I need advise

superdude

I have a P5 and I lowered the car with H&R spirngs it is lowered 1.5 inch. Today I am getting my wheels thet are 17/7 offset 40 and the tires i am puting on are 205/40/17. My question is do you think It will rub or is it going to be ok. Please help me need to know right away :confused:

superdude said:
I have a P5 and I lowered the car with H&R spirngs it is lowered 1.5 inch. Today I am getting my wheels thet are 17/7 offset 40 and the tires i am puting on are 205/40/17. My question is do you think It will rub or is it going to be ok. Please help me need to know right away :confused:

YES, they will most likely rub.....with a 7" wheel you should have a +45 to a +48 offset.

so be prepared.

I have to figure out the offset in my wheels but they are 18x7.5 and they used to rub. (I removed the rear fender well trim)

Man.....I am so confused .....I am a car dumbie......
You guys all talk about those OFFSET..blah blah blah..and those numbers of tire....For example 205/40/17 ??? what does that mean ?? This is some confusing stuff.......
So in the future if I just want to get a set of 17" rims....but not lowering my car...will it be fine ??

WhiteZoomZoom said:
Man.....I am so confused .....I am a car dumbie......
You guys all talk about those OFFSET..blah blah blah..and those numbers of tire....For example 205/40/17 ??? what does that mean ?? This is some confusing stuff.......
So in the future if I just want to get a set of 17" rims....but not lowering my car...will it be fine ??

yes you can get 17inch rims/wheels and it will be fine IF the offset is proper, the offset really has nothing to do specifically with lowering or not.

tire sizes....205/40/17......

205 is the tread width in Millimeters
40 is the profile or sidewall height in % of tread width. thus the side wall is only 40% as tall as the tread width is wide.
17.....the diameter in inches of the wheel that this tire mounts on.

if the offset you get on a specific wheel is not correct...then the wheel will either be sticking out of your wheelwell OR it can be tucked inside it to far and rub on the inner side of the fenderwells or on the fender wells when you turn it one way or the other. In other words...by having the correct offset for a specific wheel size it PROPERLY centers or places the wheel in the wheel well so it will not have any interfeerence.

Also remember that if you have the correct offset, tiresize etc. Dont forget that if you order online especially, that our Bolt Pattern for the Protege5 is 5x114 .

I got this info from TireRack Representative by the way. So if you dont believe me just ask www.tirerack.com.

superdude said:
What exactly did you do to get rid of the rubing and how much did it cost you :confused:

first of all, only the rear used to rub. if you go to your P5 and touch the rear fenderwell you will see what rubs against the tire.
It's like an L shape. I took my P5 to a body shop and they removed this L and made it Flat so it won't rub anymore. They also put some antirust compund so it won't get rusty. The cost was like $35 bucks for both sides...

Latest posts

Back