come to love the looks, sounds like it handles great (I like that despite it being a crossover), I don't mind the big dimensions vs small cargo compromises, but the review really doesn't hold back over the ride.

I saw this posted elsewhere and I had the same thoughts as you. This review seems to be quite harsh and critical. It seems to be an outlier. I am all for these critics to be..critical, but they seem to be the only review thus far that talks about how much they didn't like it.

This is coming from the assholes at Motortrend and there is a long history. They have an agenda with Mazda cars. My advice, don t give them anymore hits and please don t post them here. :)

The only thing that seemed concerning to me in the review, rather than just preference, is the twitchy steering and their difficulty in keeping it in the lane on the freeway.

I'll take it with a grain of salt.

This is coming from the assholes at Motortrend and there is a long history. They have an agenda with Mazda cars. My advice, don t give them anymore hits and please don t post them here. :)
Hmm, I'd no idea. I usually hit C and D first, and they adore Mazda. Including the CX50. They didn't mention the wandering.

I'll look more into the MT bias, I'm interested now.

Back