HVAC blower fan sqeaking

:
Mazda3 Grand Touring 5-Door
Wondering if anyone has experienced any squeaking/squealing from the HVAC fan in the Mazda2. Today, out of nowhere, the fan started making some squeaking (like a bad bearing) and I tried messing with the fan speed to see if I could get the noise to go away, to no avail. I pulled out the cabin filters and blasted the fan which dislodged some small dried leaf bits but the noise remained. I could actually visibly see the fan motor (removed glove box, set damper to re-circulate which opens re-circ return and blower fan is visible with a flashlight) and the motor itself looks fine. Made an appointment with a dealership but sucks because I know they are going to have to rip the dash open to get to the blower motor.

*update* Just got back from the dealership. They checked it out and said that it was debris, so something positioned just right to be rubbing up against the fan and causing a clicking when running and a squeak when shutting off. They said that they could take everything apart but it would be a multi-hour job. I told them I'd mess with it and really cranked the fan speed and switched the recirculation mode on and off a bunch of times and I think I finally got the majority of it. Basically the noise is gone. Just relieved that it wasn't the fan/blower itself.

Last edited:
The cabin filter didn't catch it before it gotto the fan?????

Make sure you don't have mice getting into the car and bringing in nesting material. They make a mess fast.

I worked on a Versa where they had literally packed the fan solid with insulation material. I pulled the fan and sucked the rest out with a small shop vac.

John

MANICompression,

Here in the UK I have a similar problem with my Mazda 2 / Demio 2009. I am getting a squeaking / scratching noise that could be leaves or I wonder if its the fan blades catching something. The main dealer quoted me 100 for a new blower fan and 200 labour. I have replaced the cabin/pollen filters x 2 and got a few leaves out and I will try and use a hoover to suck, and garage air hose to blow, to try and get any debris that is between the air inlets (plastic mesh, engine side of bulkhead, under the hood by the wipers) and the cabin-pollen filters.

I cannot understand how debris could get past the cabin filters but who knows. The added difficulty is that it is impossible, AFAIK, to get a proper workshop manual for the 2007+ Mazda 2.

Even if its not the blower motor that is faulty the dealer would still charge me 200 labour, I suspect.

I attach a diagram and a photograph:

IMG_0546.jpg
[/IMG]

img169.jpg

May I ask: where is the fan. I cannot see it. Any chance you could give me a steer by looking at the attachments ?

near to teh in teh leaf tray unedr the hood) tga200 albout and 100 for a

Back