HUD / ADD - issue grrr...

:
'17 Mazda CX-9
Heads Up Display or Active Driving Display (Mazdaspeak)

First I like to say I sort of like this feature. It does allow you to keep your eyes focused on the road. It's more of a gimmick on a SUV then a Z06 or sports car but still a nice feature to have. The CX-9 keeps defaulting to the manual setting at night and not auto dimming. My wife has not complained about this but she mainly commutes in daylight hours, I'm usually the driver at night when going out for dinner or longer weekend drives. It requires scrolling though the menus and changing back to auto dim, a minor annoyance but frustrating none the less. Anyone else have this happen? Is a trip to the dealer to reflash required to fix this?

Heads Up Display or Active Driving Display (Mazdaspeak)

First I like to say I sort of like this feature. It does allow you to keep your eyes focused on the road. It's more of a gimmick on a SUV then a Z06 or sports car but still a nice feature to have. The CX-9 keeps defaulting to the manual setting at night and not auto dimming. My wife has not complained about this but she mainly commutes in daylight hours, I'm usually the driver at night when going out for dinner or longer weekend drives. It requires scrolling though the menus and changing back to auto dim, a minor annoyance but frustrating none the less. Anyone else have this happen? Is a trip to the dealer to reflash required to fix this?

When this happens at night do you notice that the infotainment screen is also bright? Because if it is, then that means you need to adjust your instrument cluster dimmer...the way you've described it I think to correct it is to simply turn the small dial on the instrument cluster by a notch to the left...once you turn it to the rightmost position you'll hear a faint beep then everything is at the brightest setting but if you turn it a notch left it disables the manual setting and dims a bit

Thanks will try this weekend.

The dash dimmer switch is also the ridiculously long trip odometer reset stalk (did not know, had to look in manual, kept looking for a dial).

I don't find the HUD a gimmick - super useful. I don't find the same issue, but I keep the lights on auto all the time.

I've seen my HUD brightness adjust; seems to work okay.

I don't find the HUD a gimmick - super useful. I don't find the same issue, but I keep the lights on auto all the time.

I've seen my HUD brightness adjust; seems to work okay.

Same here. One of my favorite features of the CX-9. I rarely look at my gauge cluster anymore, or my side view mirrors for blind spot detection. Its all in the HUD.

Same here - no gimmick - it's very useful. My auto dim works fine. I haven't noticed any issues. The one thing I don't like about these HUDs (this also happens on my wife's 328i) they're hard to use with polarized sunglasses... It's not very useful to me during certain times of the day.

When this happens at night do you notice that the infotainment screen is also bright? Because if it is, then that means you need to adjust your instrument cluster dimmer...the way you've described it I think to correct it is to simply turn the small dial on the instrument cluster by a notch to the left...once you turn it to the rightmost position you'll hear a faint beep then everything is at the brightest setting but if you turn it a notch left it disables the manual setting and dims a bit

Nope, did not work. The HUD still defaults to manual dimmer setting upon start up which is way too bright and distracting for night time operation. It requires scrolling through the menu and selecting 'auto' before driving off. Am I doing something wrong?

Is the setting tied to the seat memory? Are you flipping between 1 and 2 on the seat when you get in?

Also make sure your gauges are set on Auto-dim. That affects HUD as well. The gauge dimmer knob turns to adjust intensity, but is also a push-button to activate auto dimming. Mine auto-dims gauges and HUD just fine. I love the HUD feature!!

Same here. One of my favorite features of the CX-9. I rarely look at my gauge cluster anymore, or my side view mirrors for blind spot detection. Its all in the HUD.

Well done. It is all in the training. (wink) Or, more to the point - how you train yourself to use it.

Ive been noticing that the HUD does go into manual loads by itself and to the brightest setting. We have it on auto, but changes by itself. Same issue as the OP

The gauge cluster dimmer is not linked to it, and neither are the keys or memory seat settings.

Did anyone have any suggestions?

Ive been noticing that the HUD does go into manual loads by itself and to the brightest setting. We have it on auto, but changes by itself. Same issue as the OP

The gauge cluster dimmer is not linked to it, and neither are the keys or memory seat settings.

Did anyone have any suggestions?

Resetting the HUD to AUTO and then reprogramming the seats memory 1 & 2 did the trick for me.

Back