How To: DIY Ground Wire Kit

very interesting to read and look at. hmm i may think about doing it now. good job man. any noticeable gain in hp or torque? - chris

i'm not going to say anything about power without dyno'ing the car b/c I simply can't tell if its throttle response or a actual power increase. I can tell a differnece in how the car drives. It seems to pull harder in the midrange. I don't rev my car more than I have to because of its age and mileage, so I can't reallly comment on anything above 5000rpm.

The idle is the same, but it doesn't vibrate the steering wheel like it used to. It only does it when the a/c comp kicks on, but just breifly.

I also noticed my subs don't dim my headlights hardly at all if I turn it ALL the way up. Back when I first installed my system I used to blast the sub and my headlights would dim noticeably. I never do this to begin with so it isn't a problem for me, but its something to note if you have a insane stereo system. I had to park my car, and shine the lights at a building to see the lights dim, and even then, it was difficult to see.

My headlights seem to be about the same, i don't really know for sure if they are "brighter" but other people seem to have good luck with their lights getting brighter as a result of this mod.

I would recomend doing this to any car I made one for mine for about 27 dollars using gold plated terminals and 10 gauge wire. I noticed a difference, engine seemed to work smoother

RX-KEVIN said:
I would recomend doing this to any car I made one for mine for about 27 dollars using gold plated terminals and 10 gauge wire. I noticed a difference, engine seemed to work smoother

Yeah i met you at the meet. I was the one asking you about your MSP right before we left. Your kit inspired me to make my own...but i used 4-gauge wire.

I bought all the s*** off ebay. I already had the battery terminal from a different stereo install.

Just search ebay for "4 gauge amp kit" for the wiring, and "4 gauge terminals" for the terminals. I bought the $3.75 "stinger" terminals and a "blue/silver amp kit". But you can get red colored kits for about $5 cheaper if you look.

Make sure you compare shipping prices. They like to rape you on shipping for these amp kits. I paid $8.50 for shipping which is about right b/c it is heavier than most things you typically buy (like 7 lbs). A lot of the assholes on ebay try to charge $20 for shipping a friggin amp kit via UPS ground! Mine was shipped next day air for some reason.......:shrug:

I'm home now for Carlisle, and I just filled my tank up.

To my surprise. I travelled 172.2 miles on 5.412 gallons, which translates into 31.8mpg. The highest I've gotten prior to this was 30.9, so there is an obvious improvement in fuel economy as a result of these wires.

And just to clarify...when I travel home, I travel from an altitude of 1500 ft to about 50 ft which may or may not be a factor. I travel through mountainous valley's and crap, and always seem to get 2mpg better on the way home than the way up to school.

Also, I didn't have the a/c on...just my stereo at normal volume and my blower fan on at "1" blowing cool fresh air into the car. I was averaging about 65mph and wasn't driving hard at all during the whole trip.

I normally average 29.5 on this trip and about 28.5 on the way back up to school. I document every time I fill up with gas and keep track of my fuel economy religiously. I'll post any updates when I fill my car up next.

how about this one?
pbin4.jpg
14.95 each but $14.00 for delivery?

and for terminasl
8gring2.jpg

8gring1.jpg

Would it be just as benificial to route the wires in replacement fashion to the stock wires? Or is the stock location part of the problem? Any components that I should attach ground wires to that wouldn't normaly see them?

I think Bijou-MP5 was asking if there was a benefit in making your own compared to the kits available from ebay.

I would rather run blue wires, but he ebay kits are very hassle free. There are no blue wire kits on ebay.

Has anyone done a dyno comparison on this?

Back