I Hate My Auto

The P5 should only be bought in manual form. This car was a major downgrade in speed from my miata already...in auto form...ewww.

BUT, congrats on a nice car. If that girl hated on you for having an auto, she might be a keeper. Go get her number.

+1000

As much as we'd all like to believe this chick was 'disgusted' with the idea of a P5 having an A/T... I'm willing to bet she was either turned off by something else (or that it might have all just been in your imagination) You're clearly not fond of the transmission... so your perception of people's reaction to your car might be skewed because of it.

Regardless of that, the idea that this car was too good of a deal to pass up is somewhat hard to believe. Give us the details of the car and we'll be the judge. All things being equal, a stick shift is going to sell for far less. A) it's less expensive to make and B) (most importantly) less and less people know how to drive one. Granted, this logic doesn't always hold true on every car. I'd like to believe it's the opposite on a performance car but then again... with the amount of toolboxes I see driving automatic Vettes... ya never know. Either way, you should've looked harder for a manual. Hopefully you were kidding about a tranny swap since that contradicts the idea that you're on a budget. To a lesser extent, so does virtually any mod (including those coilovers.) Why put money into a car you admit to not liking? Instead, you should try to sell it. If it was as good of a deal as you say, you might not lose any money. Hell, you might even make some! Without doing any searching... I can guarantee you there's a car out there that fits your needs (and budget) better than your current ride. The state of the economy these days equates to arguably the best time in history to be in the market for a car. Assuming they can afford it, nobody (in the market) should settle for anything less than what they want.

dont put any money into this car.

sell it and get a manual of something else. its not worth the work and money.

I think most people who opt out of getting a manual for an auto is because they cant drive stick. Im sure there are other reasons, but considering a manual transmission car is ALWAYS cheaper than its auto counterpart, i have a feeling he doesnt know how to drive stick.

my first car was a manual and i lived in WV.....never really operated one unless you count playing around on 4wheelers growing up.......the day i got the tags and reg done for the truck i went out for about 3 hours just driving around, never stalled, drifted back or anything.....that's how i learned. and to this day you can put me on the steepest inclines and i won't stall or drift back any, but everynow and then if my mind wonders i'll stall on completly flat ground, and i've been driving a stick for over 10 years....

edit: i will say find if you don't know how to drive a stick find someone with a truck that's manual....much easier to learn on, much more forgiving.....on my s10 i could go through 3 gears with out giving any gas

As much as we'd all like to believe this chick was 'disgusted' with the idea of a P5 having an A/T... I'm willing to bet she was either turned off by something else (or that it might have all just been in your imagination) You're clearly not fond of the transmission... so your perception of people's reaction to your car might be skewed because of it.

Regardless of that, the idea that this car was too good of a deal to pass up is somewhat hard to believe. Give us the details of the car and we'll be the judge. All things being equal, a stick shift is going to sell for far less. A) it's less expensive to make and B) (most importantly) less and less people know how to drive one. Granted, this logic doesn't always hold true on every car. I'd like to believe it's the opposite on a performance car but then again... with the amount of toolboxes I see driving automatic Vettes... ya never know. Either way, you should've looked harder for a manual. Hopefully you were kidding about a tranny swap since that contradicts the idea that you're on a budget. To a lesser extent, so does virtually any mod (including those coilovers.) Why put money into a car you admit to not liking? Instead, you should try to sell it. If it was as good of a deal as you say, you might not lose any money. Hell, you might even make some! Without doing any searching... I can guarantee you there's a car out there that fits your needs (and budget) better than your current ride. The state of the economy these days equates to arguably the best time in history to be in the market for a car. Assuming they can afford it, nobody (in the market) should settle for anything less than what they want.

I run a dealership, as the GSM, and the standard action for any of my business associates with Mazda franchises is to wholesale any traded in P5 manual and keep the automatic. The manuals are harder to sell for similar money and they tend to make the profit margin quite skinny.

Our average dealer cost to purchase a P5 with under 100k, in 5 speed form, is 4000. Hence where my car came from.

Just my 02 cents. But the quoted guy is right, its cheaper to find a stick.

I think most people who opt out of getting a manual for an auto is because they cant drive stick. Im sure there are other reasons, but considering a manual transmission car is ALWAYS cheaper than its auto counterpart, i have a feeling he doesnt know how to drive stick.

yes i do know how to drive stick.
i drive my friend's gsr around when we hang out. VTEC POWER
ahah but yes i do know

Its a good thing we don't pay you to think....(screwy) j/p I decided to get my last p5 as a auto due to down town traffic... nothing like turning a 18mile drive into a 1.5hr drive into work every day. Then the fuckers put me on night shift... 3 years later I have yet to work another day shift. lol oh well I'm back in a stick again!

Its a good thing we don't pay you to think....(screwy) j/p I decided to get my last p5 as a auto due to down town traffic... nothing like turning a 18mile drive into a 1.5hr drive into work every day. Then the fuckers put me on night shift... 3 years later I have yet to work another day shift. lol oh well I'm back in a stick again!

its why i said most and not all. i realize people have certain commutes, or physical issues that prevent them from driving stick. What i dont get is people who get an auto, and than complain about getting an auto.

Very true. I did have some very interesting people who decided the way to negotiate on the price of my Miata was to say that they didn't want a manual transmission. I just laughed and locked the car up.

I like my auto. I know that manuals give better performance but in our cars it ain't much (stock). Plus I am driving early in the morning and I don't think its a good idea for me to mess with shifting.

my mp5 is an auto because in my younger years I decided to be a skateboarder and screwed up my knees and a standard kills me on long trips or in traffic so I like my auto

Widgit check out this forum thread: CupCakeMeet3
huge car meet on may 30th which is a saturday.
just check the forum and then add yourself to the list if you want to go :D it'll be cool, since most of those guys came last time.

Back