How To Accelerate from a Stop

MacAttack7

:
2011 Mazda2 Sport (Manual)
This is a dumb question, but what is the best technique to accelerate from a dead stop, especially on a slight hill (without using the handbrake).

I've got 17,000 miles now & all is well except when I need to take off fast or take off from a stop on an uphill incline.
The problem is you just "barely" touch the throttle & the rpm's shoot up to 2500-3000 instantly.

Taking off when not in a hurry is ok because I just kind of baby the pedal & try to listen to the engine & feel when things start moving together, but when I have to do all of this in a hurry I always send the rpm's way too high.

So maybe I just don't know how to drive this type of clutch/transmission combination. I'm used to my old 1993 pickup truck.
So anyway, how should I be doing it (ignoring the handbrake method)?

go to a hill and practice going from a stand-still with your foot on the brake and clutch in and in first gear, to lifting you foot of the brake, feather the clutch and leveling off without rocking back and forth.

Or just put the car in neutral on a flat road and easily let off the clutch until the car starts to move. Remember how far out the clutch is when the car starts to move. also develop a sensitivity for the gas pedal by controlling the revs while in neutral, so you know how much throttle to give the car so you wont hit even 1500rpm when ur starting to move. I drove barefooted to get a good feeling when i was learning to drive stick, and i did it when i was adjusting from the pro5 to the mazda 3. after a little practice, i am able to take off at 1200-1500rpm on a hill.

I have Type 1 diabetes and neuropathy in my feet, so clutch engagement is a bit problematic. I've gotten fairly good with the 2 but if the exhaust was a just a little louder, I'd be happier. I think that I could find the 'slip point' better. When the radio is playing, I'm worse. Windows down and radio off, I'm better.

John

Install a muffler like racing beat's. My gf mentioned that her car is easier to drive now because she
Can actually hear the motor/exhaust while driving.

Install a muffler like racing beat's. My gf mentioned that her car is easier to drive now because she
Can actually hear the motor/exhaust while driving.

Exactly! I stalled the crap out of my 2 until I got the RB.

Back