horn honk when lock/unlock

Jmike27

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES 5-speed
On my 01 protege when locking/unlocking the car with either the remote or the door switch the horn honks. its not the manliest horn plus i come home late from work and i don't want to disturb my neighbors so i typically lock all four doors manually. I want to disable the honk but not loose my horn entirely. I used to own an 03 msp and its horn didn't sound when locking/unlocking. I've read the manual and it says nothing of how to disable the horn.

So is there a way to turn off that function or did my msp just have a completely different system? the guy at the dealer knew nothing.

Normally if you only press lock once, there is no honk. Twice is when the honk occurs. At least that's how it is on my 01 ES

thats strange. my 01 es always honks with one push, on the remote and the door lock button. its gotta just be a setting then.

Door lock button honk? I have to try it. Mine honks only after the second lock attempt but I have an 03 P5. Me I rather have it honk and tell me it's locked.

Yeah, 'cause I'd be right there with you on the obnoxious meter if my car honked every time I pressed the lock button. Our horns aren't exactly the most threatening lol. Hm, I'd look into that or you could always get an aftermarket alarm system if it bugs you that much.

Mine honks the first click, it might just be the type of alarm that people have. I don't know why it would be different for everyone though...as far as disabling it goes, It is most likely just a wire on the alarm itself under the driver side dash. Maybe just clip it?

Back