Immediate Help Appreciated

AlturredMP5

:
03 MP5, 75 MG Midget
apparently i have to replace my valve cover gasket due to the large amount of oil spewing from between my valve cover and my exhaust manifold. i have a few questions about doing this.

1. would most auto parts stores carry this item?

2. any suggestions as to what brand, if there are more than one?

3. is it an easy fix?

4. since i will have the valve cover off, what color should i paint it lol?

5. just for reference, is there a how-to about changing the valve cover
gasket? ive searched and couldnt really find anything.

i would appreciate it if anybody could help me out with these

thanks a lot

the gasket from mazda is like 15-20 bucks. EDIT: i guess my price is wrong

Its a pretty easy fix.
Look here: http://protege5.ugly.net/01-10b.PDF
Page 0110B10 shows what order to undo the bolts and 0110B13 shows the order to put it back on. the torque specs are in that pdf somewhere.

Pop out your spark plug things, undo the coil packs, undo bolts, replace gasket. I think you have to oil the new gasket before you put it in. redo everything.

thanks a lot guys. that how to by equinox was one of the ones i was looking for. i used to hang out with him before he moved back to h-town, and i remember when he painted his cover.

gimpo, do you think id be able to get the gasket at an advanced auto parts or autozone?

i want to be back on the road asap, and the dealer isnt open on sunday.

its worth a shot, but i just did a quick search on autozone.com and it didn't look like it. If not just feed it more oil until monday

gimpo2 said:
also see if your valve cover bolts are a little loose.

I would do that because i had the same thing happen to me and they were loose when i took off the valve cover. And the old gasket didn't even seem to have anything wrong with it

I'd be very suprised if you couldn't get the gasket from Advance, Autozone, Napa, Pep Boys... any of those guys.
Is the valve cover shape in the P5 different from other cars using the FE motor?

I doubt they carry the valve cover gasket at local parts shoppes. I'd just go to onlinemazdaparts.com and order it up, it's 26.04 on their site:

part number is FSD7-10-235

I wouldn't take any chances with something as essential as the gasket. Get the genuine mazda gasket and while you might pay a few more $, but I'd be happier with the peace of mind that it was made for my engine.

As for color, red looks nice. Black does, too. Others like to polish it for the chromed look.

RatLabGuy said:
I'd be very suprised if you couldn't get the gasket from Advance, Autozone, Napa, Pep Boys... any of those guys.
Is the valve cover shape in the P5 different from other cars using the FE motor?

surprise!!!!!!

the only one that came close was advanced. they can order it for $37. so im gonna get my g/f to drive me to the dealer tomorrow.

as for the bolts, ill be checking them asap, but id still like to get a gasket to be on the safe side.

i know reagan's (equinox) how-to mentions how to paint the valve cover, but im interested in how to polish it.

If your dealer doesn't have it in stock, buy it from onlinemazdaparts.com because it's quite a bit cheaper.

alright, i just tightened the valve cover bolts pretty tight.

they were so loose i could turn them with my hands, i just hope thats all the problem was. i have 91k highway miles on my car, its never been in the shop for a damn thing before, and i pray i can keep it that way for a while longer.

i tightened them pretty tight. almost as tight as i could with a reg socket wrench. do yall think that may be too tight?

haha, i actually have a sign in my garage that says "stripping for girls only". i dont work on my p5 a lot, my shop is mostly used for my classic 75 mg midget. so i didnt break out the air impact wrench for the valve cover bolts lol

Back