Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else....

dan4behr

'07 MZ5Touring manual
:
07 Mazda 5 Touring manual-Plum Mica
Traveling down a road a few weeks ago, I encountered a section that was undergoing repairs. The road crews had stripped the top layer of asphalt from the roadway in anticipation of putting down a new layer. It was twilight and I didn't see the manhole cover jutting up 3" or so above the rest of the road - I sure heard it though. BOOM! To say it resonated throughout the car would be an understatement. I guess I hit it about 35-40 mph.

Bottom line - two new tires for the right side of the car, right front wheel rim bent pretty bad and I'm sure an alignment needs to be thrown in there too. The 50-series tire doesn't have a lot of "leeway" as far as protecting the rims from road damage...

fwiw...the Mazda stealership quoted me $508 for a replacement OEM 17" wheel! I'm trying a wheel repair outfit that got good reviews online. I sent pix and they think they can fix it with little problem ($150).

Expensive little date with that cover, huh?

PS...city told me no dice on any reimbursement for repairs.

Wow, that stinks, I feel for you on that one. Not too surprising the city told you to pound sand...jerks. Any chance you can find a replacement wheel on Craigslist?

I did check CR. Prices for a used wheel ranged from $140-200+

The alloy wheel repair company came recommended by a nice fella at the Mazda dealership. I guess he heard me stop breathing and nearly fall out when they quoted me for the new rim. I figured I give the wheel repair a try when they told me it would be a fairly straightforward fix. I was concerned about getting somebody else's damaged wheel from CR.

i hit a pothole years ago and blew out my tire and damaged the rim. I didn't know it at the time but my city covers these things.

Yah if they didn't visibly mark or tag the pothole, or indicate with some warning signs about these hazards, they should be responsible.

I ran over a dead deer the other day on the highway going 70. My alignment is horrible, and my struts are trashed along with the right side of my bumper. I seriously think I got air.

Yah if they didn't visibly mark or tag the pothole, or indicate with some warning signs about these hazards, they should be responsible.

I had to make several inquiries. First to the City. They told me the stretch of road was state DOT. So, I called them. I was asked for information on what happened, where and when. Shortly afterward a legal rep contacted me and told me pretty much that the road was marked as being under construction and implied motorists proceed AYOR. I got the feeling it would be not be worth it to try for a legal battle. They'd probably hold it up from court until the car was rust dust.
I'm a wuss, I know. I just said 'screw it'... I want my car back to normal ASAP....

Last edited:
Craigslist is good.

Crazedlist is AWESOME!!!

Allows you to search entire regions. I have found exactly what I needed in a pinch when nothing local was popping up.

michael.

try looking in the FS section here, the wheels from a 3 will fit the 5, might find some cheap, and a different look to boot.

try looking in the FS section here, the wheels from a 3 will fit the 5, might find some cheap, and a different look to boot.

Look for wheels from a 6 as well. Or you could pimp it out w/RX-8 or Mazdaspeed wheelies!

I ended up taking the car to the alloy wheel repair shop the dealer parts guy recommended. Other than the fact he looked like he was maybe 18, the wheel came out fine. He looked at it, told me it was no problem and that he usually sees much worse. Then he jacked the car up and took the wheel inside. Took him maybe a half an hour and, lord, what a difference a round wheel makes! The new tires went on Saturday. Aligment...check.
All seems much right with the world.

Oh, and the little fella at the wheel rim repair place charged me $120 rather than the quoted 150.... seems it didn't take him as much as he thought it would to fix it right.

I had to make several inquiries. First to the City. They told me the stretch of road was state DOT. So, I called them. I was asked for information on what happened, where and when. Shortly afterward a legal rep contacted me and told me pretty much that the road was marked as being under construction and implied motorists proceed AYOR. I got the feeling it would be not be worth it to try for a legal battle. They'd probably hold it up from court until the car was rust dust.
I'm a wuss, I know. I just said 'screw it'... I want my car back to normal ASAP....

Just because they said it doesn't mean it's true. Call your insurance company. You sold the risk of damage to your car to them. They'll pay off and collect from the DOT.

Back