How do i get the downpipe out?

zinger002

:
2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed6
how did anyone get the downpipe out of the engine bay? i just cant get it out without removing alot more parts then i want to. any help is appreciated.

The most easiest way is to take the exh mani out. That way, you wouldnt have to loosen any engine mounts. All that's left is the heat shields, and bolts that hold the stock dp to the engine which are 2 14mm nuts under the car. Piece of cake man.

What did you do with the turbo? did you take of your tip and intake?
i dont want to have to undo and take out the turbo. Will the turbo stay in place if i get the mani out? mind you i have my fmic pipes also holding it up still. I just dont want to mess my car up too bad.

this is how i feel
IMAG0066.jpg

that your period blood all over the cat?
because your being a real vagina. lol. (if that was directed at me)

Last edited:
Lol @ pic.

No, you don't have to take the turbo out. You can take out the tip and sri and batt just so you can get to your mani bolts easier. Be aware that the nuts on the mani aren't magnetic so try not to drop them. The nuts behind the turbo are the hardest to get to. So 14mm ratcheting wrenches are your best friend for those little fuckers.

from there, then what does the turbo just float lol. do the lines flex? i just dont want to damage anything.

did anyone post a DIY/How To on any of the forums? about to tackle this myself. hopefully jackstands + ghetto tools will be sufficient, haha. i knew this kid that had a bmw and paid $500 just for INSTALLATION of his downpipes. **** that. imma ghetto rig my s*** and use the $500 on hoes.

You could def still do it on jack stands in your driveway, I've helped my friend do it like that. I did mine on a lift. Most of the time you'll be working in the engine bay though. If all goes well, you're looking at a 7-9 hour job by yourself. Having a friend would probably cut some time. PB Blaster, and a 14mm ratcheting wrench are your best friend. O2 sensors are a mofo to get out. Especially the top one. And like I said, the fastest way is to just pull the exhaust mani out so you don't have to loosen any engine mounts and just pull the top half right out of the engine with the mani out of the way. Enjoy that install.

To get an idea, look at Corksports installation instructions for their downpipe online, their way is pretty difficult, but it kinda helped figure out where most things are.

I could post a how to, i didnt take any pictures but i could easily describe the steps i took to getting it out.

after i got the mani off, the rest took an hour and a half for re-assembly.

Someone make changes or additions as they see fit.
NEEDED: 14mm box end style ratchet wrench
14mm off set close ended wrench
22mm o2 sensor socket
lots of other misc sockets/extensions
a strap of some sort is necessary for removal of the bolts of the manifold.
THEY ARE NOT MAGNETIC SO DO NOT DROP THEM! lol
1.) Take off the hood.
2.) Take out your battery and the turbo inlet/intake setup.
3.) Jack up the car, remove the bottom oxygen sensor
4.) Remove the rear/second cat
5.) Remove the middle pipes, best description evar!!!!
6.) Crawl foreward and look for the plate holding the top cat in place, remove the two bolts.
7.) lower the car and take off all the heat shields you can see.
8.) take off the 4 bolts holding on the turbo, there is a bracket holding up that pos k04, and its like 12 lbs anyhow lol.
9.) Take off all the nuts holding on the mnifold, i think there was 11.
10.) Remove the oil line thats attatched to the manifold.
11.) pull out the manifold.
12.) undo the 5 bolts holding on the down pipe.
13.) remove, reinstall and reverse steps.

hope i got all the steps, i just has no pics!

Last edited:
haha, thats how i felt after getting that b**** out.... sounds like you got it back together.... make sure everything is buttoned up.

also is your dp clanking on the bottom frame brace? mine was triggering knock retard

haha, thats how i felt after getting that b**** out.... sounds like you got it back together.... make sure everything is buttoned up.

also is your dp clanking on the bottom frame brace? mine was triggering knock retard

no, but i have a gnarly exhaust leak at the stock cat back transition, car sounds like a tractor. LOLZ!

i did gat it back togeather, all in all the hardest part was me being an idiot and taking the hard route. Once i decided to take the manifold off, it was only about 3 hours till my car had its new "Quick" tune and was off and tractor sounding lol.

you guys are awesome. thanks for the info! gonna be making some moves on a turbo back in like 2 weeks. real excited for the results!

with a decent tune, car feels sick. the same 350z who always trys to run with me on the trace, but keeps up if behind me, didnt want to today, so i have no idea how much faster my car got. track day again tomorrow!

14mm wrench box end wrench, 14mm wratchet wrench, 14mm regular wrench, 14mm socket, length of rope, gloves.

you need to get creative lol.

Back