Huge Discount For 2017 Mazda 6

Transmissions maybe? FAIL.. CVTs are hilariously bad. 10 gears? Also hard pass thanks

Last edited:
Honda offers a 10 speed AND a manual in the new Accord, Toyota offers an 8 speed, so yes transmissions included. Mazda still uses that old 6 speed from 5 years ago.

The Mazda 6 can be had with a manual, in case you forgot.
That ten speed transmission is a lost cause, if you have read any of the reviews.
Drive the Accord with any enthusiasm, and that ten speed can't make up it's mind what gear it wants to be in. Very unnerving.
You also conveniently forgot to mention those godawful CVT's. Worst invention since the square wheel.
I'm glad they only come in Honda's and Toyota's. I'll take the Mazda 6 speed over those ill conceived CVT's any day, thankyou.

In Hondas defense you can still get the accord with a manual which was good to see and would be my choice..much rather have an awd 2.5t 6 manual or auto. Pretty sure this wouldn't require much investment at all and with a slightly hotter tune could easily serve as their halo sport sedan and legit is/3/a4 option- again at or close to 5 figures less with all the bells.

Last edited:
From my point of view I like the Mazda auto because it keeps the converter locked more resulting in a more direct feel like a manual or DCT. I think this arms race of gear ratios is a bit silly as it’s just spending too much time shifting vs actually connected. The exception in my opinion is trucks where lower gears are only used when loaded or towing.

In Hondas defense you can still get the accord with a manual which was good to see and would be my choice..much rather have an awd 2.5t 6 manual or auto. Pretty sure this wouldn't require much investment at all and with a slightly hotter tune could easily serve as their halo sport sedan and legit is/3/a4 option- again at or close to 5 figures less with all the bells.

Why do you think I said "maybe". I want the manual,you can keep the CVT garbage,forever...

If the choice is between a CVT and a "5 year old 6 speed", I'll leave the garbage CVT out and take the 6 speed, no hesitation.

And agree with Buzzman on 10 speed. What's the point if it can't even make up it's mind what gear it wants to be in.

No thanks.

Edit: Sure it's 5 years old, but if those are the other options (and they are garbage options), then I don't see the problem with the 6 speed. Who gaf if it's 5 years old? It works great.

Last edited:
Mazdas 6 speed is really well tuned and the torque converter/lockup is well designed. That’s a great automatic, but I think mazda should make it a 7 speed.

For 7+ speed automatic transmissions, the standard for me is BMW’s ZF 8 speed. Excellent transmission.... always in the right gear, responsive, smooth, quick, imperpetually switches between smooth shifting or aggressive snappy shifts.

Totally agree,minus transmissions (maybe)

The reason for the 6 is not the USA but China, where it and the Mazda 3 still sell well. I think if Mazda could get Maxima like sales form a 6 in the USA, they would be happy.

The

In cars do we really need more than 7 or 8 gears though? I say no we do not.

I agree, more then 8 is not necessary. I like how the extra ratios make it easier to choose a specific gear for whatever driving situation you are in. It helps with efficiency a lot while making the car peppier.

Basically, if you have an engine which makes a lot of low end torque, you would be able to tune an 8 speed transmission optimally to make full use of all the torque. Otherwise, a 6 speed is sufficient.

The Mazda 6 can be had with a manual, in case you forgot.
That ten speed transmission is a lost cause, if you have read any of the reviews.
Drive the Accord with any enthusiasm, and that ten speed can't make up it's mind what gear it wants to be in. Very unnerving.
You also conveniently forgot to mention those godawful CVT's. Worst invention since the square wheel.
I'm glad they only come in Honda's and Toyota's. I'll take the Mazda 6 speed over those ill conceived CVT's any day, thankyou.

You mean these reviews?

MotorTrend:

Most editors who drove the CVT proclaimed it among the best and most responsive in the business. It delivers reassuring gear changes during wide-open throttle (or in the transmissions S mode), but it maximizes acceleration efficiency by holding whatever ratio is optimal in all other situations. Shift paddles can preselect an optimal ratio in anticipation of a passing maneuver or contribute engine braking on a downhill grade. Features editor Christian Seabaugh bestowed perhaps the highest praise a CVT can receive: It stays out of the wayI dont even notice it. The 10-speed was similarly lauded for its smoothness and decisiveness, as road test editor Chris Walton noted: Never feels too busy with errant shifts, nor too lazy to respond.

KBB:

The new 10-speed transmission had already impressed us in the new 2018 Honda Odyssey, and again helped deliver a more effortless sense of motivation thanks to smooth shifts and more gears. Pulling away from a stop, the Honda Accord delivers perfectly portioned acceleration that fades seamlessly into cruising speed. The transmission took an extra beat to kick down into a lower gear in highway passing situations, and we noted mild shudders in some stop-and-go situations, but overall this is an impressive transmission.

Autoblog:

The 1.5T comes paired with one of the best CVTs around. It doesn't have the loose, band-like power delivery of other CVTs. The 2.0T cars come with an all-new 10-speed automatic that's light-years better than the old six-speed automatic in the old model or the nine-speed auto in some other Hondas and Acuras. It acts like a short-ratio six-speed with four long overdrive gears. It doesn't feel busy or confused like some other transmissions with similar gear counts. Mostly, it's forgettable in a good way.

I love our Mazda, but to be honest, like many, the CVT is a “compromise” many accept.

It’s all subjective, and I don’t get why people are so personally invested in these vehicles’ standing in the market. If it makes you happy who cares what others think.?!

So what you're saying is people don't like CVT's therefore they have to mimic regular auto transmission gear shifts? Ok....

You mean these reviews?

MotorTrend:

KBB:

Autoblog:

Your Honda high-horse is starting to get on peoples nerves. Dont get me wrong, I just bought a beater 2001 accord coupe manual with 90k miles on the motor, fixed it up and this car is lovely. The seating position is better then in the Mazda, the car rides well mannered but the chassis is excellent and plenty capable going around rather fast corners. The accord may not be as sporty or as nimble, but its still a great car so dont get me wrong, because if my dad was shopping for a 6 speed manual sedan at the time he bought his Mazda, he wouldve ended up with a 2015 accord manual over the Mazda. But comparing auto to auto, the accord has a pretty good automatic but off the line transmission lag was more noticeable and the engine made less torque at 4000RPM VS 3250RPM in the Mazda. The drivetrain honestly feels lightyears ahead of the Honda and the chassis is a little bit more fun while being equally well mannered, so Mazda sort of stole a sale with their excellent drivetrain and chassis tuning.

The 1.5T is a great motor for a turbo, but I still prefer the extra responsiveness of Mazdas 2.5L paired to a real 6 speed auto, its simply a better drivetrain.

Hondas new 10 speed auto is a great transmission that I am sure of... the new accord looks really good, but mazdas next 6 will be RWD, so no thanks to the otherwise nice Honda.

You dont really get it. I dont like any features or electronics in my car. I want it to be ergonomic, driver focused and fun to drive. I dont give a s*** about any stupid features that you can get in a Kia, because a Hyundai doesnt drive as well as a Mazda. Mazda doesnt sell well because they are still building some sort of brand image because their rust issues and quality was quite bad back then, Ill fully agree that the 2005 Mazda 3 you have is mostly a piece of s*** unless you got a manual transmission but still faster and more power then the civic of its age.. so each car has their own benefits.

Some buyers place the driving experience above all else which is a tiny percentage of the average car buying population which is why Mazda doesnt do as well, especially since they dont have a solid brand image.

Transmissions maybe? FAIL.. CVTs are hilariously bad. 10 gears? Also hard pass thanks

Hi Monterra,
In addition to your comment, I would like to add that before I got the Mazda 3 2014 hatchback for my wife, we considered getting the Subaru Impreza hatchback but reading about the different owner's bad experiences with the CVT's, we decided for the Mazda 3 and very happy with the choice we made.
I got a new car in December 2016 and it was a manual, because the CVT still does not make me happy at all. There is a lot yet to be said about it, and based that CVTs are not repairable, are sealed unit boxes that need to be replaced as a whole unit costing as much as $5-6k is crazy, 15-20% of the price of the vehicle!! Not wonder many companies selling cars with CVT's are extending their warranties to put a cover about the many issues that CVT's has.
The new addition at the house was a CX5 2017 and I am not sure what direction could had take if the CX5 had a CVT.

I agree. CVTs are great for mopeds though. (alright) lol

Also, 10 speed transmission? Did I read that right? We're at 10 now? How bad do we need that extra .5mpg? Badly enough to double the complexity and amount of moving parts in the least reliable part of the entire automobile? 10 is too much for a number of reasons. What are we driving, Peterbuilts?

Looks lovingly at his Mazdaspeed Protege which pulls a g around the curves, has three pedals, 5 speeds, is disconnected completely from all satellites and has no radar or cameras on it anywhere.

I agree. CVTs are great for mopeds though. (alright) lol

Also, 10 speed transmission? Did I read that right? We're at 10 now? How bad do we need that extra .5mpg? Badly enough to double the complexity and amount of moving parts in the least reliable part of the entire automobile? 10 is too much for a number of reasons. What are we driving, Peterbuilts?

Looks lovingly at his Mazdaspeed Protege which pulls a g around the curves, has three pedals, 5 speeds, is disconnected completely from all satellites and has no radar or cameras on it anywhere.

Fully agree. 10 speed seems pointless to me. Quite happy with my 6 speed. Hell my old Jeep had 5 speeds!

At most...maybe 7, but really I have no complaints with 6.

Fully agree. 10 speed seems pointless to me. Quite happy with my 6 speed. Hell my old Jeep had 5 speeds!

At most...maybe 7, but really I have no complaints with 6.

Yup- my X1 has 8- its not a bad tranny but I honestly feel its 1 too many..6 or 7 is where I'm at as well depending on final drive- I'd like it if CX-5 had a 7th for freeway cruise.

Last edited:
Back