Hyundai-Kia displaces Nissan as number six automaker in U.S.

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
Hyundai-Kia has been on a roll as of late posting sales gains during the months of January and February while other automakers were on the backslide and it looks as though those positive numbers have finally added up for the South Korean automaker.

Despite a 14 percent sales dip during the month or April, Hyundai-Kia managed to displace Nissan as the number six automaker in the United State. Last month Hyundai-Kia tallied 58,558 sales, compared to 47,190.
On the whole, April sales fell 34 percent compared to the same period last year, with <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_4_0">Nissan</nobr> seeing a larger-than-expected 38 percent drop-off. Hyundai-Kia currently owns a 7.4 percent share of the U.S. market the largest in company history.
Hyundai-Kias newfound success is undoubtedly linked to its new focus on quality vehicles. The Genesis Sedan has received wide-spread praise from the motoring press and the Genesis Coupe has seen strong initial sales. The all-new Kia Soul is also off to a good start, thanks in part to a sub-$14,000 sticker price.

Still don't like any of their models, but good for them.

They have the moolah to do it, and they have to take advantage of it on this market carpocalypse...

Still don't like any of their models, but good for them.

They have the moolah to do it, and they have to take advantage of it on this market carpocalypse...

how can you not like the genesis coupe? looks amazing handles well and is cheaper than anything in it's class.

These figures are a little misleading. In Canada their sales are way up, but its because of heavy factory rebates combined with 0% financing. So yes, their sales are up, but they aren't making any money. They are giving the cars away, which is how the big 3 got into financial trouble. Big sales, no profit.

how can you not like the genesis coupe? looks amazing handles well and is cheaper than anything in it's class.

Don't like the way it looks at all, performance is ok, cheaper because it is cheap. Interior and fit-n-finish is a step down from its competitiors.

Don't like the way it looks at all, performance is ok, cheaper because it is cheap. Interior and fit-n-finish is a step down from its competitiors.

ding ding ding. It'll take a looonnnngggggg time for them to change the way their brand is percieved. imo, always been junk, always will be. and the soul is HIDEOUS!

The genesis coupe seems promising on paper... but I'll have to wait till I see it in person to pass judgement because from the pics I don't like the front end at all

As you can see for what I'm driving things like RWD, tons of power is not on the top of my list anymore :D. As per my current needs I'm more into clever design, decent looks, decent platform (Mazda3), versatility, MT and handling. From that list, to me, the Genesis has only the handling part (dunno)

These figures are a little misleading. In Canada their sales are way up, but its because of heavy factory rebates combined with 0% financing. So yes, their sales are up, but they aren't making any money. They are giving the cars away, which is how the big 3 got into financial trouble. Big sales, no profit.

Maybe similar approach for Canada as well? Here is for the US, Hyundai/KIA use of fleet sales:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/13/hyundai-and-kia-use-fleet-sales-to-boost-numbers/

ding ding ding. It'll take a looonnnngggggg time for them to change the way their brand is percieved. imo, always been junk, always will be. and the soul is HIDEOUS!
Rest assured that the irony is not lost on us.

Back