Hitch Question

SplitRaindrop

:
looking at a CX7
My boyfriend is looking at a CX7 but we have to have a hitch. Is the hitch installed at the factory or the dealership? If they do them at the factory we would of course want it that way but if it's aftermarket anyway we might just take it somewhere else to have it done.

Thanks!

They can theoretically come installed from the factory, but you will never find one. They are installed at the dealer. It is expensive, but it looks better than after market installs. It looks factory.

I don't know if they mentioned or would install this when doing the hitch, but consider getting a transmission oil cooler as well. When towing, extra strain is put on the transmission. keeping the transmission oil cool will help prolong its life. I have heard that some manufactures install these coolers from the factory when cars are ordered with the hitch as part of the trailer hitch package. I'm sure one can be installed as an after market option. money spent now may save you more money down the road.

The heat generated in the transmission comes mostly from shifting (automatics). And its worse during smooth shifts (low load shifts). The best way to combat heat would be leaving your trans in a tow mode or turning overdrive off. This will help in preventing your transmission from constantly "searching" for gears. Sometimes that overdrive will go in and out looking for the right gear, and that causes lots of friction and thus heat

you could get an oil cooler if you want, but i dont think you need it for the trans. I would say that you could upgrade your differential housing plate to one with a heat sink

how much are you towing and what engine do you have?

I have a Hidden Hitch installed on mine. Was less than 200 bucks, an hour and a few beers to have it installed (with two people you can get it in without lowering the muffler), and looks exactly like factory.

I have a 4cyl cx7 I also have a 18ft boat. I wanted to know what would be a safe load for this to be towing. The hitch is rated @ 3500lbs which well above what the baot wieghs. But I am worried about the car being FWD and the loading ramps.

Boat weighs about 1500lbs.

Put a hitch on the front too

but seriously a wet boat ramp and a fwd doesnt sound like a good mix

It's not a problem at all. My Bow Rider and trailer weigh in at around 2700lbs and I have yet to have a major issue hauling it out of the water. You might get a little wheel spin if you lay into the throttle, but if you are gentle and smoothly and slowly roll into the throttle you'll be fine. Slow and smooth is what you are looking for. I do remember one time I was pulling out on a fairly steep ramp, but the traction control helped out and I was on my way.

Here's an image when I picked the boat up when we first got it:
cx7-boat.jpg

Back