How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Buzz

Is the gracenote only available via the dealer?

Only I find the voice activation to be very poor, compared the my Nexus 7 its from the stone age.

At the moment I believe so. Mazda customers services didn't know how to download the latest version and the owner's manual and wesbite do not explain either.

I only really use voice control for making phone calls but as my car no longer works with my phone, I currently don't use it at all! Though I understand that (with the USB issue) it could save time getting the last track to play again more quickly ;) I need to make some time to get more out of it.

Also, I keep getting the bluetooth and music note symbols pop up on my screen every few seconds. It's very annoying when trying to read the sat nav! Is this a crap design feature?

Like you, I really didn't appreciate the qualities of another brand's set up, until I started to play around with the Mazda system. BMW professional HD sat nav / USB/ idrive system is far, far superior to Mazda's.

Overall, I do really like the car and believe its excellent value for money.

I agree entirely Buzz. Superb car but I wish they'd taken just 3 minutes longer when designing the stereo/nav system etc. Those featured on the German marques, even some budget brands, really do put it to shame.

I keep getting the bluetooth and music note symbols pop up on my screen every few seconds

It shows those symbols on mine once when it first connects, then thats the last I see of them.
If I'm in the car without my phone bluetooth on, I don't think I see them at all - or maybe just once.
Sounds like its constantly connecting/dropping, or polling and not authenticating properly.

Would be very happy to see an update to fix the USB restart always from track #1. Keep us posted.

It shows those symbols on mine once when it first connects, then thats the last I see of them.
If I'm in the car without my phone bluetooth on, I don't think I see them at all - or maybe just once.
Sounds like its constantly connecting/dropping, or polling and not authenticating properly.

Would be very happy to see an update to fix the USB restart always from track #1. Keep us posted.

The CD player, starts from where it stopped. Why Mazda screwed it up for the USB is beyond me! Very frustrating. I'll post here if I get any responses from Mazda.

Working for me.

Live Traffic failed yet again a few weeks ago, so a pleasant change to see the Traffic Bar. Long may it last.

So at this point I ought to thank Tom Tom for reaching a solution.

However (there is always a but) Every time I phoned to report there was a fault I went through the "self fix" procedure on the telephone, and EVERY Time I was told "This is a hardware matter, we at TomTom are only responsible for the Software, so you will need to return to your dealer who will need to replace the unit" That was done several times in my case, and as it now transpires was totally needless.

I quote:-

The reference number for your query is 130402-003665.

Unfortunately the issues you have described are beyond the support of TomTom Customer Care. They are not related to the TomTom software installed on your automotive product. We can confirm that the issue is hardware related and no action taken on software will resolve this. The unit itself requires replacement.

For this reason we kindly request that you speak to your dealer who can advise further on resolving the issue.

When the unit is replaced, it's serial number and sim id will be different to correspond to the different parts in the new device.

For the dealer’s reference, please provide the TomTom incident number (130402-003665.) and if possible a printed copy of the email communication you have had with our support team. This will assist the dealer in finding the right resolution for you. If they have any issues at all, or wish to have this confirmed, please have the dealership call us and quote the reference number above to confirm the issue.

The point I'm trying to make is that I was steered by TomTom towards Mazda and consequently Mazda customer service has received most of my venom.

So in conclusion, thanks to TomTom for sending me on a wild goose chase for 3 units plus 3 "assessment" visits at my dealership and blaming Mazda and undermining my confidence in the brand as a consequence.

Therefore TomTom, you owe Mazda as well as us the consumers a huge apology.

Alex

Last edited:
That's assuming its a fix, not a cock up.

so is this the fix that Mazda CS told me I'd have to go to the dealer to have down loaded?

That's assuming its a fix, not a cock up.

so is this the fix that Mazda CS told me I'd have to go to the dealer to have down loaded?

Same fix that TomTom told me was a hardware issue and a complete replacement unit was required.

xtrailman and anyone else for that matter re "Live Services" subscription, a quick e-mail to TomTom or even better a phone call and they may well offer you a little something.

Alex

Afternoon from a newbie !

Working for me.

Live Traffic failed yet again a few weeks ago, so a pleasant change to see the Traffic Bar. Long may it last.

So at this point I ought to thank Tom Tom for reaching a solution.

However (there is always a but) Every time I phoned to report there was a fault I went through the "self fix" procedure on the telephone, and EVERY Time I was told "This is a hardware matter, we at TomTom are only responsible for the Software, so you will need to return to your dealer who will need to replace the unit" That was done several times in my case, and as it now transpires was totally needless.

I quote:-

The reference number for your query is 130402-003665.

Unfortunately the issues you have described are beyond the support of TomTom Customer Care. They are not related to the TomTom software installed on your automotive product. We can confirm that the issue is hardware related and no action taken on software will resolve this. The unit itself requires replacement.

For this reason we kindly request that you speak to your dealer who can advise further on resolving the issue.

When the unit is replaced, it's serial number and sim id will be different to correspond to the different parts in the new device.

For the dealers reference, please provide the TomTom incident number (130402-003665.) and if possible a printed copy of the email communication you have had with our support team. This will assist the dealer in finding the right resolution for you. If they have any issues at all, or wish to have this confirmed, please have the dealership call us and quote the reference number above to confirm the issue.

The point I'm trying to make is that I was steered by TomTom towards Mazda and consequently Mazda customer service has received most of my venom.

So in conclusion, thanks to TomTom for sending me on a wild goose chase for 3 units plus 3 "assessment" visits at my dealership and blaming Mazda and undermining my confidence in the brand as a consequence.

Therefore TomTom, you owe Mazda as well as us the consumers a huge apology.

Alex

Excuse a simple question from a newbie but got my new CX-5 a couple of months ago and not really had chance to get things set-up as away with work alot.
How do I go about downloading this update on my car ?
Can I do update it sat on my drive or is it a trip back to the dealer ?

Itried to connect to the live services from day one but had no joy and again no time to deal with it etc

Many thanks in advance.

Ps also a quick question regarding a boot protector, with a new son, hence the new car, we now have the pram in and out constantly and it's obviously beginning to cause a right old mess.
Any options other than paying out the dealers price for the bootliner protector ?

Excuse a simple question from a newbie but got my new CX-5 a couple of months ago and not really had chance to get things set-up as away with work alot.
Ps also a quick question regarding a boot protector, with a new son, hence the new car, we now have the pram in and out constantly and it's obviously beginning to cause a right old mess.
Any options other than paying out the dealers price for the bootliner protector ?

You can buy any plastic sheet / protector. I use a grey one with red edging that it now 8yrs old. I recall buying it from Argos for around 10.
It's large enough so that it also covers the back of the rear seats that face the boot. Usual boot protectors don't cover this area.

I have the hard plastic liner, it has a good lip on it so it holds any water that runs from my fishing gear, as it did yesterday, 5 hours match fishing in the rain.

Itried to connect to the live services from day one but had no joy and again no time to deal with it etc

Many thanks in advance.

You need to set up a tomtom account I believe, I've done it but my memory is terrible. This activates the live services, assuming your dealer hasn't done it for you, once activated your trail starts to work.

I tried to connect to the live services from day one but had no joy and again no time to deal with it etc

Many thanks in advance ?

Have a look at the help pages on the Tomtom forum, they should save you time.

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Bu...ind-the-SD-card-in-the-Mazda-CX-5/td-p/610464

and

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Built-in-car-navigation/Tips-Updating-Mazda-CX-5-Nav/td-p/278423

Its really a combination of downloading Tomtom Home software to your pc, setting up a user account, taking out the sd card, updating the freemap update and rebooting the sd card in the CX5.

Alternatives are readily available on eBay. I bought one a while back, can't remember the exact price but it was a fraction of the dealer price. Works well

I'll be attempting the new Tomtom fix soon, but only once Tomtom re-credit my account with extended live services which they promised to do once they issued the update. My live service sub expired a few weeks back and made it clear, not a penny more to Mazda or Tomtom until they issue a fix that works.

My phone has been ringing off the hook today with missed calls from the Mazda CS guys and Newport Mazda gave me a call. Certainly wasn't expecting the fix to be released this way. CS explained it was more of an involved, back to the dealership kind of process. However, will take what we can get these days.

Gave it a good test today.

Live services initiated within two minutes of start-up and worked perfectly all morning.

Worked 100% into the heart of the Cotswolds.

My return journey the traffic bar disappeared between Stow on the Wold and Air Balloon roundabout. Came on again at J 11 M5 Gloucester, went off J 19 Gordano and stayed off until J 23. I did check weather which was ok.

Looks like spasmodic live traffic, but live services unaffected.

Guess is now more stable.

Will be interesting to see if the "compensation" will be provided on an individual basis.

Alex

I finally spoke to Mazda CS (bless them, they tried me 3 times when I was working so couldn't really answer) and they are working their way down the list of customers. I did get an offer of compensation in writing from them today via email (though not formally accepted it!). I'd expect we will all get much the same, but a few people who really got the run around should push for more. Just wait and see if Tomtom keep their promise about re-crediting my lost subscription time so I can test it properly. Suspect that will be sometime next week given how slow they've been in the past.

So far, so good. I did the update from the SD card, the network reset and logged back to live services in after work this evening (as I know I have decent vodafone near my office). Worked all the way back along the M4 and even up through darkest Monmouthshire and back home. Will be a decent test of how well it works when I set off from home (where vodafone is a dead zone for reception) and how quickly it acquires the signal again when I've been parked up for a day or so. Promising.

Back