How many have locked keys in the car?

Haha Avoidin Deer, I actually did do that one time. It was in the early 1970's. I was a stoner at the time and that may have contributed to the situation. I went to the grocery store, put my '62 Chevy in park, got out and locked the door by pushing down the lock button and closing the door as was my habit and went shopping. About 15 minutes later I came out to find my car still running with the doors locked and key in the ignition. Luckily in those days you could open the hood from the outside which I did and then pulled the coil wire to shut down the engine.
I carried my bags of groceries for several blocks back to my apartment where I had a spare key to the front door concealed outside, and was able to enter and retrieve an extra set of car keys. Walked back to the grocery store, reconnected the coil wire, started the car and drove back home.
After that I always had a spare car key concealed on the outside in case of emergencies. Never had to use one though, knock on wood.

Haha Avoidin Deer, I actually did do that one time. It was in the early 1970's.
Yeh, I got stories.

The problem with these cars is that everything is passive. After a year, I still sometimes reach to turn the key off. It's just so easy to get out and walk away...

Yeh, I got stories.

After a year, I still sometimes reach to turn the key off. It's just so easy to get out and walk away...

I had buddy who learned on stick. When he got automatic few yrs later, he'd pull off from light and his arm/hand would reach for shifter, left foot would float in air looking for clutch. He'd then shake his head.

This happened for months before habit broke.

I had buddy who learned on stick. When he got automatic few yrs later, he'd pull off from light and his arm/hand would reach for shifter, left foot would float in air looking for clutch. He'd then shake his head.

This happened for months before habit broke.
I'm the same way. Until a few years ago I had a 1990 Volvo 740 manual floor shift along with my automatic column shift 2005 Canyon pickup. I would switch back & forth, and would stomp my left foot down when I'd come to a stop in the Canyon. Fortunately, I never got in the Volvo and thought it was automatic when I came to a stop.

I still have the truck and sometimes reach for the column shifter when in my CX-5 and reach for the parking brake with my left foot. I just drove the truck this morning and reached for the floor shift to put it into drive.

It's crazy. I look like Joe Cocker flailing behind the wheel.

Back