HOW-TO: Rewire fog lights to come on with parking lights

oh HOT DAMN! ever since i did this to the protege, this is EXACTLY what i wanted to do with the wife's mazda5. thank you very much!

well i just read this and assumed you did it to your pro this way...

and no i dont know how to sub without posting i would have done that way if i had...so how do i do it...

edit: just figured it out thanks for letting me know i can do it w/o posting and its for the wrong car

*as i un sub*

Last edited:
Photos please! Very interested in these switchback turn signals.

Here are a few photos taken with my phone the day I did this mod (only the side markers and fogs are on). Might take a video too and post it on youtube or something with a link to here once I receive the smoke LED side markers to complete my LED set up. The turn signal switchback LEDs are white unless the turn signal is activated. Then the white goes off and only amber is blinking. About 2 seconds after the turn signal is deactivated, the bulb goes back to white.

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

this is how the Type 2 switchback LEDs work (I bought them from v-leds.com, but mine are 92 M-SMT, and the ones pictured in the video are 60). As I said earlier, I will try to post a video of mine sometime soon.

Last edited:
By the way, while installing the HIDs into the fog lights, I ran into the same problem as I did in my CX-7 a while back - the bulbs are too long so they're hitting the glare shield. Something had to give, so on my CX-7 install the small guards for the ground wire on the HID broke. This time I decided to avoid that, and removed the glare shields altogether. It looks bright when looking directly at it from a close distance, but it's actually not too bad since the fogs are aimed pretty low. No complaints from other drivers so far...

bring this back from the dead
does anyone know how to add a switch while using the original head light switch for sport

i want to use my aftermarket fog lights with the cars original fog light harness

cause it seems that my add on harness cant support two 35 watt hid ballast

I don't quite understand what you are asking. Do you have a fog light switch currently in your Mazda? Do you want to use the existing fog light harness with aftermarket fog lights, but have an aftermarket fog light switch or do you want to use the OEM fog light switch?

does anyone know how to add a switch while using the original head light switch for sport

i want to use my aftermarket fog lights with the cars original fog light harness

Any report on how well the Switchback LEDs handle the heat-load from the HID headlights? I want to go to Switchbacks but plan on also going to HID and don't want to fry my new turn signals...

not sure what you are worried about. hids dont get as hot as halogen bulbs and use less power.

Any report on how well the Switchback LEDs handle the heat-load from the HID headlights? I want to go to Switchbacks but plan on also going to HID and don't want to fry my new turn signals...

you'll be fine just make sure not to have the leds on when you turn on your car cause it will shorten the life of the led

i've had the same set of switchbacks in my protege for... 5 years? something like that... anyway, i have had no issues with them, and i'm running a 55w kit in the protege. i want to get a set of switchbacks for the mx5, but i need to decide which ones i want.

you'll be fine just make sure not to have the leds on when you turn on your car cause it will shorten the life of the led

i don't know where this idea came from, but it sounds like an urban myth in the making. every bulb in my protege has been swapped with a plug-n-play led bulb, and i haven't had any issue with them in the past 4-5 years.

^^^ Thanks very much for those replies! I was planning on a 55w kit for the low beams, and had cooked some lesser LEDs on my 07. I eventually went with the Sylvania bulbs that are clear but flash amber (old school switchbacks LOL) I will be ordering replacements for damn near every bulb from SuperbrightLEDs come payday

Does the sport have the relay connections in the fuse panel? If so, I would just use the same method I showed but with your own relay/switch. If the harness is there, I'd imagine it's run to the fuse panel.

yeah i just checked today and their is a relay and a fuse along with the whole harness

im going to add a jumper wire to the 86 pin so i can turn them on with the parking lights

Could the 10amp fuse with a corner clipped off be replaced with a plug in "add-a line" kit with an in line 10 amp fuse? I would think you could, and don't really want to solder (because I really suck at it) I used the "add-a-line" when jumpering the fogs in my 08 Honda fit.

Could the 10amp fuse with a corner clipped off be replaced with a plug in "add-a line" kit with an in line 10 amp fuse? I would think you could, and don't really want to solder (because I really suck at it) I used the "add-a-line" when jumpering the fogs in my 08 Honda fit.

Sure. I just never felt good about those things because they spread apart the socket more to accommodate. What I mean is that the metal prongs (female) that receive the blade of the fuse are opened up more. If you undo this, there could potentially be less grabbing power (friction) of said prongs.

I understand what you mean, thanks for that. I won't be removing the jumper once it is done, I'm 100% sure of that. With the HIDs in and the fogs converted to LED their purpose has become truly ornamental. I have much more use for them as marker lights now, then as actual fog lights. As such I want to be able to run them independantly of the headlights, which the jumper does nicely!

Back