Hitch Mounted Cargo Box (Stowaway2, etc.)

CaptainD

:
2011 Mazda CX-9
Hello; I've recently purchased a CX-9 (first CX-9; first Mazda). I love it so far, but it is a bit smaller than what I'm used to. Now that I'm preparing for a summer family vacation, I need to figure out how I'm going to fit everything.

There are plenty of posts here about roof mounted cargo carriers, but I don't see any mention of hitch mounted cargo boxes. I've been looking at the Stowaway2 Max (http://www.stowaway2.com/), but I would be open to anything.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I think I may need to get a hitch mounted cargo box AND a roof mounted cargo box (4 kids and a 90+ pound dog).

For what it's worth...I have already had a Class III hitch mounted onto the CX-9.

Thanks

I bought a cargo basket from GI Joes about 3 years ago when i bought my car. It just recently got crunched when someone ran into the back of me. I had the hardest time trying to find a replacement where I could walk in the store and buy one. I finally found the same one at Target for $80, $109 w/ shipping. It's just your basic metal basket, but it has the option for the 1 1/4 hitch, which none of the ones I could pick up had. The best part about it was that it's 60" wide, so I can fit a lot of extra crap on it. I still don't have enough room for ally my wife's camping gear though, so eventually i'm going to have to figure out some way to put some stuff on top...

Back