I need shocks?????

Lani

:
Mazda 3S
I went to the Mazda Dealer for an oil change today and the guy came out claiming I need two new front shocks. Apparently, they're leaking oil. Anyway I can check this myself? And also, is this a common problem at 50,000 miles... it seems a bit premature to me.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Thank You!
~Anna~

hey, you coming to the hopkington meet tomorrow?? you can have my stock shocks if you want them?? 50k is about middle of the road, i'd guess they might last a bit longer though.....? mine stockers have about 30k on them.

RacerChick said:
I went to the Mazda Dealer for an oil change today and the guy came out claiming I need two new front shocks. Apparently, they're leaking oil. Anyway I can check this myself? And also, is this a common problem at 50,000 miles... it seems a bit premature to me.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Thank You!
~Anna~

Hmmm thats extremely early for shocks to go dead....on ANY car with good stock suspention. Look at my 97 Nissan Maxima, it has 114,000 miles on it and STILL stock struts. Unless you do some kind of EXTREME driving that I havent learned yet and if your struts are faulty, then you are fine. Some people at the dealers are just assholes and trying to mislead some customers and get more money outta poor people. But then again dont take my word for it.

if they are leaking you need to replace them, all you do is look inside your wheel wells (prefferably with the tires off) and check just above the coil seat and if there is an oil coming from there they are bad. most people in the business recommend new struts every 50,000 miles anyway... they do last longer at times, but if they are leaking they will shortly stop working and cause odd tire wear and other such problems...

BUt dealerships just want money when ever they have a chance i used to work at the dealership. it usually started with a 25.00 dollar oil change and goes up to brakes job and expense 25k 50k service.

nezumi said:
BUt dealerships just want money when ever they have a chance i used to work at the dealership. it usually started with a 25.00 dollar oil change and goes up to brakes job and expense 25k 50k service.

i don't work at a dealership but i do work with suspensions, and we do recommend "shocks" every 50,000 miles leaking or not, but especially when they're leaking...perhaps if a few more people on this forum knew what the hell they were talking about we wouldn't have to deal with bad posts like this.

I agree with mumshquat (although he was a little harsh). Shocks are really are an important part of a car that handles well. I think 50,000 miles sounds about right. Don't wait until they start leaking....some shocks never leak after 200,000 miles.

You can tell if a cars shocks are worn out by how much the body rolls. Especially under braking (the rear end rises up) or accelleration (front end rises up). Even cornering you can see a large gap between the tire and the wheel well. But shocks wear very slowly over time and sometimes it's hard to tell when they're worn out. You might have to have someone else drive the car so you can follow behind and watch for yourself.

It used to be that you could just push on a front or rear fender and bounce the car. If it kept bouncing, you needed new shocks. But this doesn't seem to apply as much anymore (unless your shocks are TOTALLY shot!).

Good shocks (Mazdaspeed, Tokiko, KYB, Bilstein, Koni) make a HUGE difference in the way your car handles. It will be much more predictable and the tires will stay in better contact with the road which means better traction.

I would look at this as a blessing. Now you have an excuse to buy a good set of Tokikos and make an improvement to your car. They aren't cheap (especially if you go for the adjustable versions), but you will be really happy with them. Later, if you decide to lower your car or add stiffer springs, you'll already have the upgraded shocks to match them.

Back