How loud is too loud ,idle engine

Gerwalk

:
2014 Mazda CX-5
Hi! I just recently (as in today) purchased a new 2014 CX-5 GT 2.5l. I'm very happy with it except one thing keeps bothering me. Once I got it home I walked around it with the engine running and noticed how loud the engine was when idle. No a/c or fan was turned on at tge time.

Now granted, my previous vehicle was a V6 Hyundai Tiburon, which was quiet as a mouse when idle unless it was cold. So this may just be something I need to get used to, but it's bugging me to no end.

To be more specific, it just sounds like a loud purr more than anything. I can barely hear it while inside with the windows up, the tach reads nice and low as well. This is after driving for about an hour, so it certainly wasn't cold.

I've looked high and low online to no avail. If anyone can let me know if I'm worrying myself crazy about nothing , that would be appreciated!

Normal. In fact when you start it cold it sounds like a tractor for the first 15 seconds! I also have a straight 6 2011 BMW 328xi that is always quiet. In 2012 they changed the 328 model to a turbo 4 which also sounds like a tractor. I can't say all, but many modern 4 cylinder engines are noisy when standing next to them. As long as you can't hear it inside the cabin enjoy.

Ah, thank you! Describing it like a tractor is just about right. I actually stuck my ear in front of it after I came home from work this morning and it's mostly just fan noise doing it's business. Just louder business than I'm accustomed to.

Thanks again; saved me an hour long trip to my dealership today!

I believe some of what you're hearing can be attributed to thin wall engine castings which help reduce weight, but don't do much for noise abatement. If it's any consolation, mine seems to have gotten quieter as the miles pile on (currently 6500).

Really? I wish it could sound like a G35/37/Fx exhaust. Make it 3x louder and should sound better.

Normal and not too loud. Because when sitting in drivers seat or passenger seat, the engine can barely be heard at idle.

Also owner of a loud CX-5, the first 20 seconds were scary when I bought it. Now it's normal. No worries so long as it's not loud in the cabin.

The thing that really threw me when I walked behind our new car is the idle speed. It is just about 550 RPM which is way lower than anything I have had since a Chevy truck V8. I think this is part of what gives the idle such a distinctive sound.

Isn't this the so called AWS feature described in the Quick Start Guide and Owners Manual? High (and loud) cold idle until the catalyst is warmed to operating temp?

Hi! I just recently (as in today) purchased a new 2014 CX-5 GT 2.5l. I'm very happy with it except one thing keeps bothering me. Once I got it home I walked around it with the engine running and noticed how loud the engine was when idle. No a/c or fan was turned on at tge time.

Now granted, my previous vehicle was a V6 Hyundai Tiburon, which was quiet as a mouse when idle unless it was cold. So this may just be something I need to get used to, but it's bugging me to no end.

To be more specific, it just sounds like a loud purr more than anything. I can barely hear it while inside with the windows up, the tach reads nice and low as well. This is after driving for about an hour, so it certainly wasn't cold.

I've looked high and low online to no avail. If anyone can let me know if I'm worrying myself crazy about nothing , that would be appreciated!

The thing that really threw me when I walked behind our new car is the idle speed. It is just about 550 RPM which is way lower than anything I have had since a Chevy truck V8. I think this is part of what gives the idle such a distinctive sound.

Ma new 2013 Mazda 3 varies between 750 and 550. I've never had a car that doesn't always have the same number at idle. Seems like something is wrong

A friend of mine has a 2008 Mercedes E350 (previous gen) with the old 3.5L 90 degree V6 engine and took it to dealer for service last month.

His loaner car for 2 days was a new E350 with new direct-injected 3.5L V6, he described it as "cheap-sounding engine", this was his first experience with DI.

Last edited:
Now the weather is colder my diesel has stopped revving high on startup, but when it does its showing higher revs than the vid, looks like 1750 rpm, not 1500 rpm.

This system makes no sense to me, even when it was summer the car would high rev on occasions, not every time.

Does anyone have a clue what's happening, all my dealer said was that it was normal, and for warming up the cat, so why isn't its action repetitive??

Mazda USA Just posted video about this 2 days ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMyvgJjkcO4

Now the weather is colder my diesel has stopped revving high on startup, but when it does its showing higher revs than the vid, looks like 1750 rpm, not 1500 rpm.

I don't think AWS (the video) is applicable to a diesel. It changes the timing so that it dumps fuel into the exhaust which then gets ignited. I don't think you can really pull that sort of tricks with a diesel since you really have no spark plug to delay the det. until it's in the exhaust.

Back