Hypertech Max Energy Sport CAI Update Now Available!

I would love to know myself. I've even considered sending Chris a PM to learn this. I can't think of any other source who would have tested near every intake available for the ms3. Surely there are differences. Come on Chris - which one would did you leave on your car after testing them all?

Ok, ok, I'll answer! We put the stock air box back on it so we could sell the car.

As far as HP gains, there's not much difference between them. We never actually did a back to back to back test. We were tuning them as we went, and there were too many variances between dyno runs to acurately compare numbers, but they were all within 5 to 10 HP, once they were calibrated correctly.

There were definitley some differences in fit, appearance, and price. In my opinion, those factors would weigh in more than the performance difference that you'll see.

Does this Hypertech unit have the same ability to permanently override the emissions CEL codes as the COBB Acessport? Does it have sensor monitor capabilities?

The Sport programmer will turn off the CEL, but it won't permanetely override any DTC. It is illegal to sell a product for street use that overrides any emission device. Since all of our products are advertised and sold as being street legal, we don't offer this feature.

Chris

Good questions!

We can always add features to the programmer. The main reason for not adding those that you mentioned are for emission and warranty reasons. Since we submit all of our products for CARB EO testing, we can't offer any options that could possibly allow adjustments outside of the emission limits. Also, options like flat footed shifting are cool, but we don't want someone tearing up a clutch or transmission on their vehicle, with a feature that we offer. We advertise our products to be safe for use on a stock vehicle, and since we don't know the effects of using a feature like this on the stock drivetrain, we stay away from them.

Our tuning will allow the ECU to correct for changes in boosted air tempereature, but we still maintain the safety mechanisms built into the factory tune. Not all of the aftermarket tunes for the Mazdaspeeds do this, which is why they have those adjustments.

As far as fuel trims, they can vary based on many factors, such as altitude, barometric pressure, load, etc. The stock ECU corrects the fueling based on the amount of air flow into the engine. LTFT's can vary with the stock tuning, based on these factors. As long as the MAF calculations are corrected when using an aftermarket air intake, the ECU will adjust the spark and fueling appropriately for the best, safe power we have already tuned for.

Chris

Perhaps there may be a way around it ..... if there are enough people (do a poll) and see what added features you are able to do (like RPM increase etc..) and for those that want it you can email the update to them after they pay a certain fee,
something like a 1 time update for what they paid for so that the masses cannot get it for free or perhaps send in unit so Hypertech can upload the specific program themselves etc...
Or to future buyers before Hypertech sends it out, they can pay more for specific extra programs.
Im sure there can be a way to give a specific upload program to only 1 person/programmer. Im not tech/comp savvy enough to know how...

Just throwing it out there to bump sales for what sounds like a good product that can be made great!?

Thanks

Ok, ok, I'll answer! We put the stock air box back on it so we could sell the car.

As far as HP gains, there's not much difference between them. We never actually did a back to back to back test. We were tuning them as we went, and there were too many variances between dyno runs to acurately compare numbers, but they were all within 5 to 10 HP, once they were calibrated correctly.

There were definitley some differences in fit, appearance, and price. In my opinion, those factors would weigh in more than the performance difference that you'll see.

i guess we'll never know for sure... the cai v. sri debate and brand x v. brand y will rage on to infinity and beyond. Thanks any way Chris. You're probably right. The 5-10 hp range would be hard to feel, but when you buy, install and view your intake is when you will see the real differences.

Question Chris @ HyperTech.

Will the hypertech app be able to control the cooling fans - so we can lower the turn on of the fans?

One question, Chris;
I use my MS3 as an instructor car at HPDEs. I know that track driving puts additional stress on the powertrain and I accept the possibility that something expensive can break. That said, will a Hypertech tune significantly increase the risk of engine failure at track events? And many thanks for all the information that you are providing on this forum!

Perhaps there may be a way around it ..... if there are enough people (do a poll) and see what added features you are able to do (like RPM increase etc..) and for those that want it you can email the update to them after they pay a certain fee,
something like a 1 time update for what they paid for so that the masses cannot get it for free or perhaps send in unit so Hypertech can upload the specific program themselves etc...
Or to future buyers before Hypertech sends it out, they can pay more for specific extra programs.
Im sure there can be a way to give a specific upload program to only 1 person/programmer. Im not tech/comp savvy enough to know how...

Just throwing it out there to bump sales for what sounds like a good product that can be made great!?

Thanks

That is a great suggestion, and something that we can do, from a technical standpoint. We have discussed these, and other options, for future product offerings. At this time, we're working hard to add vehicle support to our Sport product line, so it would be a while before we could go back and look at these features, but we will definitely consider them.

Chris

That is a great suggestion, and something that we can do, from a technical standpoint. We have discussed these, and other options, for future product offerings. At this time, we're working hard to add vehicle support to our Sport product line, so it would be a while before we could go back and look at these features, but we will definitely consider them.

Chris

Understandable to add more vehicle support. Im definitely going to get a HT, just a matter of when, i live in Canada and no deals up here and customs/taxes add more to the cost. Unless i one day take a road trip to the states.
Hopefully by the time i get one, program options will be available.(im looking at next year for my birthday present regardless(April)

So keep us in mind Chris!

Thanks

Chris
Please please do this. Being able to increase idle RPM would help the crappy PCV system do its job. Also lowering the temperature at which the rad fans come on when the car is not moving would be cool. I believe the fans come on at 220* F when the vehicle speed is 0mph. These features shouldn't affect emissions.

Please please do this. Being able to increase idle RPM would help the crappy PCV system do its job. Also lowering the temperature at which the rad fans come on when the car is not moving would be cool. I believe the fans come on at 220* F when the vehicle speed is 0mph. These features shouldn't affect emissions.

Ya, I was going to say the same thing about the RPMS adjustment.

I understand, Chris, what you are saying about emission standards...I get it. It's just ironic that being able to adjust RPM's would fix the smoking problem that Mazda says doesn't exist for some mildly to heavily bolted cars, thus reducing smoke! 900 RPMS..wink, wink (upyours)

We currently offer the ability to adjust cooling fan on/off temps for other vehicles; Mustang, Camaro, JK Jeep, etc. We didn't spend enough time on the Mazdas to incorporate this feature, but now that we know you all want it, we certainly can do it!

Chris

Ya, I was going to say the same thing about the RPMS adjustment.

I understand, Chris, what you are saying about emission standards...I get it. It's just ironic that being able to adjust RPM's would fix the smoking problem that Mazda says doesn't exist for some mildly to heavily bolted cars, thus reducing smoke! 900 RPMS..wink, wink (upyours)

Hmm, so a retrospective analysis would show fewer smoking turbos in hot areas where the AC is keeping the car in high idle all the time ?

Hmm, so a retrospective analysis would show fewer smoking turbos in hot areas where the AC is keeping the car in high idle all the time ?

Hmmm..I don't beleive the RPM at idle with AC on is defaulted to 900 or higher so the AC probably wouldn't help...

When I sold my AP, I uninstalled my ATR and now I can't reinstall it to confirm!! (pissed)

Good questions!

We can always add features to the programmer. The main reason for not adding those that you mentioned are for emission and warranty reasons. Since we submit all of our products for CARB EO testing, we can't offer any options that could possibly allow adjustments outside of the emission limits. Also, options like flat footed shifting are cool, but we don't want someone tearing up a clutch or transmission on their vehicle, with a feature that we offer. We advertise our products to be safe for use on a stock vehicle, and since we don't know the effects of using a feature like this on the stock drivetrain, we stay away from them.

Our tuning will allow the ECU to correct for changes in boosted air tempereature, but we still maintain the safety mechanisms built into the factory tune. Not all of the aftermarket tunes for the Mazdaspeeds do this, which is why they have those adjustments.

As far as fuel trims, they can vary based on many factors, such as altitude, barometric pressure, load, etc. The stock ECU corrects the fueling based on the amount of air flow into the engine. LTFT's can vary with the stock tuning, based on these factors. As long as the MAF calculations are corrected when using an aftermarket air intake, the ECU will adjust the spark and fueling appropriately for the best, safe power we have already tuned for.

Chris

Just wanted to say thanks for answering Chris! (yippy)

I bet you all have seen a jump in MS3/6 sales in the last 3 months...

One question, Chris;
I use my MS3 as an instructor car at HPDEs. I know that track driving puts additional stress on the powertrain and I accept the possibility that something expensive can break. That said, will a Hypertech tune significantly increase the risk of engine failure at track events? And many thanks for all the information that you are providing on this forum!

Thanks for your questions!!

Our tune was specifically tested and tuned to maintain optimal efficiency of the engine and turbocharger even while providing more power output. In short, we made the best power possible without pushing the engine or turbocharger beyond what either is capable.

That being said, the power increase in the higher RPMs is quite substantial after the stock horsepower peak around 5500RPM. I do worry that this substantial increase in power between 5500RPM and redline would cause some issues under certain conditions. With a stock tune, you would probably shift just after 5500RPM when power dramatically falls off, but with the Hypertech tune its likely that you would maintain the higher RPMs longer, and at higher horsepower levels. I believe the engine and turbocharger would be fine here, but I do worry that the coolant system and catalytic converter could be in danger of overheating if these high powered, high RPMs are maintained for extended periods, especially in the summer heat. Throw on a short ram air intake with the filter in the engine bay, and I suspect the hot intake air would add to the increased heat in the coolant and exhaust systems.

For most people and driving conditions I wouldnt worry about this at all, but this is a very extreme condition and Im imagining the worst case possible. If the course was pushing you to drive at these higher RPMs quite a bit I would probably lower the rev limiter 500RPM and use that as a way to lower my shift points. Because the Hypertech tune has such a broad power curve, and tons of low RPM torque, this strategy should not hinder the performance of the car noticeably.

All of the protection strategies that the factory tune uses are still in place. The Hypertech tune accurately models the engine power output which allows the ECU to precisely implement the protection strategies to prevent overboosting, overloading, and overheating the engine and catalyst. Even though these systems are in place to protect the powertrain, it is always much easier to prevent a problem than to stop one that is already occurring. We put a lot of time and effort into developing and testing this tune to ensure that it is not out of control, but prevention is still the best option.

Chris

Chris,

I am impressed at the customer feedback and the pure knowledge that you and your company have with this platform. Thanks for being such a help to everyone and creating a product that anyone can use safely. I will most definitely be buying one of these because of the power increase, R & D, and the fact that you and your company are great guys that are out to make things work to its full potential. Every time I have PM'ed you about anything I have gotten a long in-depth response which I have truly enjoyed reading. Other companies need to see the kind of hardworking dedicated people that you are and learn from it, its obvious customers come first!

Thanks,
-Brett-

Chris,
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I really appreciate your honesty and willingness to help. I will be going the Hypertech route- no question about it!!!

Just wanted to say thanks for answering Chris! (yippy)

I bet you all have seen a jump in MS3/6 sales in the last 3 months...

Chris,

I am impressed at the customer feedback and the pure knowledge that you and your company have with this platform. Thanks for being such a help to everyone and creating a product that anyone can use safely. I will most definitely be buying one of these because of the power increase, R & D, and the fact that you and your company are great guys that are out to make things work to its full potential. Every time I have PM'ed you about anything I have gotten a long in-depth response which I have truly enjoyed reading. Other companies need to see the kind of hardworking dedicated people that you are and learn from it, its obvious customers come first!

Thanks,
-Brett-

Thanks Brett. We're not perfect, nor do we know everything, but we work hard, and we love what we do! We have an awesome group of people who work behind the scenes that deserve all the credit.

Back