How-To...Gauge Disassembly

Anyone know where is the best place online to find salvage yards or used Protege Gauge Clusters? I broke my fuel gauge and need a replacement :(

I got you covered. I have an extra P5 cluster sitting on my workbench. The temp gauge is busted, but the fuel needle still works. Interested?

xelderx said:
www.car-part.com will have listings nationwide for salvage yards and it is seachable for specific parts.
I second that! I bought 2 gauges and 12 wheels through salvage yards I found on that site. Their search engine is great, although their site doesn't always work--just keep trying back later until it does. On the gauges, be careful to get the right on (check the VIN with your local dealer to be sure). The auto/5sp and remote keyless or not seemed to be different and may not be interchangeable. also, the background white color changed in 02.5+ on P5s/ES models. good luck!

I know Im reviving a really old thread, but, I just bought a salvaged Protege LX 2002, and The first mod I went to do is put in indiglow guages, I got everyone on fine ecept the temp guage. busted it off, I got a salvage yard to sell me a MSP guage set with white face's.

Will the whole cluster just switch with my old one or will I have to disasemble the whole thing and switch the guages individually?

bump for a simple yes or no

has anybody switched your guage cluster Lx to MSP or any other similer switch??????????????

SpicyMcHaggis has done a DX - MSP swap. Don't know how though. Patience young grasshopper. Some times it may take a bit for a response for such a specific question.

You will need to disassemble them most of the way anyway to get your odometer into the new gauges if that was the route you wanted to take.

From the Pics it looks like the Odometer doesnt come out at all.

So I would have to import the guage face (with needle attached) to the old cluster (with my actual odometer) inorder to get the milage corect.

If I just swap the whole cluster it will register the milage on the car where the cluster came from?

(If tru, that is stupid, used dealerships can then take a car with plenty of miles, and switch the cluster with a low milage wreak, and BOOM a new low mileage car)

Do I have this all right so far????

yeah, reason why over here they take your odomoeter readings at every registration renewal, and at change overs with the RTA (DMV for you guys)

its only illegal to alter a cars mileage

NDG4LIFE said:
From the Pics it looks like the Odometer doesnt come out at all.

So I would have to import the guage face (with needle attached) to the old cluster (with my actual odometer) inorder to get the milage corect.

If I just swap the whole cluster it will register the milage on the car where the cluster came from?

(If tru, that is stupid, used dealerships can then take a car with plenty of miles, and switch the cluster with a low milage wreak, and BOOM a new low mileage car)

Do I have this all right so far????

The odometer is permanently attached to the circuit board which is what you want to keep. Everything else can be swapped onto your board/odometer.

I am changing the bulbs in my gauge cluster too. I was able to get the speedometer and tach needles off fine. I undid the screws first, then pulled the servo off the back, instead of pulling the needles off the front. However, the small gauges appear to be a lot more fragile, and I broke the fuel gauge. I ordered a replacement cluster on car-part.com. I didn't have to take off the temp gauge to do my mod...

Since mine is a 99, mine are all green. I was able to sand off all of the green backing around the numbers to leave them white in preparation for the new blue led's I am putting in.

You could then potentially leave all the white bulbs in and paint the numbers, leaving the option to you to completely customize your color scheme. I did some tests on a two-tone scheme, and changed my mind; however, some normal Testes paint from any store that sells plastic models will work just fine. Be sure to buy some thinner too in case you don't like what you see.

NOTE: Use 400 grit or higher for the sanding. You can use a fine-point set of pliers to pop out the needle posts. You can see it in the tool pic below.

These are all 600x450

Pics with the gauges already sanded:
Broken Gauge- you can see its the pin that broke, not the needle itself. I am now using that needle for experimentation to see if I can get a different needle color, too.
Speedometer - Back Front Against the light: Back
Tachometer - Back front
My Custom Fine Point Sanding "Tool
Fuel and Temp - Back Front
My Two-Tone test - keep in mind this was after the first pass with the brush, so the blue looks a little inconsistent.

Last edited:
Sorry, fixing that post. I downloaded a new extension in firefox that screwed that up.

Well i'm new to the forums and like yall i got my gauges on, the tach and speedo, but I busted the temp needle. So when I get my new cluster where do I make the slits on the gauges to make them fit over the needles?

Welcome!

anywhere that you think will hide it best, really. Don't cut a section out, just do a nice sharp slice (use a fresh x-acto blade for best cut) that will leave the smallest visible slit. Keep in mind that there are two gauges in a row, so probably in line with the two of them straight down.

Though I haven't had to do that, so I can't say for certain.

Thats what I was thinking...plus i just though of doing like what the how to said and go all the way and take the gauges clean off to see if that dosent give me any play with the needles...

Thanks for the info though.

Back