I want to replace stock antenna

:
2007 Mazda 3s Touring Phantom Blue Mica
Hi everyone, I want to replace my stock antenna. I have had FM reception problems from day 1. Static and such while driving around the city. I would like a shorter antenna, but I want better reception. Which antenna's woul you advice?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've heard people haven't lost reception with the shark fin or stubby. But I would guess if you already have bad reception getting a shorter antenna won't help. Have you taken you car to the dealership?

Agreed with Operator. The shark fin (which looks fantastic) and the stubby dont have worse reception than the stock; but they also wont improve it. If you are having reception problems, you could try your dealership but if it is in the city it may just be a lot of interference.

I haven't checked with the dealer because I am in the NYC. I assumed it was just interference, though I have been in other cars and not heard nearly has much. But the truth is I am just waiting on Sirius to get their act together, then I wouldn't be listening to radio that much either way.

With regards to the sharkfin, how do you replace the stock antenna on the 07 Mazda 3 with that? Is it an easy installation? No need for drilling or such? If it's not then I would guess my easy bet would be a stubby, do you agree?

Which site/make/brand would you recommend purchasing?

Thanks for all the info.

well i dont have thelink for the sharkfin antennas but they are very easy to install. they dont need drilling or screws. it uses double sided 3M tape. They come painted to match and they supposedly work very well. You may find them if you do a quick search.

dude... you have no idea how much stuff on your car is held on with "tape"... the 3m automotive tape is some serious s***...

i would talk to your/a dealer and try to order a cx7 antenna as they are oem stubby like a s2000 so they will give good/better reception and have more style... also check to make sure your antenna wire isn't unplugged from your stereo its on the passenger side of the center console that lil panel by their left foot is just held in by 1 or 2 push tabs iirc...

I have the sharkfin on my car. works great. the 3M tape is definitly serious stuff. in fact, you will not be able to remove it after you put it on so make damn sure you line up the fin straight! The only way to take it back off is to take a razor blade through the foam tape and cut the antenna off. then use solvent to remove the rest of the foam and adhesive.

And Just FYI. 3m has some tape that they use to attach carbon fiber airplane wing parts! at first no one in the aero wanted to use the stuff. I can understand why. but they ran it and a standard wing through a bunch of test's and the taped wing was stronger in the joint area in EVERY test. 2-3 times stronger in fact!

Zc

Derek whatcha talking about? the stubby has more style than the shark fin? you are messed up in the head man. too much clam chowders clouded your head bro.

no not more then the sharkfin just more then oem... thats what i meant don't have to get all mad about it... (rofl)

DQuestic said:
Hi everyone, I want to replace my stock antenna. I have had FM reception problems from day 1. Static and such while driving around the city. I would like a shorter antenna, but I want better reception. Which antenna's woul you advice?

Thanks

Have you replaced it yet? Want to sell your factory antenna?

I got this off ebay.

dscf1263ib0.jpg

for everyone still looking for a short antenna, i want to point your attention to this site:

http://www.carccessory.com/product.asp?key=Stubby_Short_Antenna_

The plain black one, 2.55 inches is on this site for 5.99 plus 5 shipping. The reception is 3 out of 5, and at that price I'll take it. I dont listen to the radio all that much, and at 10.99 shipped I think it is a great deal. I used paypal beacuse I am not familiar with the site, but if you still want a stubby antenna you should check out that site, they have other type of stubbys as well!!!

Back