HVAC blower fan squeaking

:
Mazda3 Grand Touring 5-Door
Wondering if anyone has experienced any squeaking/squealing from the HVAC fan in the Mazda2. Today, out of nowhere, the fan started making some squeaking (like a bad bearing) and I tried messing with the fan speed to see if I could get the noise to go away, to no avail. I pulled out the cabin filters and blasted the fan which dislodged some small dried leaf bits but the noise remained. I could actually visibly see the fan motor (removed glove box, set damper to re-circulate which opens re-circ return and blower fan is visible with a flashlight) and the motor itself looks fine. Made an appointment with a dealership but sucks because I know they are going to have to rip the dash open to get to the blower motor.

Just got back from the dealership. They checked it out and said that it was debris, so something positioned just right to be rubbing up against the fan and causing a clicking when running and a squeak when shutting off. They said that they could take everything apart but it would be a multi-hour job. I told them I'd mess with it and really cranked the fan speed and switched the recirculation mode on and off a bunch of times and I think I finally got the majority of it. Basically the noise is gone. Just relieved that it wasn't the fan/blower itself.

Back