How to remove the tail lights?

mckraut

:
MazdaSpeed3 Black Mica GT
First of all, I don't even know if they are covers or an entire housing for the tail lights. I took a look at the car the other day and couldn't figure out how to take the clear plastic covers off of the tail lights. Does anyone know?

Yes, I did some searching and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks guys

You need to access them from inside the hatch. On both sides, there is a "door" that you open up and remove. Take a look inside and you can see...I think 2 bolts. I forget the exact size, I think its 10mm or 12mm. Get a rachet in there and unbolt, be careful not to lose those bolts. Once the bolts are off, there are removable "stands" or lack of better words that must be removed. You pull them towards yourself and from there on out, you push the tail lights outwards, make sure you keep a hand on the taillight from the outside otherwise they will fall and crack (happened to me).

I think thats what you're asking for.

If you're asking about taking the cover off the taillights, I don't think that they can be placed into the over as they will melt, at least that's what I've read from other posts.

Hope this helped you.

Last edited:
taking off the tail lights are easy. like speed3 said just remove the "door". One will be the same one as accessing the jack. get a flash light and you will see the two 10mm bolts. You might need a wrench for the driver side (where the jack is).. the reverse lights can be accessed from the "door" as well. just dont drop the bolts inside the chasis LOL.. DO NOT bake them. My reverse lights melted when I put them in at 250F for 15min.... it might work if you try 200F for 20min....but i still don't recommend it.. good luck

Awesome, thank you both. I did not notice the little door under the trunk light until today.

Heh, no problem. Curious as to why you need to remove your taillights. Swapping them out for something else?

if i recall correctly, there is also a bolt holding them on that can be accessed by taking the bumper off...but i'm not 100%

Heh, no problem. Curious as to why you need to remove your taillights. Swapping them out for something else?

I'm going back to stock but Nightshaded my taillights. Figure it would be easier to swap them with someone than to paint thinner it off. Besides, it's work I did and they look good ;) Let's not see them go to waste. Mckraut and I are meeting up tonight to swap. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. Might try to take mine out now and drive over in the girlfriend's car

Whoops....

mckraut = GT
lestat13 = Sport

well that was fun I guess ;) I grabbed a bottle of paint remover (safe for plastic, yes I checked) from Lowes. Unless someone can meet me in the next day or two, I am spraying them tomorrow. Oh the agony........

lawl, I was thinking about swapping those with you, too, when we were talking about the gauge pod. Didn't think to ask if you had a Sport or GT.

Back