If you remove the governor how fast do you think MS3 could go?

Max speed of the MS3 if electronic restrictions were lifted?

• Less than 160 MPH

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • 160 MPH to 170 MPH

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • 170 MPH to 180 MPH

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • 180 to 200 MPH

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 200+ MPH

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ELEmental59437 said:
My P5 running 1 bar of boost and no gov topped out at 140 mph, maybe a little higher. your not getting anywhere near 160 in a MS3 IMO

Um sorry but I have already reached 140 like butter...but then again I have a modded this car nice and sweet. And the car just want to go faster...

Refonbass said:
The most recent car and driver article actually states that the car's top speed is Drag limited. So I highly doubt that it would exceed the claimed 155mph top speed even if there were no governer.

yup you are correct its drag limited so good luck reaching it on these shores let alone getting past it with out some heavy mods.

Jean Lindamood in Automobile magazine drove one in Germany on the autobaun and went 161. This wasn't in a write up on the car, but in her page she writes for the magazine every month. This was several months back. Supposedly the car was speed goverened to 155.

justa4banger said:
What governer? I've had my MS3 up to an indicated 140mph i do 130 squirts quite often.
my understanding the MS3 is DRAG limited. latest mag said 151. Mag before that claimed an indicated 155 (speedo can/will be off)

Road & Track claims its 155 electronically limited...

OH yea AUTOMOBILE said Drag limited at 155..................... NOW who you going to believe?????????????
I know this is going to be a shocker but not every mag out there has their s*** straight...... WHAT DOES MAZDA SAY ABOUT THE MS3's TOP SPEED?

(cheers)

Last edited:
There have been two magazine articles about this very question over the last couple of months.

One was in Sport Compact Car, in which the writer (Ed Loh I believe) had the car on the Autobahn and stated they were able to get it up to 155 several times.

Another was in Automobile magazine, in which they flat out said that the Euro MP3 does not seem to have a speed limiter, and the writer (Jean Jennings) was able to hit 162 mph. I think this was also on the autobahn.

FWIW.

automoile magazine tested it on the autobond they hit 262kmh thats 162mph. its on video on there website. a kilometer is 62% of a mile. 262 x 62% is 162. they said the govnerer must have not worked becuse they did 3 times with the same result!!!!!!

Does anyone know the accuracy of the speedometer? Many cars have errors of up to 10%, which becomes increasingly important at these high speeds. Has anyone used GPS to compare with the speedo? My GPS has been on the fritz, if I get it working I'll see what I get.

well my focus svt hit a gps indicated speed of 145mph. The speed 3 has almost 100 more hp than that car so i cant see any problem hitting 155, not that i have tried yet

gsrtype1 said:
automoile magazine tested it on the autobond they hit 262kmh thats 162mph. its on video on there website. a kilometer is 62% of a mile. 262 x 62% is 162. they said the govnerer must have not worked becuse they did 3 times with the same result!!!!!!

Isn't autobond some kind of itch powder?

bast525 said:
There have been two magazine articles about this very question over the last couple of months.

One was in Sport Compact Car, in which the writer (Ed Loh I believe) had the car on the Autobahn and stated they were able to get it up to 155 several times.

Another was in Automobile magazine, in which they flat out said that the Euro MP3 does not seem to have a speed limiter, and the writer (Jean Jennings) was able to hit 162 mph. I think this was also on the autobahn.

FWIW.

There is video of him attaining 155 mph on their site. IIRC it was not yet close to redline at that speed...simply govered by the ECU.

To my recollection, Mazda claims a speed-governed top speed of 155 mph as well.

R

Well, got my gps working, and it appears that the speedo is quite accurate in the sub 100 mph range. Was able to use cruise control at 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80 mph, and all were accurate, with at most 1 mph difference in readings. Don't have the road to try sustained runs at much higher speeds, but it did seem to be accurate at around 100 mph also.

Mocoso said:
Opinions are welcome and no the question isnt intended to address any practical matters....

Someone posted in another thread that a dealer was claiming the car did 216 in Europe after they removed the governor.. my opinion is that the drag and/or gear limited max speed of the MS3 is actually closer to 155 than most think... I would guess somewhere in the 160's.

To put it in perspective:
186 MPH is the drag limit on a C6 corvette with 400HP
198 MPH is the drag limit on a C6 Z06 Corvette with 500+ HP
Needs an extra 100HP to get 10 miles more top speed - No way is the MS3 hitting 200+ MPH IMHO...

gear ratios my friend.

the 216 figure has to be a dealers arrogant over enthusiastic attempt to sell a car to what they obviously considered to be an ignorant prospective buyer, or whats also known as a dishonest bastard trying to (hump) someone.

Oh yeh, my moneys on 160 ish

Speedo definatley is accurate on mine as well. I've had it radared and was always within 1mph of what the speedo said up to 80mph.

Those speedo inaccuracies are often with magnetic speedos and cables. The Mazda uses a totally computerized system, to my knowledge. There should be no cable. This means that the system should be very accurate, if thats what they want.

I was able to get my mps up to approximately 178mph. Obviously with the stock hp Thats impossible. I was able to reach about 430whp on an e85/meth tune. Stock hp your obviously never gonna get over 140mph. The stock turbo completely dies at top end. The bnrs5 with an external dump works pretty good.definitely helps if you want better performance at higher speeds.
359C9F32-A06C-4326-9E07-6540D9CA8CCC.jpeg

Back