Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Inspection. Cleaning Question

surfninjas

Contributor
:
03 mazda protege 5 automatic
related to this thread (final solution) http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123819761-Hopefully-Final-Solution/page2

Due to low rpms during idle (hovering around 500 or under), and 2 stalls at idle today, i think my IACV needs to be cleaned or replaced.

being the subpar car guy i am (working on it), i was excited to read that i would be competent enough to remove the air hose because ive done that before (replacement).

i have also installed a radiator +hoses and thermostat, so although the term "throttle body" is somewhat new to me, i know i can do it fine.

however, is there a way to clean the IACV without removing the throttle body?

also, can i use an engine degreaser (oreillys) instead of brake cleaner for the IACV?

thanks.

however, is there a way to clean the IACV without removing the throttle body?

also, can i use an engine degreaser (oreillys) instead of brake cleaner for the IACV?

thanks.
No and no.
The IACV is held down with 4 Phillips screws. If you press down hard and twist, you can get all the screws off. I had difficulty with three of the screws and stripped them and needed to use a Grabit tool (screw extraction tool from Home Depot that you attach to a power drill) to remove those screws and I had to buy new ones to replace them (since they didn't have phillips head screws at Home Depot that would fit, I bought allen head screws). When you get it off, you spray carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner in the internal body area of the IACV.

correct me if im wrong, but will this require me to drain the coolant too? or is there a way to cheat, and not have to essentially do a coolant flush?

correct me if im wrong, but will this require me to drain the coolant too? or is there a way to cheat, and not have to essentially do a coolant flush?
Removing connections to the IACV first is correct. The amount of anti-freeze that will come out of the hose will be minimal. It's at a point higher than the resevoir so it's not going to drain out like crazy. You will not have to do a coolant flush.

thanks. gonna have it scanned to make sure its not something else...i hope its just spark plugs, but i doubt it.

also, i read that for the autoMANtic p5, the idle is supposed to be around 600-800rpm. confirm or deny?

thanks. gonna have it scanned to make sure its not something else...i hope its just spark plugs, but i doubt it.

also, i read that for the autoMANtic p5, the idle is supposed to be around 600-800rpm. confirm or deny?

Yeah, it's around that range.
To note, you do not need to remove the throttle body. The four screws that go in the IACV go into the throttle body. You might need to move some hoses to get to the screws, nothing rocket science. Just unscrew a bolt that goes into a bracket that holds the rubber hoses and move it off to the side.

well, im and idiot (and my gfs brother that was helping). had it scanned, and guy reconnected a hose we removed when we did the alternator install.

so i grabbed him a 6 pack. car is running fine. yay.

Back