How To: EGR Removal and Cleaning for Rough Idle Fix

wait, you're trying to argue with someone who already knows more than you about this subject without even searching and reading to begin with?

just like how you shouldn't talk back to your mother, you shouldn't talk back to someone who is more experienced than you

and im not trying to argue with anyone, i admit i have no experience.
but i don't even know anything about the previous owner or where the car was bought, what to bring for the warrenty how long it is.
i just assumed since its been so long and that it would be just my luck to have just missed out on it.

well just coz u bought it old,doesnt necessarely mean it is out of warrenty, could be life time...awating confirmation(flash)

Last edited:
it depends. I am pretty sure it is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty in most states. Some states like California and others who follow the same emissions standards, require it be warrantied until 80k miles I do not know about Canada though. You should see what you can do about reading through your warranty book as it will explain all of this. If you don't have one, I am pretty sure that you can download one from Mazda

If this is still under warranty, it is because of a later special warranty because Mazda realized how much their egr valves sucked on these cars. So it most likely will not be in your warranty book. Worth a look tho I guess.

Here's a thought...

Drive to the nearest Mazda dealership and ask.

Genius idea!

And yeah, where the previous owner or owners bought the car from has nothing to do with where you should be able to get warranty work done. If its under warranty, its under warranty, and if its not, its not. Or thats how it works in the States...

I have a 05 mazda 3. I know the EGR is in a different location then on the protege. do you think I could clean my the same way?

I just looked at it its the same kind you guys have. its in a really tight spot tho :/

Last edited:
Here's a thought...

Drive to the nearest Mazda dealership and ask.

Genius idea!

And yeah, where the previous owner or owners bought the car from has nothing to do with where you should be able to get warranty work done. If its under warranty, its under warranty, and if its not, its not. Or thats how it works in the States...

Or just call them on a telephone (thought)

BTW, if anyone's looking for the Canadian EGR valve, it's now listed on RockAuto.com as Part # EVG1124. It's actually $5 cheaper than the regular EGR valve they have on there (only $119). :)

BTW, if anyone's looking for the Canadian EGR valve, it's now listed on RockAuto.com as Part # EVG1124. It's actually $5 cheaper than the regular EGR valve they have on there (only $119). :)

I can't find this number on their webpage, their price is $216, not much different then Autozone.

i just got back from mazda today,
the warrenty is good for protege under 7 years old.
(so you'd need to have an '03)

but i got mine replaced free today, and they can check with your VIN,
just call them

Can anyone tell me if the egr valve is located at the same spot in the 1.6, i took a quick look and didnt see anything that looks like it, ill have to look better tomorow

you can't see it unless you remove the hose connecting the maf to the tb
it would be direcly undernieth the tb

well i found it, sprayed some crown T40 on the srews this morning, then waited like an hour before trying to get the screws out. Got them out with no problem at all. Used a vice grip to get the 4 small screws off. I used the wire wheel on the whole thing because it was pretty rusty, cleaned the inside with picks and brushed and stuff, gave it a varosole bath and put it all back together with fresh screws, oiled her with 5w30 and put her back on. Didint notice any change in the idling, but I didnt really go test it yet.

She was very dirty do haha

i meant drive it around, i just turned it on to make sure it started properly, then had to go back to work. Thats what i meant.

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased another EGR valve for this 1.6 L engine after removing and cleaning had no effect. I did find the metal vacuum tube coming off the EGR port was plugged with carbon.

The new valve had no effect, CEL back on. Don't know if it could be a bad boost sensor (I believe that's what the rubber hose connected to the metal tube is).

I got the valve from Clearlyauto.com, about $35 less then Onlinemnazdaparts.com.

When you fix something that has to do with the CEL, do not reset the light, instead; let it ride so you'll know IF and when the light do turn off by itself - then problem solved.

I fixed my second CEL at 121k (first one by Mazda under warranty at 38K for MAF) by replacing the downstream O2 Sensor based on a Sensor code, kept the light on - 500 miles later it disappeared. The third CEL popped up around 125k, didn't know what code it was but replaced upstream O2 sensor, new NGK Platinum plugs and Ignition Wires (all which needs to be replaced anyway); kept light on and drove for more than 800 miles - light disappeared, now car has 129,000 miles and the CEL remained off.

In your case, just drive it for about 800-1,000 miles first, wait and see if the CEL resets (hopefully it does) then you're set.

When you fix something that has to do with the CEL, do not reset the light, instead; let it ride so you'll know IF and when the light do turn off by itself - then problem solved.

I fixed my second CEL at 121k (first one by Mazda under warranty at 38K for MAF) by replacing the downstream O2 Sensor based on a Sensor code, kept the light on - 500 miles later it disappeared. The third CEL popped up around 125k, didn't know what code it was but replaced upstream O2 sensor, new NGK Platinum plugs and Ignition Wires (all which needs to be replaced anyway); kept light on and drove for more than 800 miles - light disappeared, now car has 129,000 miles and the CEL remained off.

In your case, just drive it for about 800-1,000 miles first, wait and see if the CEL resets (hopefully it does) then you're set.

that doesnt always work. it may work right after so many cycles but it can always come back. Also just because the CEL light goes off the code is still stored in the computer.

Back