How To KILL Yellow Jackets

sanblaster

:
2009 CWP Mazda Axela Sport & 2006 Nissan 350z
I am helping a buddy of mine in WI kill some yellow jackets and we read stories, and have seen "rules" and such, anoyone have additional suggestions on eliminating them? They reside in a timber wall in the backyard. I am just trying not to get killed. What sprays/poisons should I use or avoid? Let me know, I am thinking of making this into a "how to kill yellow jackets" thread.....

whenever i have wasps or bee's flying around and annoying me i just spray them with some engine cleaner and they die within like 20 minutes lol
im not sure about yellow jackets though

if u put out some coffee grounds and burn them for a few secs with a lighter it'll smoke and that should keep them away, works on wasps and bee's but again im not sure about yellowjackets...dont have to much of those around here

Get one of those long distance wasp killers from Lowes/Home depot. They work great and shoot a long heavy stream so you dont have to be near them and get stung.

brake clean has seems to quell the ones that stung me recently...however being an underground nest i am not positive...its a pain in the ass whenever they build their hive in places you cant easily get to

We are going to avoid this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aY_EKfu4bCo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aY_EKfu4bCo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

brake clean has seems to quell the ones that stung me recently...however being an underground nest i am not positive...its a pain in the ass whenever they build their hive in places you cant easily get to

I am thinking that removine timbers one at a time is not going to end well for us.

Gathering info:

Yellowjacket Elimination
Common Mistakes in Eliminating Yellowjackets, Hornets, Bees

•Trying to kill yellowjackets with a Wasp Freeze rarely works. A wasp freeze is designed to sharp-shoot a stinging pest or their exposed nest. This is fine for visible paper nests under the eaves of your home but a waste of time for nests in the ground or in voids of a structure. A wasp freeze has a quick knock down on most insects but has no residual and will not spread out inside of a void, as will an insecticide dust.
•Spraying a liquid insecticide into a void will not penetrate the large nests of yellowjackets. The insecticide solution will follow the path of least resistance, not blowing out sideways as will a professional dust.
•Many over the counter dusts found in lawn and garden centers are simply too heavy for this job. You need the precise formulation of a professional dust for the job.
•Do not attempt to eliminate an underground colony or one that is in a wall void during daylight hours! You will get a better kill and will have a safer outcome if you wait until dusk. More about this in our yellowjacket elimination section.
The best yellowjacket elimination job starts with locating any possible entry points leading to the nest. This is true of ground nests as well as wall nests. It is best to locate these entrance holes during the afternoon hours. During this time period, the workers are easily seen as they forage for food and return to their home. To create a safer environment for yellowjacket extermination, place a small object close to the entrance hole so that it is easily seen. This is very important, as you will see in the second step of the operation. If you can see entrance holes, go to the next step in yellowjacket elimination. If you are unable to pinpoint the exact location of the colony's entrance, it might be due to grass, weeds, ground cover or landscaping. In this case, it might be necessary to broadcast the general area with a professional liquid insecticide, using your hose end sprayer. A pump type garden sprayer is not suggested for this job. Eliminating yellowjackets, bees in a wall void or other such above ground nest, follow the guidelines in Yellowjacket elimination in voids.
When broadcast treating an area, there are two pesticides that work better than others: Cypermethrin and Talstar. Both of these products are synthetic pyrethrins that are safer to use than Dursban, Diazinon or other harsh products. These two products are also far better in performance. Yellowjackets, wasps and hornets do not like Cypermethrin!
Pour 4 to 8 ounces of Cypermethrin insecticide concentrate into your hose end sprayer. Attach your sprayer to a garden hose. You may now safely spray your pesticide solution over the entire area. Begin with fence lines, flower beds, tall grass or weeds, or any area where you suspect yellowjackets to forage or where possible entrances to their colony could be. If there is not too much flying insect activity, you can broadcast your liquid insecticide during daylight hours. Watch your step! The power of your garden hose sprayer will give you the reach and distance needed to do the job but you should still be on the lookout for yellowjackets and their colony entrance holes. After your Cypermethrin treatment, you may go on to the next step in yellowjacket elimination.

Once a nest or colony entrance has been located and marked, you will be able to apply your pest control products in the correct area. However, do not attempt to eliminate an active yellowjacket nest in the middle of the day. This is very dangerous as it invites multiple stinging workers to your exposed face and skin.
The best time to do this pest control job is at dusk. During this time you will have some visibility but the insects will be settling down for the day. Wasps, bees, hornets, yellowjackets prefer to rest at dark. This gives you two distinct advantages:

•All workers will be in the nest, instead of foraging and gathering food for the colony. This gives you an excellent kill.
•If workers are at rest in the ground, you know where they are and you know that they are not active nor in defense mode. This means a safer work environment for you.

is there only 1 enterance they use? if thats the case can you easily plug it trapping them inside?

if they cant get out they probably wont survive long.

I know there is one, maybe two, entrances, someone did mention trapping them as well evilmonkey. I am sure they will still find a way out. Maybe.

Here are the latest relevant posts from our RCAB thread. I will go back and find the other relevant posts and put them here as well.

i'll bee there at about noon or so.

LOL! Will we be "buzzing" around? And for the last time, they are wasps, damnit!

house flies, same thing.

I heard that they get most mad around noon. No worries though.........I have 2 epipen injections. I guess Carl is left out.

Carl should be there helping us so he can lift the timbers while we spray poison in his vicinity.

Just don't touch my bumblebees. Some of them are getting huge. We did stuff in the yard over the weekend, and these bees look like small birds. Some of them even just drop out of the sky onto the patio. I think they are too big to fly.

Dude.. We are killing everything.

In his vicinty? Or ON him as they attack, LOL!

No way dude. I like them. They are fun to watch.

Well we have to get poison on him, if not, they will sting him.

Bumblebees hate you. Kill them we must.

I may have to don the bee suit tonight to mow the grass by that one wasp nest. I skipped it last time, but the grass is too long to do it again.

So.....dous him with the Permethrin first, then the wasp foam as a barrier, then have him lift the timbers, and we outflank them?

I'm thinking of just throwing carl into the nest as a decoy or something. Then we kill the yellow bees.

But look how cute they are!

39086410.BumbleBeeonPinkCloverMacro1btb1204.jpg

Awwww, that is a cute red x.

Gotta put some meat and mountain dew on him to lure them.

FAIL!

I can't believe we do not have a fail smilie.

we aren't wasting meat, we will use the dew.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aY_EKfu4bCo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aY_EKfu4bCo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yellowjacket Elimination
Common Mistakes in Eliminating Yellowjackets, Hornets, Bees

•Trying to kill yellowjackets with a Wasp Freeze rarely works. A wasp freeze is designed to sharp-shoot a stinging pest or their exposed nest. This is fine for visible paper nests under the eaves of your home but a waste of time for nests in the ground or in voids of a structure. A wasp freeze has a quick knock down on most insects but has no residual and will not spread out inside of a void, as will an insecticide dust.
•Spraying a liquid insecticide into a void will not penetrate the large nests of yellowjackets. The insecticide solution will follow the path of least resistance, not blowing out sideways as will a professional dust.
•Many over the counter dusts found in lawn and garden centers are simply too heavy for this job. You need the precise formulation of a professional dust for the job.
•Do not attempt to eliminate an underground colony or one that is in a wall void during daylight hours! You will get a better kill and will have a safer outcome if you wait until dusk. More about this in our yellowjacket elimination section.
The best yellowjacket elimination job starts with locating any possible entry points leading to the nest. This is true of ground nests as well as wall nests. It is best to locate these entrance holes during the afternoon hours. During this time period, the workers are easily seen as they forage for food and return to their home. To create a safer environment for yellowjacket extermination, place a small object close to the entrance hole so that it is easily seen. This is very important, as you will see in the second step of the operation. If you can see entrance holes, go to the next step in yellowjacket elimination. If you are unable to pinpoint the exact location of the colony's entrance, it might be due to grass, weeds, ground cover or landscaping. In this case, it might be necessary to broadcast the general area with a professional liquid insecticide, using your hose end sprayer. A pump type garden sprayer is not suggested for this job. Eliminating yellowjackets, bees in a wall void or other such above ground nest, follow the guidelines in Yellowjacket elimination in voids.
When broadcast treating an area, there are two pesticides that work better than others: Cypermethrin and Talstar. Both of these products are synthetic pyrethrins that are safer to use than Dursban, Diazinon or other harsh products. These two products are also far better in performance. Yellowjackets, wasps and hornets do not like Cypermethrin!
Pour 4 to 8 ounces of Cypermethrin insecticide concentrate into your hose end sprayer. Attach your sprayer to a garden hose. You may now safely spray your pesticide solution over the entire area. Begin with fence lines, flower beds, tall grass or weeds, or any area where you suspect yellowjackets to forage or where possible entrances to their colony could be. If there is not too much flying insect activity, you can broadcast your liquid insecticide during daylight hours. Watch your step! The power of your garden hose sprayer will give you the reach and distance needed to do the job but you should still be on the lookout for yellowjackets and their colony entrance holes. After your Cypermethrin treatment, you may go on to the next step in yellowjacket elimination.

Once a nest or colony entrance has been located and marked, you will be able to apply your pest control products in the correct area. However, do not attempt to eliminate an active yellowjacket nest in the middle of the day. This is very dangerous as it invites multiple stinging workers to your exposed face and skin.
The best time to do this pest control job is at dusk. During this time you will have some visibility but the insects will be settling down for the day. Wasps, bees, hornets, yellowjackets prefer to rest at dark. This gives you two distinct advantages:

•All workers will be in the nest, instead of foraging and gathering food for the colony. This gives you an excellent kill.
•If workers are at rest in the ground, you know where they are and you know that they are not active nor in defense mode. This means a safer work environment for you.

Yeah, I read that one a few weeks ago. That's where I got the dust idea from. I think you should pay most attention to the areas I bolded.

We will plan our attack around noon and then destroy a few hours later if that. We need to figure out how to expose more of the nest.

We should make a thread on how to kill yellow jackets in the ot forum. Maybe people have used stuff or tried something that really worked. What do you think?

this is absurd.

Sure, try it. Link to the last page of this thread.

What? U want in?

What is absurb is your ass not lifting timbers for us so we can get to their effin base.

No links neccessary. We will just play it by ear. I am thinking maybe we get a few replies if that, lol. People will probably think we are tards.

Probably. Maybe Brian can come to document the hilarity proper with some digital pics/proof of our feat.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4782400#post4782400

It is done. If you need to copy some of your old posts in that thread, then do it E. It will get done and we are going to make a documentary.

Last edited:
One important thing to remember is to not mess with the nest during the day. Wait until at least dusk or early evening. They're not so riled up then.

Anything in the nest and the yellow jackets that belong to it should die off come fall anyway and then the nest can be removed. Is it in a busy area or can they be left alone until the first cold snap?

Latest posts

Back