I'm Done with the CX-7

azcat

Rant on...

I bought my 2007 CX-7 new, mainly based on the extremely low maintenance cost and build quality of my 1997 Miata, also bought new. I've have over 30 new cars in my life, and this CX-7 is in the bottom five for maintenance issues, reliability, and irritation. The other bottom feeders are a Dodge Dakota (bought new), an Alfa Romeo GTV (bought used; I should have know better), and two Fiat 124 Spiders (one used, my very first car; one new, my second car--I'm a slow learner).

Starting at 357 miles on the clock, I had the Gas Cap Failure, which reoccurred at 48,898 miles; in between were oil leaks and transfer case leaks, worn out "carpeting," soot on the rear bumper (TSB'd), and paint that's about one step above watercolor in durability. It's been in the shop longer and more times in three years than the Miata has been in 12. Now comes the issues with smoking and the PCV system, and it's out of warranty. (blarf)

I liked the vehicle when I bought it, but this Spring, it's gone. I'm getting something that's been out at least five model years, so the design faults are pretty much all sorted out.

Rant off. Thanks--I feel better.

While they don't come without their own problems, the BMW X3 and X5 have had quite a while to be sorted out and tweaked. My neighbors love their X3 and have had very limited required maintenance. I think it's a 2007.

Either way, good luck!

I love my 2008 CX-7 GT. I bought it last month and the turbo has been replaced. I put new Kumho sneakers on it last week, and man is it nice.

Sorry about your experience.

It's Gone

Traded it for a 2010 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab (red, of course) with the off road package. This forum has been a great source in information and I really appreciate the help I've received here.

See ya!

Latest posts

Back