I need a new dsl modem

Roywhitep5

:
2007 350z
i know absolutely nothing about modem/routers, so any sugestions? i just want 4 bars when i play call of duty.

who you get service from??? is it the modem(usually the providers problem) or a router?

yahoo sbc dsl is the provider and my modem is over 5 years old. id imagine modem technology has progressed quite a bit since then

uhmm.....yeah....contact....hell if ya ya wanna combine some stuff check on att uverse....i think it's awesome and i get constant speeds.....i have 6meg/s dl and like 1meg/up or close to it...i have had zero problems from switching over from cable...and actually less with xbox live....i haven't laged out once due to my conection

it's tv and internet combined from att....it's dsl based....cheaper than the local cable service here and the connection(internet) speeds are so much better.

you know how you were talking about bars playing cod.....well when we still had reg cable service(tv and internet) i used to lag out(dropped connection) playing GRAW(ghost recon advanced warfighter) all the damn time, so freaking annoying. well with att uverse i have had zero issues....

just check it out you might like it....just goto att website and click on uverse and check it out

when my parent's DSL modem died a year or two ago i just stopped by compusa to pick one up. selection was, let's say, very limited. i think there were maybe 2 options. i picked up a combo modem/router and it works. my recommendation is to call up your service provider and see what they can do for you. if you're planning to keep DSL anyways they might have a deal where you get a free modem if you sign up for a year or whatever. hell they might even have better pricing options for you. so i guess my recommendation is:
step 1) call yahoo/sbc/whatever they're called now and see if they can help you out
step 2) if step 1 fails, just look on newegg for one that fits within your price range

yahoo sbc dsl is the provider and my modem is over 5 years old. id imagine modem technology has progressed quite a bit since then

Well... yes and no.

Yes, technology advances continously, so a newer dsl/cable modem might be quicker by virtue of a more powerful circuits, more efficient or easier to manage and configure, especially if you use wireless.

But, if there is something regarding computers that has stayed fairly constant, that is networking. Shure, there have been fairly big jumps from time to time, but if you're already using DSL, you're doing ok. Most older modems can go up to 4 or 8 Mb/s, even if you were being sold only a .512 Mb/s contract.

I'm not saying you shouln't buy one, I'd recommend to ask your service provider what upgrade/replacement equipment they offer, but getting a new modem might not help as much as you think. Making shure your phone line is properly installed and has no line noise would be a good step; if it does have some noise and you eliminate it you'll probably get a nice jump in performance.

Lastly a lot of games' "network speed" bars measure latency. Latency in networking is the delay that a piece of information suffers because of making it's way (jumping) from one network to another to its final destination. Without going into a lot of technobabble, latency is influenced by your internet providers network design, and you can't really do anything about it, unless you switch providers and hope they are better.

I hope I didn't make things confusing. Cheers!

+1 on AT&T U-Verse...we switched over about a month ago from Comcast...the difference is quite noticeable! We're really pleased....

Back